Nintendo Switch Revelation

IT is to big to fit in your pocket but then again so is the 3Ds XL and so are all other tablets.
Untrue. Many small tablets can fit in jacket or coat pocket. I can even fit a Nexus 7 in my trouser pocket without any stress.

As for the TV of course it will underwhelm if you put it next to a pro or scorpio but considering this console will be rendering in 720p it doesn't need the same power as the ps4 or xbox one to look quite as good. Also I can't walk up to my xbox or ps4 and take it off my media furniture and walk away while still playing it.
Of course not - that's Switch's USP. The question is, who in real terms actually wants to take their console games with them on the move?

https://twitter.com/NWPlayer123/stat...16886109655041

Four ARM Cortex-A57 cores, max 2GHz
NVidia second-generation Maxwell architecture
256 CUDA cores, max 1 GHz, 1024 FLOPS/cycle
4GB RAM (25.6 GB/s, VRAM shared)
32 GB storage (Max transfer 400 MB/s)
USB 2.0 & 3.0
1280 x 720 6.2" IPS LCD
1080p at 60 fps or 4k at 30 fps max video output
Capcitance method, 10-point multi-touch

was this posted ?

It appeared on GAF but that's pretty much the Shield TV's specs with the already known 6" 720p screen and a standard HDMI 1.4 output. It's a Tegra X1.

Pretty shitty effort from nvidia and Nintendo if true, to be honest. At least on the hardware front.
It would basically be the cancelled Tegra X1 tablet with a smaller and lower resolution screen, plus those bluetooth joypads on the side.

I also fail to see why a Tegra X1 device wouldn't get HDMI 2.0 for 4K media content, considering the chip already supports it.

Of course not - that's Switch's USP. The question is, who in real terms actually wants to take their console games with them on the move?
Then it's time for one of those B3D polls..

...which I'm too lazy to create right now because it's late and it's Friday and I need to get some sleep.

It appeared on GAF but that's pretty much the Shield TV's specs with the already known 6" 720p screen and a standard HDMI 1.4 output. It's a Tegra X1.

Pretty shitty effort from nvidia and Nintendo if true, to be honest. At least on the hardware front.
It would basically be the cancelled Tegra X1 tablet with a smaller and lower resolution screen, plus those bluetooth joypads on the side.

I also fail to see why a Tegra X1 device wouldn't get HDMI 2.0 for 4K media content, considering the chip already supports it.

There will be plenty of wiggle room for some people to convince themselves it's a pascal GPU, and the dock station has additional processing despite Nintendo's denial (already a thread on GAF), and when we're done it'll be more powerful than Scorpio. And details from Nintendo will be scant to none, at the very least for many more months, heck some people surely dont accept that Wii U is only 160 SP's to this day, because Nintendo hid that something fierce, apparently not even openly stating the specs in developer documents. There's a reason they call it a "custom Tegra based GPU" or whatever, so we dont know what the hell it is.

But with Nintendo always assume the worst. Which actually IMO given the portable angle here, isn't horrendous this time. Like I said, it seems a solid step up in capability from the Wii U anyway.

Iterative consoles by MS and Sony though really put any thought by Nintendo of competing in power by the wayside though. To compare to 1.8 and 1.3 TF is on thing, 4.2 and 6 just blow it away though.

Untrue. Many small tablets can fit in jacket or coat pocket. I can even fit a Nexus 7 in my trouser pocket without any stress.

I thought we were talking about pants pockets not jackets. Why would a 6 inch tablet not fit in your pocket ? How much smaller is your nexus 7 ? I doubt its much smaller if it has a 7 inch screen.

Also I think everyone would like to take their console with them . Wifi is becoming readily avalible its not like the vita launch. I can get wifi on trains , busses and so on. Hot spots on phones are pretty cheap and fast now. I'd love to play skyrim where ever I go. My surface barely plays it. I'd also love fallout 4 on the go too.

