Microsoft Surface tablets

Why would you want notifications during deep sleep on your tablet? Want to dig it out of your bag to take a skype call?

well they opened the MS store in garden state. If anyone wants a surface pro 1 64 gig for $200 let me know. Can't promise they will have them in stock when I go though

If they knock off about $500 for the highest tier Pro 3 and include it with the Type cover, I may bite. Otherwise, I guess I'll wait a bit more until broadwell and possibly an integrated gpu is out---I wonder if it will go back to a fanless design, not that I mind it that much.

So ASP may be around $1000 and that would imply 1.35 million units?

Not bad for such a high ASP. Of course Christmas quarter is going to be much bigger than any other quarter and the Surface Pro 4 released right in that quarter.

It's quite impressive when you consider that the Android and iPad tablet market has stalled (Gartner are forecasting a slight decline for 2016). Compared to a year ago when Gartner forecast that Android and iOS tablets would exceed PC shipments by 2017, shipments actually dropped for 2015 (compared to their forecast for 8 percent growth, it actually dropped ~9.3%) and will continue to be lower than PC shipments through 2018. Basically flat for the next 3 years. Traditional PCs (desktop and notebook) are forecast to continue dropping, but Premium Ultramobiles (Ultrabooks and premium Windows tablets, which Surface is part of) is expected to have steady growth.

That Surface can continue to show relatively strong growth in the face of flat/declining tablet sales is impressive considering the relatively high ASP for their tablets.

It's likely one reason that Apple is attempting to copy the Surface Pro as iPad sales have been stagnant for the past 2 years while the Surface line has seen growth the past 2 years.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Ooops, nm, I just saw Apple's latest report. iPad isn't just stagnant it dropped hard. Down 21% YoY. That puts the Surface lineup in significantly better light. Although it has to be said it's easier to grow a small user base than to grow a large user base that might potentially be exhausted with the category. The problem with devices meant almost purely for content consumption is that once it's good enough, a lot of people don't need more than that. An iPad 2 is still perfectly fine for watching videos, surfing the web, checking e-mail, listening to music, etc.

Regards,
SB

Truth be told, the Surface Pro line isn't really a tablet per se, it's a 2-in-1.
In terms of productivity, it's miles above whatever iOS or Android device could ever do, despite apple's best efforts to say otherwise about the ipad pro.

Microsoft successfully carved their own expanding market amidst the downfall of PC sales. All they had to do was set the example on how to do a 2-in-1 properly.

We're starting to hear lots of talks about a Surface Phone. If this exists, my guess is it's a full Windows 10 Pro phone carrying e.g. an Intel Broxton SoC.
If it is, then it's probably my next phone.

True but the tradeoff is weight and still the fan? so that it's not quite as light for tablet use. In fact, if you detach the tablet, the battery life is poor or is that only the Surface Book not the Pro?

MS explicitly marketed the SP against MacBook Air, not iPad. Even with the declining iPad sales and growing SP sales, it's unlikely the SP will grow enough to exceed iPad sales. The ASP is simply much higher.

I don't know what MacBook Air or MacBook sales are like these days. That might be the one to compare it to.

it's unlikely the SP will grow enough to exceed iPad sales. The ASP is simply much higher
true, I wouldnt be breaking out the champagne just yet comparing ipad vs surface numbers let alone revenue's
The surface's best ever quarter revenue is still worse than the ipads worst ever quarter
surface.png

True but the tradeoff is weight and still the fan? so that it's not quite as light for tablet use. In fact, if you detach the tablet, the battery life is poor or is that only the Surface Book not the Pro?

Surface Book is what you're thinking of there WRT the battery in the tablet portion being much smaller, the Surface Pro only has one battery. Also the entry level SP4 is now powered by a Core M3, which according to recent benchmarks over at anand is for the most part a slightly faster CPU than the A9X in the iPad Pro. GPU on the other hand A9X wins by a decent margin, although some of that could be API/driver overhead which could change.

Also the entry level SP4 is now powered by a Core M3, which according to recent benchmarks over at anand is for the most part a slightly faster CPU than the A9X in the iPad Pro.
Anandtech A9x vs x86 comparison should be redone, since AT chose a compiler known to be tuned for SPEC and compiled for 32-bit x86 which 403.gcc and 429.mcf go significantly faster.

Fair points, still I think they are at least very close with A9X impressing me a bit more because of the process disadvantage and better GPU. I also forgot to add the point of my quoting the above being that the Core M3 SP4 is fanless, so that complaint is gone at least for the lower end model which has comparable performance to the iPad Pro (also fanless).

P.S. First post on my new Surface Book (entry level, I'm not that rich). It's a nice device so far that actually brings advantages over my desktop aside from portability. Up until now I've never been fond of laptops because they always proved to be all about sacrifices with only that one selling point of portability. The SB is definitely a different beast.

P.P.S. I usually despise touch pads, but this one is damn good and I am actually finding myself liking it more than a mouse in some ways.

The A9X is ~45% larger than the Core M Skylake 2+2 at a similar process and uses a much more expensive memory that gives it twice the theoretical bandwidth.
There's a reason why AMD just can't seem to pick up the pace even though they've been in the CPU business for almost as long.

MS just has the surface and surface pro line up . Apple has the ipad mini , ipad and now the pro. So MS still has room to expand. A 7 or 8 inch surface would be interesting imo.

But its good that MS has a market that is expanding , lets hope they can do it in phones also

Fair points, still I think they are at least very close with A9X impressing me a bit more because of the process disadvantage and better GPU. I also forgot to add the point of my quoting the above being that the Core M3 SP4 is fanless, so that complaint is gone at least for the lower end model which has comparable performance to the iPad Pro (also fanless).

P.S. First post on my new Surface Book (entry level, I'm not that rich). It's a nice device so far that actually brings advantages over my desktop aside from portability. Up until now I've never been fond of laptops because they always proved to be all about sacrifices with only that one selling point of portability. The SB is definitely a different beast.

P.P.S. I usually despise touch pads, but this one is damn good and I am actually finding myself liking it more than a mouse in some ways.

yeah for some reasn windows touchpad quality is very wide. from utterly annoying to superb.even weirder, sometime the quality can go up through the roof with a simple use of incompatible driver for newer device lol. its weird.

cant microsoft allow precission touchpad driver to be released seprately and manualy force installed?

Microsoft updating their top end Surface Book with a 2x more powerful Nvidia GPU. Going to guess it's based on Pascal.

Although Surface Studio is going to be using using Maxwell 2, so maybe it's using Maxwell 2. They did note that their cooling solution had to be completely redesigned to dissipate heat more efficiently.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Back