PS4 Pro experiences

Does it make me a bad person that I cancelled my Pro order, but I did take advantage of the discount codes Amazon gave me when I ordered it (COD for £30 plus Dishonoured 2 for £18 EIGHTEEN POUNDS!)? And now I'm enjoying both games after having paid half price for them?

Now that you mentioned Dishonored 2, been playing that on PC, what an exceptionally beautiful game (has that hand crafted painterly look to it that will stand the test of time) and what a fun game too, for 18 pounds that's just a steal imo. How's performance on the regular Ps4?

I've only been playing COD so far, simply because I know I'll finish it in 3 minutes, and then I can focus my time on D2. Will let you know when I do!

I'm assuming the OP is looking for impressions of the Pro and not simply looking for absolution in regards to his "Savviness". :p

Some initial impressions:
  • The network transfer process was fairly straightforward and quick overall. The process was started during the initial Pro setup and it took somewhere between 30 and 60 minutes to transfer ~300 GBs of data (sorry, that's as accurate as I can be based on the frequency that I checked). Data, accounts and settings where all transferred over. As far as I can tell, the only thing missing was the custom DHCP info, namely hostname (I like to have DHCP clients register in DNS wherever possible for reporting purpose).
  • As is well understood, the PS4 and Pro share a common OS. There are a handful of unique Pro features and settings (such as display feature support info which i would love to see expanded on) and recording functions but no real surprises there.
  • One of my earlier concerns was that the app transfer from main system memory to the slower additional memory would adversely affect how seamless the process of going from a video app to a game and back again on the base PS4 is (a feature I enjoy quite a bit). Based on what I can currently tell there is an affect as you transition back and forth but the impact seems to vary by app and game. At worst, the delay seems to go up from roughly 1/2 a second on the base to a full second and a 1/2 on the Pro. Since I still have the base unit I may take the time to compare like for like scenarios on both and time them but in practical terms there is no real impact on usability for me so I'm not particularly concerned about timing it.
  • With 4k screenshots enabled (as they are by default) there is a notable delay from the time you initiate the screenshot until the confirmation chime. Based on some limited testing, the screenshot seems to be saved at the time of the button press but perhaps the processing takes quite a bit longer than usual which could result in the delayed confirmation. I would need to do some more testing to verify this and to determine if its a particular combination of settings that causes this (I'm currently set to 4k and PNG).
  • YouTube streaming on the Pro supports 1080p and 720p at 60 as previously reported. However, I haven't tested to see what type of upload bandwidth is used by either of those options.
Unfortunately, I don't have enough Pro patched (non-VR) games to do any detailed testings about the differences and quite frankly there are better outlets for that. So far, I've played First Light, Last of Us, and Uncharted 4 (I'm really enjoying a second playthrough of Last of Us more than I thought I would). I do plan to delve into VR here shortly to see what the improvements look like. I'm also currently debating swapping the original 1 TB drive back in, doing another network transfer from the base PS4, and then uploading some videos of playing the same game on both the original drive and on the SSD I currently have installed since swapping drives in the same PS4 seems to be supported and the transfer is quick. But I suspect DF among other others will tackle load time testing in due time so I'm not sure its worth the effort.

Last edited:
Having got used to it after a few days, sleep/resume feels much snappier. Maybe that's just the PS4 Pro OS which is much snappier. And yes, loading on pretty much everything is noticeably quicker.

Having got used to it after a few days, sleep/resume feels much snappier. Maybe that's just the PS4 Pro OS which is much snappier. And yes, loading on pretty much everything is noticeably quicker.
Well, the Pro does have a faster CPU, a faster ram and finally the HDD is allegedly faster.

On that subject I'd like to see comparisons of loading times against OG PS4 HDD.

I wonder if there is a difference in AA level between base PS4 user playing for example Shadow of Mordor on PSVR in cinematic mode and PS4 Pro user playing 4K version of Shadow of Mordor on PSVR in cinematic mode?

Pro should get downsampling in cinematic mode for 4K games.

I wonder if there is a difference in AA level between base PS4 user playing for example Shadow of Mordor on PSVR in cinematic mode and PS4 Pro user playing 4K version of Shadow of Mordor on PSVR in cinematic mode?

Pro should get downsampling in cinematic mode for 4K games.

Now that is a good question. Cinematic mode is quite low res on the ps4.

Some games perform worse on 1080p TVs because of super sampling?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/11/ps4-pro-performance-problems-1080p/

That mirrors what I'm hearing from some people that have a PS4-P as well. Some games are better, but some actually perform worse at 1080p on the PS4-P compared to the PS4. One person I know even went so far as to say one game (forgot which one) actually looks worse on PS4-P on a 1080p TV than a PS4. They were mostly disappointed in some of the Sony exclusives, but were hopeful that more games would adopt what a few games are doing in offering a 1080p/60 FPS mode instead of, or in addition to, a 4K mode or a 4K downsampled to 1080p mode.

If Bloodborne would have gotten updated with a 1080p/60 FPS option on PS4-P, I'd be really tempted to get one, but alas it appears that From Software have said they have no plans to offer a PS4-P upgrade for Bloodborne. It may also not be possible for them to offer a 60 FPS mode on PS4-P as they use a heck of a lot of physics simulations in that game, which means it's likely CPU bound.

Regards,
SB

I tried 1080p/60fps streaming out of PS4 Pro to Youtube, I have 20 Mbit/s upload but fast moving image exhibits block boundary artifacts way too often. I don't know if that is limit of my upload but I would guess it's more limited by internal bandwidth reserved for this in PS4.

720p/60fps is still the best option for 60 fps video because PS4 can't save 60fps gameplay video on the HDD.
e.g.

btw. Do we know if PS4 Pro uses HDD or RAM for gameplay recording, shortest recording is 30 sec. and at 720p/30fps it is not big amount.

That mirrors what I'm hearing from some people that have a PS4-P as well. Some games are better, but some actually perform worse at 1080p on the PS4-P compared to the PS4. One person I know even went so far as to say one game (forgot which one) actually looks worse on PS4-P on a 1080p TV than a PS4. They were mostly disappointed in some of the Sony exclusives, but were hopeful that more games would adopt what a few games are doing in offering a 1080p/60 FPS mode instead of, or in addition to, a 4K mode or a 4K downsampled to 1080p mode.

If Bloodborne would have gotten updated with a 1080p/60 FPS option on PS4-P, I'd be really tempted to get one, but alas it appears that From Software have said they have no plans to offer a PS4-P upgrade for Bloodborne. It may also not be possible for them to offer a 60 FPS mode on PS4-P as they use a heck of a lot of physics simulations in that game, which means it's likely CPU bound.

Regards,
SB
Look worse even? I thought they would at least look better as the 1080p games that perform worse are actually downsampled to 1080p which partly explains the worse framerate performances in some cases.

Look worse even? I thought they would at least look better as the 1080p games that perform worse are actually downsampled to 1080p which partly explains the worse framerate performances in some cases.

Their comment to me was that in trying to hit 4k, some things appeared to have been lowered in quality. And so when running on the PS4-P on a 1080p set (4K downsampled to 1080p), it looked slightly worse than a PS4 running the game. Wish I could remember the game, but he doesn't live close to me so I can't check it out and we don't talk much. I think Total Biscuit might have talked about it a bit in the last co-optional podcast though, so if I get time I can rewatch that and see if he mentioned the title.

Regards,
SB

Why is it so hard to ask what game it was by a message? I hope you aren't projecting your old resolution hating fantasies into some imaginary friend. :devilish:

Back