Movie Reviews 2.0

Watched Warcraft yesterday. Really have no idea on what kind of a righteous revenge trip critics have been on with this poor specimen. Is it a masterpiece? - Nah. Is it an entertaining, splendid looking fantasy romp? - Fuck, yeah. It's unfortunate they can't all be The Lord of the Rings trilogy I guess, but as a genre flick it was perfectly fine. I certainly had a far better time with this than I did with the snoozefest that was the Hobbit movies. Heck, I even thought the characters were surprisingly compelling. I should also mention that I haven't got a single clue about the Warcraft universe, so accusations of the film having been made for fans of the franchise exclusively seem rather far-fetched as well.

Seen The Magnificent Seven on Sunday.
Certainly had seven dudes in it. As diverse as a Benetton ad too. Just not quite as magnificent as I was hoping for. It didn't have much going for it in terms of characterization unfortunately. A last minute blink-and-you'll-miss-it attempt at infusing Denzel Washington's character with some tragic backstory barely registered, and Chris Pratt was a little too Chris-Pratty for the charming yet unpredictably dangerous gun-slinging cut-throat he was supposed to portray. The bad guy's only character trait was pure, unadulterated evilness. Django Unchained's Calvin Candie he most definitely wasn't. Still, it was a very entertaining movie. The action choreography kicked some major ass, the actors seemingly had a lot of fun doing what they were doing, and it was nice to watch a contemporary western with a directorial style that wasn't constantly bordering, if not crossing over, into the realm of masturbation. I'd say it mostly cleared the bar it set for itself, but then it didn't set the bar all that high to begin with.

No idea how it stacks up to the 7 Samurai or the 60s remake based on that film. I've never seen either of them.

Last edited:
This looks so much better than most of the superhero crap Disney/Marvel have been putting out the last several years

Supposed to be pretty good too. Besides, nobody does flippin' crazy quite like Mel Gibson. I recently saw Get The Gringo (another old man Gibson movie) on Netflix, and I had a rather good time with it as well.

Still, I was pleasantly surprised by the last Disney Marvel product I've seen: Civil war was really cool.

Seems to be set in a possible decade or two after the original X-Men movies. Logan obviously somewhat older, has a daughter, Professor Xavier much older as well.

uuuh what? You realize it's Hugh Jackman right? And it's not out until 2017. Thinking of another movie perhaps?
When I saw the video still, I thought it was Gibson too. It was only when I played the video that I realised that it was an X-men film and that it obviously had to be Jackman. But with the beard and the rougher look, and dial in the grumpy/crazy persona, he looks incredibly like Gibson

Not Logan's daughter. Movie is based on a Wolverine comic book story about her being a clone of Logan named X-23.

Tommy McClain

Yeah I figured it might be Blood Father. Which is a great movie, excellent performance by Gibson.

Just watched "The Accountant" yesterday. Looks like the public liked the film but the critics not so much. I expected more crime/drama and a bit less gun action, but it still was way better than most of the lousy films that infest movie theaters nowadays.

Going to see Dr. Strange today in a couple hours, hopefully it is as good as people make it out to be :D

Edit: Good movie, but it could have been more. Not unexpectedly it falls within the comfort zone of the MCU, although from the trailers i had the impression this would be a bit more serious (and it is at first). But hey, fun flick! And gorgeous cgi work.

Last edited:
Watched Warcraft yesterday. Really have no idea on what kind of a righteous revenge trip critics have been on with this poor specimen. Is it a masterpiece? - Nah. Is it an entertaining, splendid looking fantasy romp? - Fuck, yeah. It's unfortunate they can't all be The Lord of the Rings trilogy I guess, but as a genre flick it was perfectly fine. I certainly had a far better time with this than I did with the snoozefest that was the Hobbit movies. Heck, I even thought the characters were surprisingly compelling. I should also mention that I haven't got a single clue about the Warcraft universe, so accusations of the film having been made for fans of the franchise exclusively seem rather far-fetched as well.

For whatever reason, I've never seen a movie based on a video game. It isn't conscious, it just seems the movies didn't appear interesting enough, even when they're on cable TV.

For that matter, I probably haven't played too many games based on movies either.

Games are using talented voice actors and maybe employing good screenwriters. Yet nothing really jumps out.

Of course games are trying to be more "cinematic" with set scenes or set pieces but those aren't new ...

Saw Inferno last night, it wasn't bad but not sure I could recommend it. Kind of plodding and doesn't have the puzzle solving like there was in the others.

Back