The PSVR launch thread

Yeah London Boy, just buy more things.

Well it's the price for sticking to a 15 year-old sound system that uses a ~40 year-old interface...

And it's not just him. My rather recent (~5 year-old) A/V receiver only does HDMI 1.4 to my 5.1 surround set.
This means that when I switch to a 4K TV I'll have to either get a new ~$600 receiver for the interface alone or just get a HDMI 2.0 splitter that sends audio one way and video the other.
I'm definitely getting the splitter as the receiver is rock solid for audio.

I was imagining that 60hz object update combined to 120hz head movement tracking would not be as visible as it is... for example in DCVR cars passing you (spectator) after race shows visible "double image"... same effect is visible in current 100/120hz TV's when viewing 60fps game. That is one reason I have not updated my tv from my 64E8000 series plasma.

The Jackal Assault experience, aka the PSVR portion of Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, will be a free download for all. And it's out tomorrow.

...uuuh? is he still active on the field? God he must be old by now...

This new VR craze is arguably Abrash's baby as much as it is anyone's. He heads Oculus R&D as Chief Scientist. Before that he was with Valve's AR/VR lab, which I think he might have been responsible for spearheading, and it predates the formation of Oculus. Much of the early prototyping and research for the gen1 spec VR hardware was done in that lab, and helped steer Oculus and Sony's VR R&D. There's been some suggestion that the 'Valve Room' prototype demos had a lot to do with Zuckerberg being sold on VR, buying Oculus, and absorbing a chunk of Valve's R&D people. He was Oculus's first announced hire a few days after the Facebook acquisition was made public.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gaqQdyfAz8 - Quakecon 2012 VR panel (Oculus's kickstarter had just begun)
http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/author/mabrash/ - His Valve blog from 2012-2014. Mostly covers AR/VR, a lot of talk on the hurdles of display tech and human visual system, latency, etc. In the comments section you'll see musings on techniques that would later become fundamental components of all VR pipeline/compositors. Predicted poses, reprojection, etc.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-2dQoeqVVo - Steam Dev Days talk (charts out what the gen1 VR spec would be and when)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=knQSRTApNcs - Oculus Connect 2014 keynote
www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwKZDpsjgg - Oculus Connect 2015 keynote
www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtyE5qOB4gw - Oculus Connect 2016 keynote

Well I played around with the PSVR yesterday at my friends house for the first time. It exceeded my expectations! I tried Rigs, the Kitchen demo, Tethered and some platformer demo, where you collect little dudes into your controller :)
In the VR games and demos the resolution worked pretty good and when you move your head around the pixelation, aliasing and other artifacts didn't bother much, only when you lock your eyes to some point the lowish resolution becomes quite apparent. We are a lot closer to the truly great VR experience than I thought previously. I definitely now see myself buying PSVR soon. Playing normal games like Uncharted 4 wasn't so great though. I felt like low pixel density really blurred all the details, but with VR games it was all right. This does offer very good experience imo, but I can't help myself of drooling about the prospect of the eventual 4K helmets

4K and wider FOV and it'll be amazing.
But as it is now even on ps4 it's more immersive than any classic game i have ever played in the last 34 years.

I'm actually a lot less bothered by the FoV than I am with resolution. Hopefully the PS4 Pro will allow for antialiasing and/or guaranteeing the 960*1080 resolution per eye.

Can't wait to have 4K per eye, really.

I really don't think I've been as much at awe about gaming as the first time I put on the PSVR since maybe when we first got textured 3D polygon graphics. That must have been sometimes around the original Playstation or some PC with Voodoo graphics card :)
It did pay to keep myself a VR virgin until PSVR. I really didn't know what to expect based on just some short, unsatisfying 360 video demo with Google Cardboard, so my expectations were pretty low to start with.
My first experience was Batman and when I found myself standing on that roof looking around and below at Gotham streets, I was stunned :) What I was expecting was something more like 3D video around you, like a 360 Imax. I really didn't expect to essentially be transported to another place :)
What I was a bit disappointed at first was the resolution in some games (Driveclub especially), I'm hopeful the Pro will make games look that bit better.

I just have a "problem" with me being in Thailand Jan-March. I'm planning on taking my PS4 with me, but I'm not sure if I want to take PSVR and Pro with me... So I might have to postpone my purchases after the trip, but...

Bit of an update - I tried Battlezone and Rigs demos again, this time no sickness at all - in fact, by the end of the Rigs demo I was the top scoring player! Coincidence or not, I was previously playing on a pouffe but have invested in the Playseat Challange which is really good - and I wonder if being more seated (in a cockpit kind of way) helped at all?

Noticed something strange... I never really have or had any motion sickness problems with any VR games. I might feel a bit dizzy, but in a good way, not that I feel like getting sick or headaches. So far so good.
But as I have now played pretty much exclusively in VR for the last couple of weeks, I've noticed I've become more sensitive to motion in non-VR games or even watching some high speed fps or racing game videos on youtube on my phone or tablet!
I get slightly dizzy feeling now quite easily just playing some normal games, not as much as in VR, but before games just didn't affect me this way. I guess my brain goes automatically in some VR mode when viewing any fps material.
I haven't yet felt dizzy in real life first person situations, like driving a car, thankfully.

So I might have to postpone my purchases after the trip, but...

Ok, so I'm getting the Pro today and VR hopefully next week, it's already paid for. Camera coming in as well. :oops:

I'm still looking to find a good deal on the Move controllers. Not sure what I'll do with my old PS4 yet...

There are some biggish titles out now, but haven't gotten to test them (Eagle Flight, Robinson, VR TrackMania update ... ). I think despite mixed reviews I'll probably have to get Robinson, because of kids and dinos. TrackMania also has a demo, so will probably give that a try.

Pro should be out today, I did pre-order one, but I've spent a lot of money recently so I'm having small hesitations on getting one. Especially since then I'll be extra tempted to get at least a 4k TV or something like that soonish. We'll see. I'll probably tell myself I should get it and see if they are hot during the holidays.

There are some biggish titles out now, but haven't gotten to test them (Eagle Flight, Robinson, VR TrackMania update ... ). I think despite mixed reviews I'll probably have to get Robinson, because of kids and dinos. TrackMania also has a demo, so will probably give that a try.

Pro should be out today, I did pre-order one, but I've spent a lot of money recently so I'm having small hesitations on getting one. Especially since then I'll be extra tempted to get at least a 4k TV or something like that soonish. We'll see. I'll probably tell myself I should get it and see if they are hot during the holidays.

Apparently the time machine one is very good for dinosaurs too

Back