Nintendo Switch Revelation

I think some of the more affluent schools are integrating iPads into the curriculum, even for kids in elementary school.

Maybe they don't own them, can use them only in school though.

But some parents may have bought them iPads anyways, if it enhances their education.

If it's up to the kids though, of course they'll want their parents to buy them a gaming device too.

Yeah that's the other thing, besides education, there could be the social component. Are kids that young using chat or social media these days? Nintendo may have to consider something like that to tap into that market but without a touchscreen, it could get awkward to use.

Given that I doubt most parents are replacing their kid's iPad on an annual basis there is more than enough room for kids to have more than one mobile device. Plus when u got grand parents, aunts and uncles in the mix, you find that kids have many avenues to try to acquire devices.

The only thing me and my wife have given our son in terms of a gaming device was a "hand me down" iPad (the very first gen) and an iPod. Yet my son has an android tab, Xbox one, a replacement iPod for the one he lost and a 3DS. Now my son (whose only 9) wants an iPhone 5, which I told him wouldn't happen anytime soon, is working his connections like a Silicon Valley start up looking for angel investors. LOL. He actually got a "yes" from his grandfather the other day after what has now been a six month campaign.

iPad or not, if the switch gets it hooks into the minds of young, it will generate sales from that demographic.

Last edited:
I thought so too at first until I realize the issue that it presents. If u want a single control scheme that works for both single player and multiplayer for your typical 3D game, then u have to switch aiming/movement to the opposite sticks.

I guess if they release goldeneye on the switch, it provide added nostalgia.
The detachable controllers are great for kids. (The entire console concept is.) Imagine a family with two or more children. One kid plays, but starts getting pestered by sibling. Rather than fight over the console, they can switch to a cooperative or competitive dual player game(mode). In their beds. Or if a kid has a friend over, they can hunker down anywhere and play together - if more kids want to get involved, they can play on the big screen. Eventually, if the kids really are into it, another Switch may have to be purchased, and then you can set up dual screen multiplayer anywhere (grandparents....). Plus of course the usual car/train/bus uses.
All with physical controls which is preferable to everyone, but kids in particular.

IMO the concept is great. We'll see about the nitty gritty soon enough.

I think to most kids, the Switch is infinitely less capable than real tablet, that is assuming that it's just going to be a console and not be competitive with Android and IOS.

I was speaking in comparison to the 3DS. That was an underpowered, compromised platform from day one. Switch will be a reasonably modern portable with contemporary rather than "withered" technology.

How is it better than the 3ds? By being huge, more complicated and more expensive? Isn't the audience of 3ds kids? Does this looks like something a parent would by his kid?
I would.
Whether I would do it over an iPad mini is another question, but that isn't because this is a bad concept. It's just that the device has competition. But so would any other design. Let's put it this way - apart from fragility (which is a real issue), this is better than the 3DS in every way.

I don't think it's better than 3DS if you play "outside". It seems large for a mobile device. I really think it's the worst of both world. Underpowered for a home console, and too large for a mobile. And the "tiny pads mode" is ridiculous, who can play like that ?

I think it will be a Wii U 2. Support at start, but then only nintendo games because third parties won't port their new games to a underpowered thing. I wonder what Nintendo is thinking. And why they were so secretive, because other android tablets have try this in the past (yeah with the hdmi dock and all), and it bombed. Nothing new here.

The detachable controllers are great for kids. (The entire console concept is.) Imagine a family with two or more children. One kid plays, but starts getting pestered by sibling. Rather than fight over the console, they can switch to a cooperative or competitive dual player game(mode). In their beds. Or if a kid has a friend over, they can hunker down anywhere and play together - if more kids want to get involved, they can play on the big screen. Eventually, if the kids really are into it, another Switch may have to be purchased, and then you can set up dual screen multiplayer anywhere (grandparents....). Plus of course the usual car/train/bus uses.
All with physical controls which is preferable to everyone, but kids in particular.

IMO the concept is great. We'll see about the nitty gritty soon enough.

I like the ideal. However, it seems like a little bit of over engineering that can easily be accomplished by the purchase of a second controller. The biggest problem I see with the design is the unwillingness for third party devs to compromise multiplat titles control schemes just for a limited circumstance on the switch. Most third party pub games are developed with multiple shoulder buttons, two analog sticks, 4 face buttons and a directional pad in mind. More than likely they are going to supply a control scheme with limited functionality that will make for an arkward control experience.

Wonder about additionnal pads, they have shown a "pro" controller.
Have we lost motion tracking, stereoscopy and touch control all at once ?

Yeah, the main docked pad, conglomeration of the side pads, looks rather unwieldy.

The ugly pea soup green pro controller, needs to be included standard. Apparently it isn't.

I dont know why they chose that color that looks like a bad third party knockoff though. I thought Nintendo was known for form like Apple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonder about additionnal pads, they have shown a "pro" controller.
Have we lost motion tracking, stereoscopy and touch control all at once ?

