Unity 5.4 to come with screen-space raytraced reflections (SSRR)

It says better threading, not no threading. I think the thought was that certain interactions such as disc access could easily stall the rest, or something like that.

I'm not sure what better threading means though? Perhaps convenience functions to ease development, but either you can spawn multiple threads or you can't. :p I/O shouldn't stall the application, since Unity has long supported asynchronous I/O. I've never used Unity for console development though, it could be those apis are unavailable on those platforms (although I would assume they are).

Sorry if it feels like I'm picking on you, but I get annoyed when people say "oh this game doesn't perform well because of Unity". No the game doesn't perform well because of the design decisions that the developers and artists made. Guess what? It's not trivial to make a highly performing 3D application. Unity doesn't magically make that challenge go away, but it also doesn't prevent you from making a well optimized game. Even things like garbage collection (an often cited critique) can be worked around if you make good design decisions.

Guns don't kill people, people do. The Unity editor doesn't make slow games, developers do. :mrgreen:

Sorry if it feels like I'm picking on you, but I get annoyed when people say "oh this game doesn't perform well because of Unity". No the game doesn't perform well because of the design decisions that the developers and artists made. Guess what? It's not trivial to make a highly performing 3D application. Unity doesn't magically make that challenge go away, but it also doesn't prevent you from making a well optimized game. Even things like garbage collection (an often cited critique) can be worked around if you make good design decisions.

Guns don't kill people, people do. The Unity editor doesn't make slow games, developers do. :mrgreen:

Yes this. It annoys me as well. Performance of Unity games is only as good as the developer and/or the time the developer has to optimize their game. X game that performs badly on Unity would likely perform badly in UE/CryEngine/whatever engine.

The reason you see more badly performing Unity games is because more indie devs and small studio devs use Unity, and they don't have the time or resources to optimize as well as larger studios. And even then you'll see large studios completely bork performance in UE at times.

I hate when I see bad performance in UE games blamed on the developer but bad performance in Unity games is blamed on Unity.

Regards,
SB

I would say that is SEEMS like the programming/development environment of Unity does not help or facilitate high performance games. If you can only do x amount of memory allocations per frame that should be clearly stated and be tools that can help devs work around that problem. That does not seem to be the case right now.

Well, the same issues are reported for 2D games. I'm sure that it is possible that the fault is with the developers. But I'm suspecting there may be more to it. Perhaps it's just console OS related interactions that are on a single thread? And the latest version of Unity was advertised to be improving multi-threaded performance, so perhaps there is more to it.

Well, the same issues are reported for 2D games. I'm sure that it is possible that the fault is with the developers. But I'm suspecting there may be more to it. Perhaps it's just console OS related interactions that are on a single thread? And the latest version of Unity was advertised to be improving multi-threaded performance, so perhaps there is more to it.

It seems like it is the garbage collector. And you only have one bus to the memory.

Looking insane. Realtime graphics have come so far. Tho I have to question their motion blur, it makes the video look like post-stabilized footage from a shaky cam.

Unbelievably gorgeous!!! Runs fairly smooth on a 1080 at 4k and looks like a CG movie. Wish they gave more camera control, etc...but this is absolutely a must download.

Back