General Environment Impact Discussion *spawn*

Really, the environment, REALLY?

I'll just hold my tongue then :)

No pack in controller? Sigh.

Lol sorry man, you don't need to say more. But yea, Lol it's important to me.

And if it saves money as well that's awesome. I think MS is in a position to skip pack in controller with Scorpio. They have the largest controller market right in terms of officially supporting them, custom ones, elite ones, made for both PC and XBO. I own 5 !!! And use only 1!

Gifted 2 of them? You should do like they do at funerals with flowers.

In lieu of sending controllers, please donate an equivalent amount of money to SaveThePlanet.org.

Lol sorry man, you don't need to say more. But yea, Lol it's important to me.

Because like most environmentalist things, THAT DOESN'T MAKE ANY DAMN SENSE :)

It's like reusable cloth shopping bags or even hybrid cars, it makes people feel good, but has zero real effect on anything if you look at it even a little critically.

For example so you're ok with buying a huge Xbox and controller and many cords, but a tiny headset is a problem? Realistically if it was a problem, Consoles should be banned. Not too mention they use a lot of electricity.

Second, landfill space isn't an issue if that's your problem with the headset. The world has, unfathomably more landfill space than we could ever use.

Anyways I can ee this going way OT obviously so yeah. I just think it's super cheap to be like "thing I dont like? Environment!".

Actions/intentions for the sake of "the environment" should be changed to "efficiency". On a global scale it's easy to dismiss any environmentally conscious act as negligible in the grand scheme of things. Adhering to a principle of efficiency is an ideal that benefits the environment and can be measured against even the smallest change where the challenge is to get as close to 100% efficiency as possible. "I wish they didn't include a headset because its an inefficient use of resources where it's redundant and gets very low utilisation" - can't really argue against that.

I've used the PS4 headset, but it's horrendously uncomfortable such that an alternative is necessary. If it was a decent quality bit of kit, it'd have sufficed and not been a waste. And/or if PS3 headsets worked on PS4 and I could have used my one.

It's like reusable cloth shopping bags or even hybrid cars, it makes people feel good, but has zero real effect on anything if you look at it even a little critically.

For example so you're ok with buying a huge Xbox and controller and many cords, but a tiny headset is a problem? Realistically if it was a problem, Consoles should be banned. Not too mention they use a lot of electricity.

Second, landfill space isn't an issue if that's your problem with the headset. The world has, unfathomably more landfill space than we could ever use.

Anyways I can ee this going way OT obviously so yeah. I just think it's super cheap to be like "thing I dont like? Environment!".

Well it's about efficiencies. Not so much about extremities. No environmentalist wishes that we revert back to the Stone Age either. But it does seem like wasted resources, whether man, labour, parts etc, to just put something in that will result in being in a garbage dump soon thereafter.

That's all. Yea it's a bit of a cheapo argument to use. It's not that important. Just a preference, not a demand. When preferring to spend more for things I know I don't need, I prefer it to be not bundled in. If the argument is that it only costs pennies to make. That's an interesting discussion in itself.

Actions/intentions for the sake of "the environment" should be changed to "efficiency". On a global scale it's easy to dismiss any environmentally conscious act as negligible in the grand scheme of things. Adhering to a principle of efficiency is an ideal that benefits the environment and can be measured against even the smallest change where the challenge is to get as close to 100% efficiency as possible. "I wish they didn't include a headset because its an inefficient use of resources where it's redundant and gets very low utilisation" - can't really argue against that.

Very well said. Focusing on efficency also helps avoiding false economies, and benefits the environment AND capitalist economy. Its the perfect word that brings hippies and yupees together.

So using less plastic/paper and gasoline (compared to the alternative) has zero effect? I do not understand really.....

Very well said. Focusing on efficency also helps avoiding false economies, and benefits the environment AND capitalist economy. Its the perfect word that brings hippies and yupees together.

It is not obvious what you should optimize your efficiency target. Lower CO2 emissions? More "untouched" land? Less chemicals used?

I've used the PS4 headset, but it's horrendously uncomfortable such that an alternative is necessary. If it was a decent quality bit of kit, it'd have sufficed and not been a waste. And/or if PS3 headsets worked on PS4 and I could have used my one.

