What MS, Sony, Nintendo should be or are doing next

You dismiss consoles on the basis that they are just another pc, only restricted to its own walled garden, while Nintendo Switch is just another tablet, only restricted to its own walled garden.

There's a fundamental difference in library though. PC plays the same games as consoles; Switch plays very different games to tablets.

But it makes no sense for anyone [ especially @Rodéric ] to want Nintendo to stick to their own hardware. They should be pushing for yet another huge Nintendo FAIL so Nintendo are forced to switch over to making games for all platforms that way everyone can play their games on whatever existing hardware they have.

There's a fundamental difference in library though. PC plays the same games as consoles; Switch plays very different games to tablets.
On the case of Wii U, that would have to be No Games[emoji769].
Their hope is having portable and console libraries consolidated will make both less bare, but really, being able to play the "same games from pc" wouldn't hurt any consumer.

But it makes no sense for anyone [ especially @Rodéric ] to want Nintendo to stick to their own hardware. They should be pushing for yet another huge Nintendo FAIL so Nintendo are forced to switch over to making games for all platforms that way everyone can play their games on whatever existing hardware they have.
I don't disagree - I've repeated myself as much before now!

I would agree except for one important thing to me : I want great local coop, which only Nintendo provided to date, and I don't think a PC is a good tool for that since it's usually at a desk.
Now the DS worked in local coop, so the Switch may also.

I will focus on Nintendo. To begin with I believe the switch will bombed, it will get clear when the price is known.
Nintendo as a hardware vendor should quit the home console business. Their main focus should be handheld. As an editor they should target home consoles with some IPs and retro gaming (emulation NES = up to the Wii).
On the matter of mobile it is really an hit and miss market, they risk to dilute their IPs, it should not be a focus, either they dedicate an independent division that try to succeed in the field but that its.

On handheld side of thing, somehow keeping the hardware under-powered has lots of virtues: on the system price, on the storage price and on the developments costs and overall lower risks environment that allows for creativity.
My take on the market (Nintendo has the monopoly) now is that: 1 the system price needs to go down. 2 Nintendo has too many SKUs. 3 The game price has to go down slightly. 4 XL should mean XL.

So from there the only good product from Nintendo in my book has been the 2DS. Too bad it was released at too high a price and Nintendo made it obsolete.
Having 2 screens can be reduce to a not standard screen format ratio. The 2DS proved that a single screen is uch cheaper but may be it is time for Nintendo to let the devs do as they are pleased with the screen real estate. The whole screen has to be tactile, resistive technology fits the bill: cheap, extremely precise and it is not fragile.
The input has to be settle on once for all (or for a good while) the standard is know and the new 3DS got there (2 sets of side buttons, 4 face buttons, d-pad, two analog stick, a touch screen). Incremental upgrades, more frequent in the handheld realm, they should bring feature that does not make older hardware obsolete, neither affect developers: things like 3D and higher resolution screen comes to mind.
The new 3DS got something right, graphics can be drastically downgraded but to be able to offer most gaming genre you need CPU power and memory.

So to me if Nintendo were to release a new product, it would be pretty much the 1DS so many people laughed about. The height of the device would remain unchanged, I would favor a 4:3 screen format ratio. The input would taken straight from the new 3DS. A reasonable increase over the new 3DS that a 28nm SOC can deliver at a reasonable cost.

Below are link comparing various solution for the screen using the 3DS/2DS lower screen as a ref:
http://www.displaywars.com/3,02-inch-4x3-vs-5,2-inch-1x1
http://www.displaywars.com/3,02-inch-4x3-vs-6,1-inch-4x3
There are 1DS mock-ups that feature screen of various screen format ration, they give a good idea about what the system could be.

Anyway it is useless, Nintendo seems to have no faith in what they have and feel the urge to reinvent the wheel while adding gimmick anytime they release a new console. My gut feeling looking at the pricing of their recent systems is that the Switch will be introduced the switch 349€ and it won't fly.

Last edited:
I expect the Switch to be 299€, based on my fancy alone ^^ ;)
It is more based on guts feeling, the 2DS launched 130€ (80€ and 5millions shipped) the new 3DS XL for 199€ (without a charger, 180€ now with a charger still nowhere to be seen), the Wii U 349€.
The NX is set to include quite a few part, it looks every bit as complicated as a system like the Wii U and might rely on more advanced hardware (from the screen to the SOC), there are many parts to assemble, etc.
I'm sure there is not much discussion about 299€ being the rock bottom price for the system. that is already a lot for mostly a handheld system.

I've looked at the sale f the "new" 3DS the XL represents ~75% of the sales (9 millions), it is clear that handheld gamers buy as much screen real estate as money can buy. I think 180€ is still a little too much to get in every body bracket. On the other hand the 2DS sold at too high a price, and was made obsolete by the "new" 3DS after one year on the market. I expect it (the 2DS) to show some leg as 100€ get you quite a present for a kid or a casual gamer (accessories or extra game). It was a major mistake for Nintendo to release the 2DS just ahead of the new 3DS.
Let say they want to have the 3DS line around for some more years they should have pass on the "new" 3DS and release the XL along with the 2DS (same specs and input).

It has been a while now, and soon they will have to upgrade again their handheld line, I can't see the Switch doing the trick, it is way too costly and might never get affordable. Nintendo has a monopoly on handheld, they are splitting that market too much and imho they have the prices a little too high. It hurts them especially as Tablets steal some costumers. Hence my choice for a 2DS follow-up with greater specs (yet reasonable).

