Gran Turismo Sport [PS4]

curious to see how this will end up on the Pro. Could be nice with 1080P Supasampling/4K. The details on the car models should be close to perfect.

I was considering buying a ps4pro mainly for GTsport, but they need to demonstrate that the game has a proper single player campaign like the previous games. I understand that a lot of people hate the credit grind, but for me that is GT and is what makes it more fun for me than other racing games. Online with credit grind looks to be the outcome right now, but I don't think it would be my thing.

Of course they still need to fix the AI, but for me, horrible rubberbanding AI is preferable to real people.

curious to see how this will end up on the Pro. Could be nice with 1080P Supasampling/4K. The details on the car models should be close to perfect.
Depends a lot on antialiasing method used, just rendering 1800p buffer and downscaling is really not enough. (1.66 subsamples in dimension per pixel is not good.)

With some TAA or edge AA, it could look great.

Did it actually run at 1080i? I thought they just did a really good job with upscaling the thing. Remember, back in the days before Digital Foundry discovered the 1024x768 (or something like that) resolution in Halo3, we assumed any game was running at the resolution printed on the back of the box. And we were happy:cry:

Did it actually run at 1080i? I thought they just did a really good job with upscaling the thing. Remember, back in the days before Digital Foundry discovered the 1024x768 (or something like that) resolution in Halo3, we assumed any game was running at the resolution printed on the back of the box. And we were happy:cry:
Honestly I can't remember. But we all did make a huge fuss about it on here at the time!

I think it was 540p up scaled.
Or was it 540p interlaced to make it look like 1080i?
1080i means sending out 540-line fields at 60Hz. In the case of GT4, these fields did not have very high horizontal res, so you could maybe say it was anamorphically rendered and horizontally upscaled (if we pretend that 1920 is somehow "native" for this context). IIRC the actual pixel rate was almost identical to the 480p60 mode.

the 1024x768 (or something like that) resolution in Halo3
1152x640.

IIRC the actual pixel rate was almost identical to the 480p60 mode.

This is what I remember. Someone involved with the game mentioned how it was barely more pixels than the mode they were already using. It's still impressive regardless.

This is what I remember. Someone involved with the game mentioned how it was barely more pixels than the mode they were already using. It's still impressive regardless.
No, i think its the oposite. Something more like what you just said.

It actually rendered at 640x540 and then horizontally upscaled by 3x and interlaced to a freakish pseudo 1080i. It did look little bit better than 480p.

I'm not sure if you are joking about the last part, but actually knowing and paying attention to resolutions certainly didn't start at Halo 3 or anything close to that. Perhaps for you it did, but not for "us". I'm sure majority of gamers still don't know or care.

Even the original Xbox had plenty of 720p games. Soul Calibur 2 running at 960x720 was glorious back then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_with_alternate_display_modes

Not to mention that resolutions have always been present in PC-gaming.

Many PS2 games were getting progressive scan support too and if you had a TV to handle that the image quality was night and day compared to the regular interlaced RGB image. (I remember having the opinion of it being at least similar to composite > RGB jump)

Last edited:
Well, Halo3 was certainly the first case of a debate on resolutions which got a more widespread traction. As for the old Xbox: Barely anyone had a TV that could make use of these kinds of rendering modes back in the day. High res crt tvs more or less skipped Europe entirely. Heck, unless you modded the thing, the European Xbox didn't even support higher resolution displays in the first place. As for PCs: they lived in an entirely different bubble during those times.

As for the old Xbox: Barely anyone had a TV that could make use of these kinds of rendering modes back in the day. High res crt tvs more or less skipped Europe entirely. Heck, unless you modded the thing, the European Xbox didn't even support higher resolution displays in the first place.

Yeah, not too many in Europe get to enjoy the first Xbox to it's fullest, but in the US the situation was a bit different. I personally had it modded and used a CRT-monitor with a third party VGA-box and later I had a 720P rear projection TV with component input, but that was already the same year the 360 came out. I also had a US model PS2 (still do) and enjoyed progressive scan in many games and also that pseudo 1080i mode in GT4.

Come to think of it, I actually think the Euro model of the first Xbox didn't even support progressive scan. The best cable you could get for it was the RGB one. At least you could choose PAL 60Hz as default output method. With the PS2, even that wasn't a given.

Well, Halo3 was certainly the first case of a debate on resolutions which got a more widespread traction. As for the old Xbox: Barely anyone had a TV that could make use of these kinds of rendering modes back in the day. High res crt tvs more or less skipped Europe entirely. Heck, unless you modded the thing, the European Xbox didn't even support higher resolution displays in the first place. As for PCs: they lived in an entirely different bubble during those times.
The debate with Halo 3 was that it rendered two low res images to make that beautiful HDRI effect in the final render. People fretted whether they should have used the power to render a higher res one image instead but the lighting artist in me drooled over the beautiful lighting that two framebuffers brought to the table.

That was the debate amongst the more knowledgable portion of the community. The other 95% was "Bungie/Halo/Xbox 360 is teh suxxorz cause something-something-resolution and stuff". It basically turned into the exact same pissing contest you can read under just about every DF analysis article comment section ever.

Anyways, I'm derailing the topic again. Sorry.

Last edited:
Come to think of it, I actually think the Euro model of the first Xbox didn't even support progressive scan. The best cable you could get for it was the RGB one. At least you could choose PAL 60Hz as default output method. With the PS2, even that wasn't a given.
Yes but at least the RGB mode on PS2 was of very good quality (even RCA was OK).

In Europe all OG XBX analog outputs (even RGB) were really crap with some kind of internal scaling. Ugh.

I meant the game overall was still technically impressive even if the 1080i mode was a bit of smoke and mirrors.
Did Digital Foundry write an article about classic Gran Turismo games? I didn't read them, because those are the GT games that I got to envy and admire. I also wonder if the famous flawless 60 fps of GT4 were also true or if it suffered from framerate drops.

On a different note, this video shows how is the sound of this game compared to Forza 6, although it's not from the final version.

Back