No Man's Sky [PC]

Because it apparently needs to be said; why do people pre-order games? To play them as soon as they possibly can.

I don't see this changing. Some people still have to wait for delivery or hours and hours of download times.

The only game I've preordered in the last 5 years was The Witcher 3, but I had historical evidence of previous games from CDPR and they gave me 25% off the lauch price for preordering and owning prewious titles.

So in principal I agree with the rule of not preordering, but as with everything in life, there are exceptions to that rule.

Because it apparently needs to be said; why do people pre-order games? To play them as soon as they possibly can.
Some people are pre-ordering because publishers are offering perks for pre-orders.

I don't remember if this was the case with No Man's Sky, though.

I learned my "never pre-order" lesson with Colonial Marines, but that day I also learned I should sabotage Gearbox (namely just not buying their games) as long as it's headed by Randy Pitchford. I'm sorry if this bothers some people, but I can't give money to a company ruled by a person who actively harms the industry.
The same will probably happen to Sean Murray at this point.

Some people are pre-ordering because publishers are offering perks for pre-orders.

I don't remember if this was the case with No Man's Sky, though.

There was a pre-order ship for NMS (which ironically could cause a game breaking bug) but I've yet to see a pre-order bonus worth a damn and for this reason I don't think the actual pre-order bonus is the actual draw. For the bonus to be a draw there has to be perceived value and you often can't tell the value of the pre-order stuff until the game is out. So I'm still of the belief that it's mostly people just wanting to play a highly anticipated game at midnight/launch/unlock time.

I will confidently pre-order Rockstar games, Bethesda Games Studio games and Naughty Dog games. These are invariably games that I will make time to play on day 1 and which have never disappointed. After Witcher 3 I think I can add CD Projekt Red to that short list of devs. Other games I buy after launch reviews and get played as and when I have time. I am really looking forward to Rise of the Tomb Raider on PS4/Pro but I want to save it for when I have a stretch of free time. Besides, Skyrim just sucked me back in. I'm a sucker for Bethesda openworld RPGs.. warts, balance issues and all.

So the Foundation Update has arrived and it's absolutely massive as expected. Waaaay too much stuff to post here but here's a summary:

• 3 separate game modes now: Normal, Creative and Survival
  • Base Building
  • Farming
  • Camps
  • Own Freighters
  • New resources & technology
  • TAA and Motion Blur added
  • Very long patch notes list

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/foundation-update/

book-desktop-2.png

Last edited:
What's the survival mode?
I haven't looked at it yet but from the description, it makes the general basics of the game more difficult by raising the effect of the environment on your systems, making the aliens more deadly and making it more difficult to obtain resources needed for survival.

Had a brief look tonight. I guess it's the TAA combined with a lot of flora but the performance rather tanked on my 970 system.

Not sure if it was there before but there's a Photo Mode option now which removes all the HUD and any prompts whatsoever. Completely clear for screenshots.

NMS is getting Mass Effect’s Normandy SR1 as an S-class frigate you can own if you find it by May 31st.

It’s also going to get DLSS support for its VR mode by May 31st, per the article.

I figure that’s worth a necro. It looks like 4-8k players online is the recent normal, using Jupiter’s steamcharts
link. This might bump it.

How do I discover more stuff? I swear every planet so far seems like a slightly different version of the other one.
There are definitely varying biome planets but you also need to visit other classification solar systems which can contain some of the more bizarre biomes. You need upgraded drives to visit green, red etc.

Yean, the red/green/blue is in reference to the color of the stars when you're navigating the galactic map. However, by the same token, there is a lot of same-ness once you've seen the "root" two dozen or so planets. The first time you see a new "root class" of planet, you ogle and fly around for quite a while. Then you start to realize they look pretty similar after a hundred or so hours.

I am amazed at what they have accomplished, it was an enormous vision and I think they've done good by the community to keep working on it. At the end of the day, some of the randomness simply isn't random enough to make it a truly "unique" experience when cnosidering the vastness of a galaxy.

That answers the question of whether we can change the FoV on the PC! Thanks! I'm hoping for 21:9 support as well, though I'll probably stream it to my TV anyway. TAA should be available soon as well.

Back