Formula 1 - 2016 Season

It's no different to what other teams have done since this rule was introduced. Of course, as it involves Hamilton I'm sure you're all for him being disqualified from the championship for it etc.
Got examples of these other teams doing same?
Closest thing coming even close that I can remember is Alonso's 35 place penalty at Spa, but it was actually from taking fresh (over limit) engine for 1st practice, which lasted whooping 3 laps before it broke and they had to get another new set

Closest thing coming even close that I can remember is Alonso's 35 place penalty at Spa, but it was actually from taking fresh (over limit) engine for 1st practice, which lasted whooping 3 laps before it broke and they had to get another new set
McLaren did it in Spa too.

They had to do it last year so much that the rule which forced grid demotions in the next race was scrapped. If Honda earned money on the amount of kg delivered in engine and PU components last year, they would be richer than Apple :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/34008319 McLaren did something very similar at Spa last year, although they put in 2 new engines for each driver. I'm not sure that 2 new engines in one weekend should be considered an "ok" abuse of a loophole while 3 engines counts as being "asshole'ish". At the point you're putting in more than 1 new engine for the weekend it just comes down to whether you have the extra engines spare and waiting, and whether your engineers are good enough to get the engines fitted in time.

I suspect you'd have branded the 3 engines in one weekend as 'inspired' if it was, say, Kimi that did it.

It depends on just how driven Hamilton is. I'm sure he wants to win, but 3 championships seemed to be his major goal. At this point it seems like "more would be nice". Compare that to Nico, who is pretty desperate to win...
You could hear it in Hamilton's voice when the engine blew up. That "noooooo" was full of desperation.

But yeah, Rosberg has the edge in desperation

Didn't remember that last season Spa incident, so we have 2 teams that have done it, though not in exact same extent. And no, neither is OK in my books.

You didn't make any complaints about it after the race last year. But when it's Hamilton you do...
Either I didn't know they actually did save 1 extra engine sets each, or I didn't think of it much simply because McLaren isn't competing on the top for now

Haha what a load of bullshit. I clearly meant he thought it wasn't just bad luck.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/37534044

Or maybe Mercedes is God? :')

The race was a lot of fun with the Red Bull at least managing to keep up appearance and make it look like they might have half a chance of winning.

Vettel is starting to look like Alonso though. Seems he's realizing that he could spend another 5 years in that Ferrari without ever coming close to winning another WDC. I'm hoping they'll do better next year because three teams fighting for wins will be much more fun but I'm not really seeing Ferrari going anywhere at the moment.

Anyway I'll be going to Suzuka next week, I'll have a half decent ticket this time so hopefully I'll have half an idea what is going on during the race ;)
Jesus, Hamilton is such a cry-baby. Compare that interview to Schumacher in Suzuka 2006 after losing the WDC after an engine failure. There you can see a real champion standing behind his team after winning so much with them...

Jesus, Hamilton is such a cry-baby. Compare that interview to Schumacher in Suzuka 2006 after losing the WDC after an engine failure. There you can see a real champion standing behind his team after winning so much with them...
Must be nice cheering your countryman to victory!

I take it non of you lazy bums got up this morning to watch the race? ;)

I'm on my way back home from the track and this year was pretty enjoyable. Last year was hot and we didn't have a big screen so by the end if the race we were sweaty, tired and had no clue what happened during the race but this year we got better seats and a big screen and to top it off today was the first semi cold day after summer! I got a bit chilly wearing shorts.

The race was alright, not too much happening but could have been worse. Verstappen made the most out of Hamilton's bad start and Ferrari screwed up their strategy for God knows the th time.

One thing that did annoy me is Hamilton. He's always talking about the fans but swagger boy couldn't be bothered to wave to anybody during the parade lap. I honestly don't care about the parade lap but when all the other drivers are at least sitting on top of the chair/back of the car Hamilton was sitting inside with his headphones on for the whole lap. The crowd obviously was not pleased with the equivalent of "are you fucking kidding me?! This guy ain't waving?!" Being said. Rosberg got a big applause.

Oh and one of the funny things during the parade lap was vettels car breaking down. I think it was Testarossa from the 60's. Vettel got picked up by Ricciardo but the poor (well, I guess it was the owner driving so I doubt he's really poor, filthy rich probably if you own such a car) guy driving got picked up by a flatbed truck that took him around most of the circuit. With the driver still sitting IN his car :LOL: that caused some laughs.

Actually I did wake up, still drunk, and went back to sleep after watching couple first laps

Actually the race was good. Ves, again, looked like blocking Hamilton under braking near the end. Lots of complain, mainly from Vettel, about the blue flag and backmarkers.

At least a small payback for the Mercedes' asshole'ish abuse of loophole in the rules and doing million engine swaps in one weekend to get fresh engines for rest of the season
FYI - Mercedes tried to have the loophole closed following JB's "52 place penalty" last year, but it wasn't backed by all the teams (presumably McLaren blocked it then); they used it here to benefit them both highlighting and calling out that the loophole is stupid. The FIA has closed the loophole as of 2017 - doing it for the start of next season negates the need for all the teams agreement that an in-season change would.

So US GP wasn't spectacular, but still it was a decent show.
Highlights for me were:
- Hamilton finally behaving like he should for a champion and also producing flawless race
- Ricciardo! He's now really proving his race qualities and forcing movie star to drink from shoe was hilarious!
- Alonso starts to enjoy racing again, which can only mean good things. Well done on P5 and showing some good hard moves! BTW his Massa overtake was masterpiece, not because of pure move itself but because he planned it so much in advance, taking that corner with tight line few laps in a row to then prove stewards that his car was perfectly capable of making this corner and hence avoiding penalty. Wise fox!
- Rosberg showed he's not only racing for 2nd as he pushed till the end risking reliability in a bid to catch Lewis. Definitely different driver than last year!
- Kimi resurgence!

BTW his Massa overtake was masterpiece, not because of pure move itself but because he planned it so much in advance, taking that corner with tight line few laps in a row to then prove stewards that his car was perfectly capable of making this corner and hence avoiding penalty.
I can't agree, and whether your car can or can't make the corner in theory shouldn't matter, he prettty much used Massa as brake and still went wide, pushing Massa even wider

I can't agree, and whether your car can or can't make the corner in theory shouldn't matter, he prettty much used Massa as brake and still went wide, pushing Massa even wider

Re-watch it from different cameras. Alonso was alongside Massa on the entrance to the corner and it was Felipe who tighten the corner and closed the door. Obviously he probably didn't know McLaren was there, but still it was legitimate move. I think we are now getting used to easy and clean DRS passes and forgetting how it was done in older days. Wheel banging was quite common as you had to take risks to overtake without DRS.

I like closer racing and it comes with these situations and extra risk when making move.

Massa, well I think he makes a great braking assistance. ;)

So who is going to win the championship this year? I have my monies on Vettel.

Back