Image Quality and Framebuffer Analysis for Available/release build Games *Read the first post*

It affects both. The CPU still has to prepare the data the GPU processes, so better graphics means more CPU load.

So why don't they lower the resolution on Battlefield 1 to get better performances ? Because that won't change anything... ant this is why in many CPU bound games, the PS4 version still runs at a higher resolution.

So why don't they lower the resolution on Battlefield 1 to get better performances ? Because that won't change anything... ant this is why in many CPU bound games, the PS4 version still runs at a higher resolution.
Well on console CPU/GPU bound is less of a thing, because console games are, for the most part, optimized to make full use of both the CPU and GPU (load balance and low level optimizations), so lowering a resolution on most console games wouldn't improve performance. But regardless of how well optimized a game is, there will be various usage levels on the GPU, and that opens the door for dynamic resolution improvements if the game was optimized for a lower target resolution like Battlefield. Resolution changes don't affect CPU usage, so dynamic resolution is actually a better improvement than an unlocked frame rate. Basically, you design the CPU code so it's always capable of running at least 60fps at your target resolution, then you scale the resolution based on how the graphics at each moment affects GPU load. If the GPU load decreases, you can increase resolution to compensate.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

DF: Battlefield 1 analysis

900p seems the mid ground with dynamic res, better than previous bf titles.

seems quite close to 60 when it counts, less when in a lumbering tank or reading text pop ups.

Interesting tearing on the top, bottom and sides, almost like foveated rendering (my words not DF) where the center gets the bulk of the shading work and the outside is somehow reconstructed?

Maybe it works like the nvidia multi-res shading? Higher res at the center and lower in the corners?

hm... my first thought was that the trees were just suffering from depth discontinuities with the smoke/fog, but... maybe it needs other places for analysis to discount that. The tearing is weird though.

dafuq
O8nZ6Sp.png

You're tearing me apart, Lisa!

Last edited:
It's not impossible some of the VR inspired optimizations make it in as they make sense in regular instances as well, as you're typically looking at the center of the screen in games like these where you aim with the camera. And clearly they've been working on VR for the Battlefront VR content.

hm... my first thought was that the trees were just suffering from depth discontinuities with the smoke/fog, but... maybe it needs other places for analysis to discount that. The tearing is weird though.

dafuq
O8nZ6Sp.png

Is there a raw PNG of this somewhere to check out rather than jpgs ?

From that it almost looks like there is vertical bands also like large macro blocks but the horizontal is more out of step than the vertical, but that could be jpg artifacts.

dafuq
O8nZ6Sp.png

Looks to me that it's only horizontal and every ~32 pixels and it looks like double line.

My guess is that they have some small problem in post processing step or similar due to 1080 doesn't divide nicely with 32. ..
It also could be something as silly as nearest neighbor scaling for very small amount.

Very clearly native* - look at the grey windows on the cinema.

* assuming not a clever reconstruction technique! How can we ever know??

Very clearly native* - look at the grey windows on the cinema.

* assuming not a clever reconstruction technique! How can we ever know??

Indeed, it increasingly goes back to

Native what?

Mark Cerny detailed the use of a 4k id and depth buffer so even if this is checkerboard the geometry might be native 4K so looking at straight lines may no longer be enough. From DF they have pointed out artifacts from checkerboard with flames and particle effects, who knows what the dark masters of this resolution art need to look at now.

What I can say is looks nice on my mobile phone screen :yep2:

According to Nx Gamer, the Division now runs at native 4K on Pro (all the time meaning not dynamic res also not geometry rendering, not checkerboard rendering) at a pretty much locked 30fps like on base PS4 version.

Back