I'm an environmentalist in the old vein not the new vein. IE - I view land management as being just as important as conservation. Recent outbreaks of wildfires in the US could have been prevented or reduced in scale, for example, if we hadn't stopped responsible land management in the face of political pressure from conservationists. But that's something for another time ad place. Conservation can be just as harmful to the environment as not.

Efficiency, however, I view as important not just from a conservation standpoint, but from an economic one as well. And for me WRT the non-inclusion of the headset, as long as a large majority of consumers of the device don't need it, it's a waste to include it. Not only would it increase the cost of a device making it more difficult to reduce the price of the package, but the entire production chain to create the add-in is a bit of a waste as well. That means waste products from the production chain as well as wasted energy from production. And if it ends up being thrown away, as I'd imagine the vast majority of them are, then that is just money, time, and effort thrown away for no good reason.

It's easy to focus solely on the one piece of cheap plastic and think about how it fills landfills to an insignificant degree. But the chain that results in that piece of plastic being thrown away is a not insignificant waste.

Regards,
SB

This thread is very political and should be in the RSPC forum (Recycling Stupid Plastic Controllers).

:D

This thread is very political and should be in the RSPC forum (Recycling Stupid Plastic Controllers).

:D

Perhaps, but I thought we could keep it higher class by not going there (and not everyone visits that area?).

Perhaps, but I thought we could keep it higher class by not going there (and not everyone visits that area?).
Now that you mention it, since the forum was moved to xenforo. Following the faq, there' s no way to acces it, Unless it's hidden from newbies.
(I know that you had to activate it first, that' s the problem, i can't see it in preferences)

Cheers

It is not obvious what you should optimize your efficiency target. Lower CO2 emissions? More "untouched" land? Less chemicals used?
General efficiency. Energy, resources, time, waste, effort, and everything else. Some inteligent economist should devise a General Human Life Efficiency measuring unit.
Although those are different things, they can be exchanged for one another. Sometimes something could be recycled instead of going into a landfill, but it costs too much energy and effort. The mesuring stick for that kind of decision usually is money, but unfortunately, our economy leave a lot of important inportant aspects unacounted for. We can't possibly evaluate every consequence and effect of actions, but I just think that when doing your best at it, efficency is the best concept to strive for. Human life management efficiency.
An efficient society is not just environmental sustainable, its also more just and equal, because humans are too valuable of a resource (in potential, but not always realized) to have many of them wasted doing hard mindless labour. How many potential brilliant scientists are we wasting having the majority of our world population have no proper education and work in front of a fucking production line treadmill turning screws?
An efficient society is safe, as crime and danger are terrible energy leaks. Corruption is unnacceptable in an efficient society. So is stupidity.
The more I think about it, the more I feel like "efficiency" embodies everything we consider good and desirable. It's like the old greek concept of beauty, or like other culture's concept of God.
I'm a efficency avocate, evangelist, and unapologetical brown-noser.

Industrial capitalist technological development is incompatible with human health and the enviromental sustainability, no matter how the industry lobbies try to spin it.

http://www.theecologist.org/News/ne...ontrol_as_corporate_race_for_5g_gears_up.html
With the UK's Digital Economy Bill set to be finalised today, new 5G microwave spectra are about to be released across the planet without adequate safety testing, writes Lynne Wycherley. Global neglect of the Precautionary Principle is opening the way to corporate profit but placing humans and ecosystems at risk, and delaying a paradigm shift towards safer connectivity.

So, choose sides ultimately. Useless electronics consumerism vs. more time and money for more healthier activities, girfriend, sex, cooking, sports, outdoors, better sleep, learning more about yourself etc.

Last edited:
Industrial capitalist technological development is incompatible with human health and the enviromental sustainability, no matter how the industry lobbies try to spin it.

http://www.theecologist.org/News/ne...ontrol_as_corporate_race_for_5g_gears_up.html

So, choose sides ultimately. Useless electronics consumerism vs. more time and money for more healthier activities, girfriend, sex, cooking, sports, outdoors, better sleep, learning more about yourself etc.
As this is a site about useless electronics for consumers, I think we have.

But, but, but I need a kick-ass computer rig to run my girfriend at max settings 4k60, and highspeed 5g internet to have sex with her when I'm not home!

Back