Middle Generation Console Upgrade Discussion [Scorpio, 4Pro]

Status
Not open for further replies.
why include esram if the main ram is faster ?

Potentially to avoid memory conflicts. But here's something I'm wondering. When in XBO mode, I wonder if it would be possible to dedicate 1 channel of memory purely to emulating to some extent the ESRAM in the XBO. I'm not sure how viable that would be, but it would seem to offer the potential to provide a similar sort of functionality. Yes that would be huge overkill, but then again in XBO mode you won't need all of the memory. This is assuming that Project Scorpio comes with 12 GB of memory.

Regards,
SB

Interesting article on Scorpio and UWP
http://www.windowscentral.com/project-scorpio

* Scorpio wasn't intended to be revealed at E3 but leaks changed it.
* Scorpio has a Xbox One mode on the hardware level (maybe similar to PS4 Pro disabling half the GPU for PS4 mode--my speculation)
* Games are already written with Scorpio dev kits.

Pretty good read, although I disagree with their speculation that Project Centennial games (Win32 apps with a UWP wrapper) not coming to Project Scorpio is due to an architechture that isn't as PC like as some assumed. IMO, it has more to do with Win32 applications not being as secure as native UWP applications, and I don't think the UWP wrapper will change that much. And the last thing that Microsoft wants is to open up security holes in the XBO due to a Win32 app. getting exploited in some fashion.

Regards,
SB

Nice link. Interesting speculation on the Project Scorpio. Will be cool to see if it pans out.

Was disappointed about the cancellation of the Xbox streaming stick. Hopefully it returns. Was trying to get something just like it & now I'm thinking of just getting another Xbox One instead.

Tommy McClain
I think we will see it again , most likely a faster soc inside the stick

Anybody else experiencing this phenomenon where they're not as jazzed about current third party titles already because they're waiting on Scorpio?

For example Titanfall 2 was on sale for $35 the other day, I'm interested in the campaign, but the fact it evidently drops even below 720P on XBO put me off. I mean the Scorpio version (of TF2 or any game) will be much more polished.

I guess it also depends on the game. If a game is 900P or above I'm generally Ok with it. And FPS I'm not very sensitive to.

I suspect that we will some graphics options on Scoprio games similar to some of the PS4 Pro games. It could be as simple as offering 30 or 60 fps and have the resolution and other settings optimize accordingly.

I suspect that we will some graphics options on Scoprio games similar to some of the PS4 Pro games. It could be as simple as offering 30 or 60 fps and have the resolution and other settings optimize accordingly.
Hopefully Microsoft will be able to implement a standard interface across all games.

Elaborate?

I'd like to have an in-game/per-game setting since I'd have different priorities depending on the title.
Yes, with options to prioritise frame rate, visuals or an intermediate in a standardised interface. It's early days for PS4 Pro but the lack of consistency of the options (or where you may find them) is less than user friendly.

By standardized interface, do you mean system-wide? Any in-game setting will still have to be dealt with by the UI programmers etc for every studio. The settings themselves also depend on how the engine scales too..

By standardized interface, do you mean system-wide? Any in-game setting will still have to be dealt with by the UI programmers etc for every studio. The settings themselves also depend on how the engine scales too..

No, just a standard way to convey the same options to users.

I guess Rise of the Tomb Raider is about as many options as one might want on there for a 30fps title.

HFR Mode - Higher Framerate @ 1080p
Full HD Enchantment - 1080p + better settings
"4K optimized"

Not sure what they'd do for a dynamic res game like Halo 5 or Gears 4 since it'd probably spend all that GPU power to hit the higher res @ target framerate at all times anyway.

Last edited:
It's not interface per say that would need to standardized in my opinion...it would be options that developers can allow.

I think 2-3 options max to keep it simple on a console.

Scorpio could have 48+ CU's to hit 6Tflops...Xbox One has 12.

So they would have to disable at least 75% of the CU's

Scorpio could have 48+ CU's to hit 6Tflops...Xbox One has 12.

So they would have to disable at least 75% of the CU's

I have doubts that there will be a compatibility mode like 4Pro has. It just seems unnecessary for how The XB platform is setup with VMs and directX.

Considering how freely XB1S can run the same titles unaffected by a clock speed change, I foresee that as being flexible enough to scale further.

Without a patch we won't see greater use of the hardware, but I expect locked frame rates and resolution for the titles that aren't patched.

VM or directX can't really help against a race condition or other obscure bug linked to execution speed, or some cache behaviour issues?

It could be a good idea to have a robust compatibility mode as a fail safe. It doesn't have to be applied to all unpatched games, just the untested ones. As they get tested they can flag them off the compat list in bulk.

I have doubts that there will be a compatibility mode like 4Pro has. It just seems unnecessary for how The XB platform is setup with VMs and directX.

Considering how freely XB1S can run the same titles unaffected by a clock speed change, I foresee that as being flexible enough to scale further.

Without a patch we won't see greater use of the hardware, but I expect locked frame rates and resolution for the titles that aren't patched.

Yeah I thought that too but between:

http://www.windowscentral.com/project-scorpio
"Our source told us that Project Scorpio dev kits will be a "one-stop shop" for all Xbox platform development. Project Scorpio will be able to mimic an Xbox One at a hardware level so developers can test how their games scale between different power levels. This system is known internally as Project Helix."

and

http://stevivor.com/2016/11/phil-sp...cal-wizardry-360-one-backwards-compatibility/
“We’ve very specifically designed it [on Scorpio] so Xbox games just run,” he said, referring to both Xbox 360 and Xbox One titles. It’s nothing like Xbox 360 backwards compatibility right now — there’s a lot of technical wizardry involved in that. We didn’t want to have to do that again.”

I am wondering if they are going to use a hardware trick on Scorpio for BC. Also by mimicking the hardware of Xbox One on Scorpio you'd theoretically kill two birds with one stone by not having to change much with existing 360 BC that is already running on Xbox One hardware no?

That's talking about dev kits, not retail units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back