The best indicator of battery-life issues is ios phones. If you look at "full-load" type tests on glxbench, you'll see that unlike android phones,the iphone7 sustains impressive frame rate right up until the battery dies, with the final frame rate being 49fps. But the cost is battery life. It gets just 2.24 on the test.

The bigger screen 7+ doesn't fair any better. You'd think the bigger screen/more pixels would be compensated by the bigger battery that the size allows. But the 7+ final fame rate is only 25fps (which is still x2 what many android phones acheive), with a battery life of 3.17hrs.

Not that it really matters or changes your main point about battery life being a big issue on mobile devices, but the 7+ does get one hour more in that test, so it definitely fares much better. Almost in line with the battery size.

The test is run on the displays's native resolution and because of this the 7+ when not throttling is only getting around 42fps @1080p. 7 however is hitting a vsync limit at 60fps on it's native resolution of 1334x750 and thus would probably go quite a bit higher without the limit. If you look at the throttled framerates, you see that 7 runs twice as many, but 7+ renders twice the pixels, so I think both models throttle to the same Mhz speed.

I like the Switch console, but pricing really is the key here. $249-259 should be the max. $299 is too much imo and ideally I would like to see it at $199, but it might not be doable, but for this to fly I think it needs to be very affordable. I don't know if some of the shipping figure rumours had any truth to them, but I remember something about Nintendo first expecting to ship huge numbers and then revising them down quite a bit... Perhaps they targeted a very low price point at first, but had to cave in a bit and now target higher?

I hope a docking base does not have an additional flash hdd. It would split a game experience once tablet is detached unless software scales between a static highres vs lowres resource files location. Also base and tablet used some kind of PKI security pairing, can I put my tablet to an another base at friends house. Lots of room for speculations this year until Nintendo reappears.

I thought we were talking about pants pockets not jackets. Why would a 6 inch tablet not fit in your pocket ? How much smaller is your nexus 7 ? I doubt its much smaller if it has a 7 inch screen.
It can be any pocket that's with you. But a 6" screen won't fit where a 7" can when the 6" is twice the thickness and has two controllers stuck on the side - the full system is about 10" by 4".

Also I think everyone would like to take their console with them...
It's definitely not everyone. Of course, when I was advocating my Grand Vision of the Future with a portable gaming tablet/console, I was much more willing to believe people would. ;) I think if it's popular, yes, people will want it to be portable to share the gaming experience. If it's not, I think it adds little.

https://twitter.com/NWPlayer123/stat...16886109655041

Four ARM Cortex-A57 cores, max 2GHz
NVidia second-generation Maxwell architecture
256 CUDA cores, max 1 GHz, 1024 FLOPS/cycle
4GB RAM (25.6 GB/s, VRAM shared)
32 GB storage (Max transfer 400 MB/s)
USB 2.0 & 3.0
1280 x 720 6.2" IPS LCD
1080p at 60 fps or 4k at 30 fps max video output
Capcitance method, 10-point multi-touch

was this posted ?

It this is true I think they might be able to hit $200 or $250 for pricing.
It bears mentioning, since people don't seem to click the link you provided, that these are the rumoured specs of the devkit.

LTTP but I like it. I don't care about the specifications as long as the games are good - which is really the trick as I'm not buying modern rehashes of past Nintendo games I've played many times before.

It can be any pocket that's with you. But a 6" screen won't fit where a 7" can when the 6" is twice the thickness and has two controllers stuck on the side - the full system is about 10" by 4".

Yep, my Nexus 7 will just about fit in my back pockets because it's very thin and doesn't have analogue sticks sticking out. Not that I'd carry my Nexus 7 anywhere other than round the house like that. NX is longer and much thicker and those analog sticks are going to be a bulge and snag bonanza.

NX is definitely less portable than a nexus 7 (or a phablet), and with greatly reduced battery life under their respective typical use cases.

It bears mentioning, since people don't seem to click the link you provided, that these are the rumoured specs of the devkit.

