NX Gamer Discusses Game Tech *spin* [2015 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's starting to get there. I'm likely to be finally upgrading CPU, MB, and RAM when the next processor line comes out from Intel. I'm setting aside ~350 USD for that.

The nice thing is that memory has finally started to fall back to the levels it was at back in 2012. I spend ~100 USD for 32 GB back then. And it's around that now. I'll probably just go with 16 GB for my next upgrade, however. I never really needed 32 GB.

Regards,
SB

X1 version of ME:C

Some very obvious LOD pop-in issues (as with most FB3 games released recently), the worst offender at 5:47. I would like to see some improvements there, hopefully with the release of Battlefield 1 :yep2:

That's pretty nasty. Entire shadowed structure suddenly gets illuminated, windows on buildings are changing etc.o_O

Looks like they increased FOV since beta?

Framerate seems mostly solid at least.

Last edited:
That's pretty nasty. Entire shadowed structure suddenly gets illuminated, windows on buildings are changing etc.o_O

Looks like they increased FOV since beta?

Framerate seems mostly solid at least.

FOV is included as an option in the game so i'm guessing NXG just upped that setting.

I asked him about OG Xbox One performance. He has yet to test it but doesn't expect it to run as well as the S. :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I asked him about OG Xbox One performance. He has yet to test it but doesn't expect it to run as well as the S. :/

Would be interesting as the extra gpu was included to allow non hdr encoding for screenshots and and DVR?

As a hdr title I assume that gpu allocation is being utilised by the system.

Isn't HDR essentially kinda free? Almost? More or less? No?

form an interview with Digital Foundry.
DF said:
GPU 'overclock' is one of a number of enhancements in a new system-on-chip (SoC) package that adds support for 4K HDR media and gaming. According to Microsoft, upclocking the graphics core is needed to support rendering real-time non-HDR versions of the game for the GameDVR feature, streaming and screenshots. The firm could have disabled it for non-HDR titles, but they chose not to - it's effectively a small, bonus value-added feature

thus the performance boost may only be non HDR titles ?

This makes BF1 which is not now a HDR title but will be shortly a very interesting test bed to detail exactly how this affects performance.

This better have HDR support for PS4 Pro on launch, I don't even care if it's just a 1080p buffer but I want it to at least have HDR and wide color gamut.

Well for Gears 4 it automatically defaults to bt2020 when in HDR mode and I could see the difference when in rec 709, the latter looked less saturated in color. DF also mentioned about Deus EX MD detecting bt2020 in HDR.

Well for Gears 4 it automatically defaults to bt2020 when in HDR mode and I could see the difference when in rec 709, the latter looked less saturated in color. DF also mentioned about Deus EX MD detecting bt2020 in HDR.

I think the hdr spec is to use the rec 2020 container, uhd video uses DCI p3 video inside this.

For games are changes seen actual content change or conversion and then display mapping changes at the tv?
The luminance change may bring additional detail out for the same colour space?

If there is a change to wide colour gamut it should be striking especially in a stylised game like gears?

For the record I have upgraded to the one s specifically for hdr and would love if it was using a wider colour space.

This is from a digital foundry article...

"Digital Foundry: Are you using the wider colour gamut (DCI P3) for HDR-enabled titles?

Albert Penello: Not currently. We are not supporting WCG for games in Xbox One S. We are supporting the wider Bt.2020 color gamut in Xbox One S for media, however."

No WCG games yet on Xbox One. Let's hope Sony embraces it!

the painful irony is because they use HDR10 they have to send a WCG signal to the tv so must be mapping a lower colour gamut into this colour space.

I do not understand enough to know what or how this takes place, but I believe they have talked in fair detail on it.

from Digital foundry specific to Gears 4 Tech

Digital Foundry: How does the support for HDR output support affect the pipeline? Is the tone-mapping stage skipped?

Mike Rayner: The majority of modern triple-A game engines have full HDR rendering pipelines and Gears of War 4 is no exception. For the 3D scene, we ultimately tone-map down to a different curve than for LDR and this gets sent to the monitor.

One complication is some of the colour grading is done in LDR sRGB space so we end up doing a traditional LDR tone-map, followed by grading and then conversion to the ST.2084 color space. For UI and HUD, we only want to limit its rendering to a smaller subset of the full range to stop it being too bright. This required conversion prior to compositing and some tuning to get the right look. We did tune some content to make fuller use of HDR space such as some skyboxes and VFX textures but overall >99.9 per cent of our content just worked in HDR.

the painful irony is because they use HDR10 they have to send a WCG signal to the tv so must be mapping a lower colour gamut into this colour space.

I do not understand enough to know what or how this takes place, but I believe they have talked in fair detail on it.

from Digital foundry specific to Gears 4 Tech

Digital Foundry: How does the support for HDR output support affect the pipeline? Is the tone-mapping stage skipped?

Mike Rayner: The majority of modern triple-A game engines have full HDR rendering pipelines and Gears of War 4 is no exception. For the 3D scene, we ultimately tone-map down to a different curve than for LDR and this gets sent to the monitor.

One complication is some of the colour grading is done in LDR sRGB space so we end up doing a traditional LDR tone-map, followed by grading and then conversion to the ST.2084 color space. For UI and HUD, we only want to limit its rendering to a smaller subset of the full range to stop it being too bright. This required conversion prior to compositing and some tuning to get the right look. We did tune some content to make fuller use of HDR space such as some skyboxes and VFX textures but overall >99.9 per cent of our content just worked in HDR.
Can you post the link to the interview?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back