NV-30 to have.............

Ascended Saiyan said:
A 256 bit memory interface & DDR-II.I'm not sure anyone has reported this yet but NVmax is reporting this & a few other tidbits.

For a vendor based site, that info was sure pretty even-handed. And informative, if it is as accurate as they make it sound.

Interesting article, but it appears to be nothing more than speculation.

Strange thing about that site, no ads. Who's paying for the bandwidth? ;)

Throw another log on the flame war. I'm sure we'll have everybody from both sides using inuendo and numerology to "prove" or "disprove" this based on what amounts to nothing more than chicken entrails.

I think it's a very real possibility we'll see DDRII and a 256bit bus on the NV30... and one that i'm surprised folks haven't speculated about more before this.

Given the fact that these guys do have connections to nVidia...I'm not saying that their info is 100% correct, just that they have a lot more credibility than virtually all the other sites which simply post specs based on "insider info."

If this turns out to be true...Can you imagine? A part running at, say, 400 MHz...with DDR II memory running on a 256-bit interface? If all of these pieces do turn out to be true, I think you've got to hand it to nVidia CEO for this previous statement about "this is the greatest contribution..." Maybe there was actual truth (from a CEO no less!) to it...

What's really exciting is if the NV30 can really show a need for DDR2 without increasing the memory controller from 512 bits.

That is, a 400MHz processor could "only" handle 400MHz DDR2 with a 256-bit bus if it had only a 512-bit memory controller.

From what we've been hearing, 400MHz DDR2 is pretty slow for DDR2.

This may be a hint that nVidia is aiming for around 450MHz core speed.

Keep in mind that David Kurt said a 256 bus is overkill in a review a few months ago....

Geez, did I miss something?

Maybe this was already covered, but that article actually states @ the top...

Published by NVIDIA Corp Developed by NVIDIA Corp Previews >> Video Cards >> 2002-07-27

Hmmm...Well, if that's the case, then how can one take this any other way? It pretty much sounds to me like NVMax signed an NDA, wrote up their short article, handed it to nVidia for 'review'...got it back, and posted it on the net.

Well...Regardless of what has been said in the past, this appears to be a rather definitive statement, and one which nVidia has clearly had some influence on...

sancheuz said:
Does the radeon 9700 have 256 bit ddr 2 memory?

The Radeon 9700 has 256bit bus and support for DDR II memory.

It will ship at first with DDR memory and later will move on to DDR II memory.

B3D isn't in the business of starting rumours - our news may proliferate others rumours from time to time (if they seem sane), but when we post something we tend to like to make sure its correct.

:eek:

This would mean that if they're running 300Mhz DDR-II, then the raw bandwidth will be roughly 38GB/sec.

Along with HSR, a 400Mhz clock..... my god....

Um, I get it to ~19.2Gb/s with 256bit DDRII @ 300Mhz (DDRII does NOT transfer four bits per clock.) But with the upcoming DDRII memory from Samsung that runs at 500Mhz (1Ghz effectively) it would mean ~32Gb/s. That's still pretty amazing.

Regards / ushac

Natoma said:
:eek:

This would mean that if they're running 300Mhz DDR-II, then the raw bandwidth will be roughly 38GB/sec.

How did you come up with 38 GB/s?
I calculate 300M * 256 / 8 * 2 (to account for DDR) = 19.2 MB/s.

edit: ushac beat me to the correction.

Natoma said:

I think what Dave is trying to say, is the 256bit bus is a rumor. This is why B3D has not mentioned it.

The only thing that is confirmed is the use of DDR-II.

--|BRiT|

Back