I have not develop my points 4 about XL being XL, by that I mean a really big sku looking more like those all-in-one able to operate on battery Windows/Android desktop PC that appears every once in a while. Such hardware would cheap with controller. I think it is something hardcore gamers with money would be likely to spend some money on, more than on an extra inch of screen real estate. It would be a sku worse splitting you users base for.

Last edited:
It is more based on guts feeling, the 2DS launched 130€ (80€ and 5millions shipped) the new 3DS XL for 199€ (without a charger, 180€ now with a charger still nowhere to be seen), the Wii U 349€.
The NX is set to include quite a few part, it looks every bit as complicated as a system like the Wii U and might rely on more advanced hardware (from the screen to the SOC), there are many parts to assemble, etc.
I'm sure there is not much discussion about 299€ being the rock bottom price for the system. that is already a lot for mostly a handheld system.

I've looked at the sale f the "new" 3DS the XL represents ~75% of the sales (9 millions), it is clear that handheld gamers buy as much screen real estate as money can buy. I think 180€ is still a little too much to get in every body bracket. On the other hand the 2DS sold at too high a price, and was made obsolete by the "new" 3DS after one year on the market. I expect it (the 2DS) to show some leg as 100€ get you quite a present for a kid or a casual gamer (accessories or extra game). It was a major mistake for Nintendo to release the 2DS just ahead of the new 3DS.
Let say they want to have the 3DS line around for some more years they should have pass on the "new" 3DS and release the XL along with the 2DS (same specs and input).

It has been a while now, and soon they will have to upgrade again their handheld line, I can't see the Switch doing the trick, it is way too costly and might never get affordable. Nintendo has a monopoly on handheld, they are splitting that market too much and imho they have the prices a little too high. It hurts them especially as Tablets steal some costumers. Hence my choice for a 2DS follow-up with greater specs (yet reasonable).

I have not develop my points 4 about XL being XL, by that I mean a really big sku looking more like those all-in-one able to operate on battery Windows/Android desktop PC that appears every once in a while. Such hardware would cheap with controller. I think it is something hardcore gamers with money would be likely to spend some money on, more than on an extra inch of screen real estate. It would be a sku worse splitting you users base for.

Why don´t you think that NX (Switch) will replace 3ds line eventually?

Kids toying with tablets it´s the norm this days, they could sell just the portable part with a usb charger, and a docking station solo sku, for those who want to add the TV out

My understanding is that the Nintendo Switch replaces both the 3DS & the Wii U. I still want 2D games though, and I fear publisher will not dare release some on the Switch...

Kids toying with tablets it´s the norm this days, they could sell just the portable part with a usb charger, and a docking station solo sku, for those who want to add the TV out
Because it is madness if they do so. There is no way that will sell in the same price bracket as the DS line. As for using the device linked to the TV, I don't believe into it.

Because it is madness if they do so. There is no way that will sell in the same price bracket as the DS line. As for using the device linked to the TV, I don't believe into it.

We don´t know the full price yet.
Maybe it´s not replacing 3Ds now, but when 10nm it´s ready, and could fase out DS with a cheaper part

It´s that far fetched to expect a 200/250€ portable sku?? without the docking station, and no pro controller?

Anyway, it´s been designed as a portable device, that could be used as a stationary one with an additional component, to me this speaks for itself.

3DS is a very different product. Very cheap, 3D (maybe no value in that), small form factor, durable. If you think of users of 3DS, are they really going to consider a 10" tablet a suitable alternative? Some will, as the reason for DS purchase wasn't influenced by form factor, but I think plenty wouldn't consider the Switch as an substitute. Switch won't be able to be priced as low either thanks to multiple parts: wifi controllers, batteries, etc.

It´s that far fetched to expect a 200/250€ portable sku?? without the docking station, and no pro controller?
That's not unreasonable. A new form factor without wireless controls as a fixed portable unit. Could even go clamshell or somesuch with it. That's quite a ways off though.

I'm as eagerly as every body here wainting for the price. The device is a high end one, Nintendo did no skimped it seems. It needs the power to drive Wii U/PS360 type of games and push them on full HD display. If I leave the TV functionality, and Joy con aside, I'm left with a PSP PS Vita type of design that makes both look like conservative designs.
Then comes the extra, Dock, joy-cons, etc.
I see nothing cheap to the system even if Nintendo were to make a "solid body" model.

The 3DS is part of the DS family, the 2DS shown well that 3D is not necessary to that line of product. It is indeed a pretty cheap design with conservative specs. The switch is not, it takes the Vita looks conservative.

Nintendo could just release a smaller screen with a cheaper version of their custom tegra thats compatible with those switch joy con controllers and hail that as a successor to the 3DS.

If the Switch tab is dependent on active cooling from the dock to boost performance when in TV mode then there is a possibility to produce a smaller cheaper device that provides performance of the non boost mode of the switch. Or it can mitigate some performance needs by using lower resolution and other graphical settings.

One game with three different settings serving two different devices with one game cartridge. You call them the 4DS One Pro and the 4DS One Slim. LOL.

Their marketing slogan can be "While our competitors want to give you just more resolution, we want to give you more resolution and more display on top of portability with our premium wares"!!!

Anybody want to settle on a shortened verision of "Switch"? I vote for NS or SWii.

Last edited:
Their marketing slogan can be "While our competitors want to give you just more resolution, we want to give you more resolution and more display on top of portability with our premium wares"!!!.

Significantly longer than "Greatness Awaits" or "All in One", don'tcha think?

It went horribly for Sega.

I believe that once a company no longer makes hardware, it loses that magic.

BEST case for a no hardware Nintendo would be to turn into another boring triple A factory like, EA, Ubi, and Activision (because they manage to make consistent profits in core gaming, and are pretty much the only software success stories in core gaming). And that sounds terrible.

Last edited:
Back