Last of Us [PS4]

they also have great level design that makes the illussion of big city = awesome.

for example, you spends 45 minutes in cramped areas. then you get 5 minutes in an area with very vast view (you cant go there), then the other 15 minutes you are funnelled in outdoor areas that feels vast (its just a corridor with invisible walls*) and feels like you are going to that very vast area.

*the implementation of invisible walls in TLOU is the best (or one of the best) i ever know. You wont know it is there except when you deliberately running backwards/backtracks and tries to explore weird edge areas.

the contrast of this is FF XIII, especially the 1st mission in "Hanged Edge" where invisible walls is clearly there and you clearly see + feel you are funnelled in small corridor (with invisible walls).

Got this for just $10 :) ! But I think it looks nothing like other remasters like Metro and TR. This one has the most artifacts, jaggies and last gen feeling to it. Also, there seems to be a bug where the colour space becomes limited some levels, leading to grey blacks and a complete washed out look.
Now I think the UC4 low contrast look might be the same bug.

EDIT: The bug kicks in when the game switches post-processing in-game. Like going from day to night, indoors to out doors,etc. BTW, reached Capitol building and the game just got too beautiful :cool: !

Last edited:
Via The Verge, TLoU mega fan Grant Voegtle has created a series of TV episode-style videos which tell the story of the game for those you don't want to play it, or will never get the chance too. He's just uploaded episode 6 with the final episode 7 due in the coming weeks. Episodes range between 30 and 60 minutes, thus far.

The Verge's article explains all but in brief he took the in-game cutscenes and actual gameplay footage from playing the game, replaying some scenes up to 100 times to capture footage from different angles or just to make sure the action flowed as he wanted, then cut them together. So this is not full playthrough, this is a more compressed, focussed and polished retelling of the game.

Having watched the first episode I am super impressed. He's captured details and conversations that I've somehow missed (or maybe just forgotten) in my many play throughs of the game. Obviously huge spoiler alert so if you've not played The Last of Us, but intend to, you will want to give this a miss. If you want

Episode 1, 20 Years Later

Episode 2, Just Cargo

Episode 3, Partners

Episode 4, The Hunters

Episode 5, Brothers

Episode 6, The Most Dangerous Game

Episode 7
COMING SOON

That's a lot of work considering it's for people who have the time but no intention of playing the game - thus no real interest in the game, or they'd be playing the bloody thing.

Not everybody has access to a PlayStation for 10 hours and then there are people who don't like scary games. It's really for those type of folks.

I've watched one full playthrough (20-25 hours?) and I'm now watching this. Last of Us is fantastic. But there's no way in hell I'll ever own a console, let alone buy/rent one to play this game.

Yea, I am in fact thinking of not buying the Pro but getting a HDR monitor with that money as the base ps4 will output HDR too. Games should look gorgeous with HDR. This will be replayed again if that happens, though I am not sure how much a good HDR monitor would cost me.

I don't even think good HDR exists outside of $1000+ TVs?

Yes, anything below 2000-300 euros is a waste. You need 1) HDR10 support (TV makers sell lot of TVs with just 500 nites claiming HDR), 2) > 1000 nits.

To my opinion, we're still 2-3 years away from a proper implementation. Technically and affordable.

Sony and Samsung have cheaper HDR10 offerings [PS4 and Xbox One S only support HDR 10]. US folks can get Sony X800D for $650, while we in EU can find it for 750€. Samsungs KU6300 is cheaper, but with worse image [but a bit lower lag]. X800D is a really solid.

Samsunks KU8000 [in EU it's called KU7000] is current best choice. Excellent image quality, strong HDR [1400nits] and very low lag, without utterly crazy price.

Yes, anything below 2000-300 euros is a waste. You need 1) HDR10 support (TV makers sell lot of TVs with just 500 nites claiming HDR), 2) > 1000 nits.

To my opinion, we're still 2-3 years away from a proper implementation. Technically and affordable.
That's not 100% correct though. OLEDs 'only' get up to 600-700 nits but It's pretty obvious they have the best picture quality out there now. Plus the LGs support both DV and HDR10

If folks want to get ready for mind blowing HDR performance which is why you're upgrading to the Pro, Scorpio or X1S for right? Then better to get a FALD LED LCD tv for now. The combination of local dimming, way higher peak brightness and motion performance would give you an overall better impact than the Oled. In SDR tho, Oled is king, period. But its less than ideal 600-700nits peak brightness really drags it down for HDR contents especially when you put it side by side with a competing LED.
It all comes down to what your needs are, priorities and in a few years time when Oled is bright enough say 1000 nits +, then it's time to jump ship. Not to mention the anoying Automatic brightness limiter, in gaming that's a big no no. No one wants to stare into a beautiful sky and appreciate the clouds but all of a sudden find your peak brightness drop down to 3/4.

Back