And while it's absolutely true that the final hardware would not necessarily need to be the same, Nintendo do have form for getting the hardware down relatively early and then releasing when the games are ready and polished, where as Sony and MS would be scrambling to be finished on a fairly tight schedule. Wii vs 360 and PS3 is probably one of the best examples (lol launch 360 etc), and even GC and N64 were ready to go a few months before the launch software was ready. More recently, WiiU used hardware from the Sputnik program (resistive touch, VLIW5 graphics, Power PC 750 cores, all delivered on retro 45 nm processes for both the GPU and CPU).

So while NX may very well be beyond the rumoured devkit for final hardware, it may very well not be either.

So while NX may very well be beyond the rumoured devkit for final hardware, it may very well not be either.
Quite. We just don't know. Also, while using TSMC cost optimised 16nmFF would seem reasonable from any viewpoint, that doesn't mean that performance would increase. Nintendo could utilise the improved process to lower power draw and extend battery life (or use a smaller/cheaper/lighter battery), or even specify a cut down lower cost SoC.
What the rumours about the devkit do provide, if we choose to believe them, is a ballpark estimate of overall capabilities, as far as they can be provided by a highly clocked Tegra X1.

(For instance, Tegra X1 can't emulate the 128-bit bus of Parker.)

Also I think everyone would like to take their console with them . Wifi is becoming readily avalible its not like the vita launch. I can get wifi on trains , busses and so on. Hot spots on phones are pretty cheap and fast now. I'd love to play skyrim where ever I go. My surface barely plays it. I'd also love fallout 4 on the go too.

That is your great misconception. Everything up to now has shown that, while some people do like the idea of taking their big, complex, long, console games out of the house, the large majority has no interest in having that kind of experience out of their coutch and away from their big screen.

That is your great misconception. Everything up to now has shown that, while some people do like the idea of taking their big, complex, long, console games out of the house, the large majority has no interest in having that kind of experience out of their coutch and away from their big screen.
Hmm. Don't really see that 3DS RPGs don't match that description. And that volume of players is substantial. I think they would appreciate prettier graphics too. And gaming on the go is not the only application. My daughters prefer watching Netflix on the iPads over the big screen, because they can do it anywhere they like and they can be private. Just as I have found that I vastly prefer using the very same iPads for surfing/messaging and so on over sitting down in front of my stationary computer despite its objectively superior screen and interface. For a lot of people flexibility, (regardless of how commonly taken advantage of,) is a value. Once you've had it, you really don't want to go without.

Well, none of us has raw data. We are speculating over gut feeling. The future will tell us how broad that market is.

Aren't JRPGs an exception because they can be played piecemeal? That is, they tend to be structured as short episodes of combat etc., unlike a typical western AAA title that's divided into longer chapters. eg. Gears or Uncharted or AC. Would you like to dip into 10 minutes of part of Chapter N and stop midway?

What's really needed is an analysis of mobile gaming habits, whether games need to be delivered in ten minutes or less experiences or whether people will spend 30+ minutes at a time. With break down for demographics.

Seriously don't see Nintendo selling it for less than $300 for the entry model(e.g. no dock). Nvidia Shield released at that too.

Tommy McClain
now that you mention the NVidia Shield, tablets like that have been around for a while. Allegedly, the NX concept exists in China, the Aikun Morphus X300 was created a year ago.

http://kotaku.com/china-already-has-a-handheld-like-the-nintendo-switch-1788056087

There is also the Ipega controller

https://www.amazon.com/IPEGA-Telescopic-Wireless-Bluetooth-Controller/dp/B00RE6FMD8

phoca_thumb_l_pg-9023.jpg

But the difference to me is that you can connect the NX to a TV, and power too.

now that you mention the NVidia Shield, tablets like that have been around for a while. Allegedly, the NX concept exists in China, the Aikun Morphus X300 was created a year ago. ...clip....
But the difference to me is that you can connect the NX to a TV, and power too.
Morphus X300(Android 5.1 Lollipop) tablet has a HDMI video port. NX difference might be an easy to use docking base+charger and a global Nintendo brand recognition. Expecting Android electronics factories to copy a docking base idea as we speak.

Back