Is that not the same as the Wii upwards, they had a dedicated controller that was good for the retro and competitive games?

The l and r joy pads could do with some gyro to add to the possible controls for flexibility but mostly as a simple addition as you loose the second analogue stick, rather than key to the game in all control modes.

With all the options it seems like the Mario party of consoles. They want an option for each social setting, quite nice idea with the l and r pads to make it 2 player out the box and one serious pad when combined.

Has my interest now when before it did not, just seeing the options makes you think that could work with kids in a family setting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it's better than 3DS if you play "outside". It seems large for a mobile device. I really think it's the worst of both world. Underpowered for a home console, and too large for a mobile. And the "tiny pads mode" is ridiculous, who can play like that ?

I think it will be a Wii U 2. Support at start, but then only nintendo games because third parties won't port their new games to a underpowered thing. I wonder what Nintendo is thinking. And why they were so secretive, because other android tablets have try this in the past (yeah with the hdmi dock and all), and it bombed. Nothing new here.

Well, Nintendo makes it a lot more viable than in Nvidia made the same thing.

But yeah, at this point I dont think anybody even really expects Nintendo hardware to get 3rd party support. It's a package as Nintendo support only mostly. People know that going in.

I still remember CliffyB (or somebody) saying something like "on other platforms you have lots of 3rd party competition, when developing for Nintendo consoles, your greatest enemy is Nintendo themselves" or something like that.

Well, Nintendo makes it a lot more viable than in Nvidia made the same thing.

But yeah, at this point I dont think anybody even really expects Nintendo hardware to get 3rd party support. It's a package as Nintendo support only mostly. People know that going in.

I still remember CliffyB (or somebody) saying something like "on other platforms you have lots of 3rd party competition, when developing for Nintendo consoles, your greatest enemy is Nintendo themselves" or something like that.

Yeah it's practically always been that way with Nintendo. Third parties are more a necessary nuisance than a respected and coveted ally to Nintendo.

And while people know that going in, it's a major reason why most people don't bother showing up.

As long as they keeps churning ace attorney series, layton series, or even a new ghost trick, I'll keep buying Nintendo console

None of them are Nintendo games tho.

Not really impressed with what Nintendo showed other than finally showing a proper sequel to Mario 64 but that's probably enough for a lot of people.

Android is very close to having this already, although maybe patents will prevent clones. But I'd rather have a 7" Android tablet that I can attach side controllers too or dock, assuming power draw isn't insane (which it will be). Of course the Switch has heft which a tablet tries to avoid, and the tablets are unlikely to get decent software support for such a configuration.

Struggling to see the market for this.

It's too big to fit in your pocket, can't replace your phone or tablet, can't compete with PS4Bone on power - let alone ScorpiPro, will be expensive, and probably won't ship with the cradle and probably will have less than stellar battery life.

On a TV it will underwhelm, on the move it will be powerful but will require planning to take it with you (unlike your phone), mobile multiplayer seems like a cool feature but two people squinting at a small screen (while all your skater friends watch excitedly) will get old fast, game prices will seem expensive compared to other mobile games and game you'll look like a bit of a tool sat using it on the train.

I *do* think they'll find a market for kids and car backseats - especially if you cache child pacifying movies and tv shows - and that could potentially be lucrative. But beyond the car <-> bedroom portability and Nintendo fans I'm not seeing where this is going to break out from just being a super Wuublet.

Though I was wrong about the Wii so IMHO and all that ....

It's too big to fit in your pocket

Just like tablets and phablets.

can't replace your phone or tablet

Neither can 3DS, xbox one or ps4. What is your point?

can't compete with PS4Bone on power

No, but it might be close enough not to matter and unlike those two systems you can take it with you.

will be expensive

Don't think it will be priced the same as the 3DS but I don't see it being more expensive than xbox one or ps4 either.

probably won't ship with the cradle

Pretty sure it will ship with it as it seems a rather integral (and cheap to make) part of the system.

probably will have less than stellar battery life

Who knows. Some people say it looks pretty thick so a big battery would fit.

On a TV it will underwhelm

Why? Because it is not going to be as powerful as xbox one and ps4? Those console aren't anywhere near as powerful as pc's, do they underwhelm? Do people not buy consoles?

will require planning to take it with you

Let's not exaggerate. You'll need a bag but most people have a bag with them when they go to work/school/someplace else so I don't see that being a massive problem. The same could be said for tablets and plenty of people take those with them.

game prices will seem expensive compared to other mobile games

It's a console and games will probably priced as such. Yes compared to flappy bird it will look expensive but you'll be buying a real game and not something to entertain you for 10 minutes so it's not a valid argument. 3DS and vita games are much more expensive than mobile games as well.

and game you'll look like a bit of a tool sat using it on the train

Only peasants have to take the train so you'll look like a tool regardless ;) Personally I couldn't care less what people might or might not think of me on the train/airplane.

Back