All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2016 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely, according to my completely made up calculations, the entire library of NES games can now fit in something the size of a MicroSD card? Wouldn't that be cooler? Am I being weird?

Well I have my Wiz and Arcade cabinet - but I really like the look of this so will likely end up getting one anyway (had the dad in the loft)

Last week japanese numbers if they could be taken as a reference for PS4P sales.

PS4 92K (+60K)
WiiU 2K
XB1 171

Just wondering does anyone have any projections/milestones for total/Q4 sales for the PS4/X1? For example the PS4 hitting 50m, X1 hitting 27/28m. Or what would be underwhelming sales for each platform for example.

Surely, according to my completely made up calculations, the entire library of NES games can now fit in something the size of a MicroSD card? Wouldn't that be cooler? Am I being weird?

More than that, the N64's cartridges were tens of MBs weren't they? You could probably fit the entire NES/SNES/N64 library on a 32GB card with room to spare.

Why bother with that when all the NES library is contained on the internet at sites like the following?
http://www.nesfun.com
http://www.playretrogames.com/nintendo/all
http://emulator.online/nes/

Can you even use a controller on those? Nothing says nostalgia like clicking away on your keyboard as you did as a child...

There seems to be a way at NES fun but it seemed a pain in the arse.
Last week japanese numbers if they could be taken as a reference for PS4P sales.

PS4 92K (+60K)
WiiU 2K
XB1 171

:LOL:

Why bother with that when all the NES library is contained on the internet at sites like the following?
http://www.nesfun.com
http://www.playretrogames.com/nintendo/all
http://emulator.online/nes/

Is there an easy way to use a controller on those? Sorry but Mario on mouse and keyboard, yuck.

There's a way on SNESfun but it seemed pretty annoyingly complicated. Basically involving downloading some chinese shady app and then manually setting every button up yourself (somehow, it's much worse than it sounds), which I never finished. I tried on the Xbox bluetooth controller btw.

Anyways most people will never ever use emulators etc. As proven by the Mini Nes popularity...as it has true nostalgia with real controllers etc.

Edit: i just read bot scripts can snatch up any online Mini Nes stock in less than a second. Before a person can even move his mouse.

It doesn't seem clear that Japanese PS4 pro sales were posted here...so here they are

JZeFH2t.png

I dont know if it's good or bad. Not gangbusters I guess, but IMO not bad.

As I said PS4Pro isn't really up Japan's alley, although it could do OK if it becomes essentially the default PS4 as I expect.

I reckon it has more to do with royalties and overall logistics than storage.
Also, there is nothing better for business than a half assed product when you are somewhat alone in a market (retro gaming is not new, but official boutique retro gaming sortnof is). Gives them room for a Nes micro 1.5, and a 2.0 and so on...

It doesn't seem clear that Japanese PS4 pro sales were posted here...so here they are

JZeFH2t.png

I dont know if it's good or bad. Not gangbusters I guess, but IMO not bad.

As I said PS4Pro isn't really up Japan's alley, although it could do OK if it becomes essentially the default PS4 as I expect.

Interesting to look at the Japanese market. PS4 at roughly the install base of the Wii-U, although it should start to pull away relatively quickly going forward. And over 20 million 3DS sales (almost 6x Wii-U) in Japan alone. It's not surprising then that Nintendo are betting on a hybrid console design.

Regards,
SB

Look at the whole trend - they're basically the same sales. A current slight uptick is no real indicator that PS4 will sell better than PS3 over the whole period of PS3 on that graph, especially given the jump at the end. And the current uptick is coupled with a drop in the PS3 sales. Saying PS4 is 'selling better' is definitely misleading. That suggests the market in Japan for the PS4 is larger than for PS3, where it's clearly the same at the moment and has been since PS4 launched.

The PS4 will get a big boost to sales later this month when FFXV and the LE bundle release, with TLG following shortly after.

Some people thought that the PS4 would be dead in Japan at the start of the generation. I always thought it would sell close to the PS3 and I remain optimistic that it will get close to PS3 lifetime sales.

Last edited:
It's past the Wii U, that's something...

Console market, hell entire console/dedicated handheld game market, has kinda been slowly dying in Japan for many years.

It's past the Wii U, that's something...

Console market, hell entire console/dedicated handheld game market, has kinda been slowly dying in Japan for many years.
Is mobile killing the Japanese market? What is exactly happening over there?

Pseudo-shipment update. Somebody asked about that a few posts ago.

PS4 is at 47.4 million shipped through September 2016. As always tracking well with ~3X US sales. Actually about 3.25X. US PS4 sales through September are ~14.6 million.

XBO is at ~13.3m sold in USA through Oct (estimate). Using an historically accurate estimate of 2X US sales for shipments, shipments would be 26.6 million through Oct 16. Of course that estimate is way too precise, but should be in the ballpark.

Last Nov+Dec XBO sold about 2.7m in USA. As a rough assumption it does exactly that again, add another 5.4 to the shipped total. At that point Xbox One would be at estimated 32 million shipped through Dec 2016.

Before Scorpio, assuming a November 2017 Scorpio release date. Xbox One sold ~1.9m in USA Jan-Sep 2016, and estimated about 2.2 in Jan-Oct. So add another 2.2 USA sales and 4.4 million ship estimate through Oct. In just about 4 years on the market, XBO might have shipped an estimate of around 36.4 million before Scorpio muddies the waters. Well, it's significantly better than original Xbox which shipped about 25 million in it's 4 year life. That's a low bar. 360 shipped 33.6m through September 2009. Taking October off our XBO estimate to equalize the time period, my estimate of XBO would be ~35.8, like for like, Nov 2013 through Sep 2017 for XBO, Nov 2005 through Sep 2009 for 360. Of course keep in mind it's just an estimate, and a projected one at that. Just keep in mind for any doubters, recorded NPD sales for XBO continue to track lifetime ahead of 360 for the same time period, and since the XBO shipment estimates are based on USA sales they will invariably do the same (but also keep in mind 360 sales were backloaded, it's first 4 years were relatively lackluster).

PS4 could add about another 9 million shipped by the end of 2016 using our various estimating methods. So they might be around 56 million shipped soon. Of course that already includes some PS4 Pro shipments.

Since shipped tracks just a bit ahead of sales, and it's mid Nov, Sony should have been able to do a 50 million sold PR already, or at least in the next few weeks. Or they could probably do a 54 million sold PR after the holidays or some random number. Oddly they seem to have stopped providing sales updates, but I guess after the holidays we might get another.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back