Nintendo Switch Revelation

Docked Switch has to have more "power", otherwise Switch is just an evolution of VITA.
My guess/wish/dream is that docked Switch is similar in power with X1, while undocked - probably 1/3 of that.
The dock, IMHO, is too large to be just a connector to TV plus charger, they could have made it much smaller. Plus, if it is just a TV connector, they could have made it wireless also (press a button, kill the screen and send image to TV).

the size could be to accommodate great cooling with very little noise. So NX can achieve very high overclock (and/or more cores online) when docked.

I still don't like the size of it. If they want to unify portable and couch gaming, they definitely fail in the portable part. I can't see this replacing a 3DS. Well, they probably will let 3DS and Switch coexist until Nvidia can have a soc that can accommodate phone size with good enough performance and battery life to run Switch games.

Not if those kids want a portable device to play games.
For kids the 2DS selling 80€ is a really deal good made a little bitter by the "new" 3DS. The 3DS line is a bit expensive for kids or casual like me (the games ain't cheap contrary to Steam and other outlets for example), the "new" line was nonsensical.
There is no way the Switch can target kids (wealthy ones aside), its concept is new but as things settle down I see no point in having a portable Wii U especially as I think more and more that it can't be priced attractively. I'm leaning more and more toward a 349€ launch price.

Last edited:
Basic SKU bundle may contain Docking base, Tablet, JoyLeft+JoyRight, JoyGrip, Power+HDMI+USB cables and price is ~350€.
Joygrip is an empty shell with usb-passthrough charging wires into a pad connectors, provides a way to recharge without tablet and while playing.

what is the price of xbox 360 and 3DS in the US?

if they can match those price, and then lower 3DS price (like sony did with PS4 pro. same price as ps4, ps4 price got lowered), i think it will be buying it :D

Around $100 for the Sony/MS PS360 systems. There is no way Nintendo will match that price.

72617442.jpg

As much as i would love to see the Tegra Parker with its Denver cores powering switch, i think its more likely to be Tegra X1. Mainly because consoles are developed for years, and especially with Nintendo, they have typically been custom variants of older tech. I still think performance will be very good for a tablet like device, and with Nvidia creating the custom lightweight API, it should get a lot of bang for the buck.

My only fear is where is the price going to be? At $249 or less, i could see it doing very well. If it ends up being above that, its going to be a tough sell for all but the most hardcore Nintendo fans. Nintendo did say the price was too high with Wii U, so heres hoping they have a really agressive price. If rumored specs are correct, i could even see a $199 Base model being possible.

My hope is that nvidia has valued the opportunity of showcasing their mobile tech producing new or even upcoming ip.
Amd is doing it with microsoft and sony with a fraction of the budget.
A nerd can dream

As much as i would love to see the Tegra Parker with its Denver cores powering switch, i think its more likely to be Tegra X1. Mainly because consoles are developed for years, and especially with Nintendo, they have typically been custom variants of older tech. I still think performance will be very good for a tablet like device, and with Nvidia creating the custom lightweight API, it should get a lot of bang for the buck.

My only fear is where is the price going to be? At $249 or less, i could see it doing very well. If it ends up being above that, its going to be a tough sell for all but the most hardcore Nintendo fans. Nintendo did say the price was too high with Wii U, so heres hoping they have a really agressive price. If rumored specs are correct, i could even see a $199 Base model being possible.
249€ IS IMPOSSIBLE, they CAN'T sell this at this price while the new 3DS sell @199€.
Looking at the tegra shield tablet and its promotional nature for Nvidia, the odds for less than 299€ are imho zero, my bet is on 349€.

349 would be hard to sell... Hell even 249. I wonder how they will market it tbh. Underpowered home console (again), too big and probably crappy battery life mobile device. It is a successor to the 3DS too ? ...

Looking at the tegra shield tablet and its promotional nature for Nvidia, the odds for less than 299€ are imho zero, my bet is on 349€.

nVidia Shield K1 tablet is $199 with an 8" 1920x1200 display and that is a product with far smaller volume and potential for software revenue. Nintendo Switch doesn't scream expensive to me in the least. I think Nintendo can easily price it at $249 and I hope they do. $299 is the absolute max and too much imo.

Nintendo had great success with the Wii and that launched at $249 and at the end of its life, it was going for $99. Then Nintendo had the Wii U launch at $299-349, it bombed and was viewed as too expensive among other issues. Do we really expect them to sell this at the same price as the Wii U premium after what happened. Does this appear as more expensive to produce as the Wii U back then? Switch looks cheap to me and there is some evidence and motive for nVidia to give a good deal to Nintendo here. If the price of this thing starts with a 3, it is dead on arrival imo and I think Nintendo knows this.

That is not the launch price ;)

Actually it is the launch price for the Shield K1. They had a tablet before that called just Shield, which was more expensive and had some issues and was recalled from the market, then later they launched the K1, a revised model for $199.

edit: and yeah I'd expect 3DS to drop in price once the Switch hits the market, and even if it doesn't, the 3DS XL is at the high end of the DS product range, it starts much lower. Switch can have 2-3 skus as well.

Im going to throw out my initial estimate on price of everything shown in the video at $349 perhaps with special pricing incentive to hit $329.

Nintendo Switch portable tablet
Joy Pro right and left side joysticks
Joy Pro Battery pack joystick contraption (strap on the joy right and left)
Docking Station to TV
Nintendo Switch slide mounting thang for on the go
Nintendo Pro Controller (what the rest of the world calls a basic gamepad)

Its also possible the bundle will be without a Pro Controller.

Back