Next Generation AA using deep learning

It's an interesting idea and I think it could work very well for some specific domain of images (e.g. anime).
It might even evolve into some kind of better video compression (as you can make prediction much more accurately from lesser amount of data).

I thought many times about using DNN specifically for AA in games. Learned filters might be kind of the same as SMAA's features baked in textures and if we are lucky enough it should be possible to teach another network to do temporary stable inter frame AA even without motion vectors as pure post-processing with the possibility of injection into random apps

I thought many times about using DNN specifically for AA in games. Learned filters might be kind of the same as SMAA's features baked in textures and if we are lucky enough it should be possible to teach another network to do temporary stable inter frame AA even without motion vectors as pure post-processing with the possibility of injection into random apps
Unfortunately without motion vectors the network would need to scan a huge area (fast movement = up to 1/4 of the screen = 1000 pixels at 4K). With motion vectors you could simply use a 4x4 neighborhood for the history (similar to bicubic history sampling in temporal AA).

I have also thought about replacing hand tweaked temporal AA with neural network based version. Feed exactly the same data to the network as you feed to your TAA filter: 3x3 current frame neighborhood (color.rgb + z), 4x4 previous frame neighborhood (color.rgb + z) around the non-pixel-centered motion vector endpoint, fractions of motion vector (to interpolate previous frame neighborhood correctly). That's only 100 input values. The network needs to generate only 3 output values (rgb). As long as you could fit the network inside the LDS (32 KB per thread block), it should be very fast.

Unfortunately without motion vectors the network would need to scan a huge area (fast movement = up to 1/4 of the screen = 1000 pixels at 4K). With motion vectors you could simply use a 4x4 neighborhood for the history (similar to bicubic history sampling in temporal AA).
That's if you want temporal AA, including motion blur. But if you just want temporally stable AA, e.g. no slowly crawling/swimming edges, fast moving objects should be less relevant.

I have also thought about replacing hand tweaked temporal AA with neural network based version. Feed exactly the same data to the network as you feed to your TAA filter: 3x3 current frame neighborhood (color.rgb + z), 4x4 previous frame neighborhood (color.rgb + z) around the non-pixel-centered motion vector endpoint, fractions of motion vector (to interpolate previous frame neighborhood correctly). That's only 100 input values. The network needs to generate only 3 output values (rgb). As long as you could fit the network inside the LDS (32 KB per thread block), it should be very fast.

NN often don't deal well with outliers. It's a mayor problem to find the right error-metric. Probabilistic or MSE based won't do, and shape-based metrics are super complicated. It's easier to manually construct a context-driven adaptive predictor yourself by observing the statistics under each context, and tune for outliers. SMAA is a bit this way, but super simplistic with it's handful of 'contexts' and only one available predictor.

Back