The PSVR launch thread

Did your breakout box update itself to 2.0 already?
Yeah Psvr 2.0

Btw anybody have any tips for doing Psvr Light calibration?

Sony give shitty explanation how to do it.

It says: lineup the LED with the outlines on the screen until it turned from red to white. Or something similar sounding.

In the reality, Psvr calibration app refuse to run the calibration despite all LED already lined up with the online and all of them already turned white.

If I shook my Psvr violently it will detect the position for a few secs. So it still fails the calibration (it need to read the LEDs for 10 seconds).

I guess, to complete the calibration, there is other hidden requirements that sony choose to hide. Why? Dunno.

This is sony. Their software is often baffling.

Calibration went without issues here.

Do you happen to have any other light sources in the camera's FoV? Or stuff like paintings with glass covers that reflect other lights?

Yeah Psvr 2.0

Btw anybody have any tips for doing Psvr Light calibration?

Sony give shitty explanation how to do it.

It says: lineup the LED with the outlines on the screen until it turned from red to white. Or something similar sounding.

In the reality, Psvr calibration app refuse to run the calibration despite all LED already lined up with the online and all of them already turned white.

If I shook my Psvr violently it will detect the position for a few secs. So it still fails the calibration (it need to read the LEDs for 10 seconds).

I guess, to complete the calibration, there is other hidden requirements that sony choose to hide. Why? Dunno.

This is sony. Their software is often baffling.
Don't shake it. I think the more difficult part is to hold it as perpendicular as possible toward the camera. Each reading requires you to position it perfectly in xyz space, and xyz orientation. The more perfect you position it, the more precise the tracking will be. If you struggle to keep it lighting up white, you're probably a bit off in either rotation or Z position.

If you can't finish the calibration, it will obviously not track correctly. I am guessing that would explain some of the reviewers having issues.

I was having some issues with screen shakes in Headmaster (great game btw, just did my second exam), and had read on GAF that restarting the PS4 sometimes helps. And sure enough it did, solid as a rock after that. That game is great fun, and very polished. I did have an issue where the save crashed after I went to 'my room' and couldn't keep playing as a result but today a patch was out already. The game is a nice combo of skill and puzzle, quite similar to angry birds in a way actually. Highly recommended. Writing/voice acting is pretty funny too.

Ok wow, of all the VR things you must try, anyone on Beyond3D should seek out Bound and play it in VR. MUST MUST MUST!

Also very smart camera system for third person ... Right analog stick moves you anywhere with the VR camera static. Left analog stick moves the camera back close to the avatar, but also 20 degrees in the direction you press. E.g. if you want to move camera position up or left, just press there and it will jump close to the avatar and 20 degrees in that direction. Works great! With this setup, I think any existing platformer would work fine (so long as you can get it to run in 60fps of course).

Last edited:
Don't shake it. I think the more difficult part is to hold it as perpendicular as possible toward the camera. Each reading requires you to position it perfectly in xyz space, and xyz orientation. The more perfect you position it, the more precise the tracking will be. If you struggle to keep it lighting up white, you're probably a bit off in either rotation or Z position.

If you can't finish the calibration, it will obviously not track correctly. I am guessing that would explain some of the reviewers having issues.

The problem is, I can easily make it white and keep it white. But PS won't start counting down.

But when PS start tracking it with the countdown, it always become red again in a few secs.

If it does indeed need to be in precise xyz position, Sony need to add better UI to explains that.

Because currently its super baffling. I already got the borders white. Why the heck it doesn't start the countdown.

Try demos first and the free stuff like Playroom VR, Alumette. Then get Bound or Rez, and then let whatever demo you liked most guide you to your next purchase ...

Calibration went without issues here.

Do you happen to have any other light sources in the camera's FoV?

Just This:

b782e9341442c933926c7e0ad7d2f3d7.jpg

Ok so I just tried Batman, first standing and it was a complete mess. I couldn't really get far enough away from it to be happy while calibrating (had to lean back) and tracking was horrible.

I then tried it sitting, and it was pretty much perfect, except that sitting on a couch I occasionally had some trouble picking something up on my side. But mostly it worked very well sitting. That means that I basically play every game sitting so far. Standing seems to bring me too close to the camera.

Because PS4 digital content is region locked.

No it's not.

The less you mess with the lenses, the less you risk scratching them.:runaway:

I saw they make single-use wet wipes designed for camera lenses, but I never used them.

Why don't you use them? I ask because that's what I'm using!!

Yes, those I did remove, although they can be hard to miss and accidentally leave at place first time you use it.

Weird - don't think I have them but I recall an unboxing where they were removed...

It's a remake with one new area, haven't yet got so far as to unlock it.
I don't mind it's the original as it feels very fresh in VR.

I'm constantly more in awe of the PSVR the more I play. The Playroom platforming game is genius, ther must be a R&C VR game in the works, it would work so well with similar style.
Sorry for off topic, but also makes me think if Nintendo were to make a Mario game in VR, it would be much like that. Maybe the Nintendo NX will be (also) a VR gaming machine, actually the more I think of it I'm almost sure it will also have a VR accessory where you can put the screen, and play with the detached contollers. The base unit would do teh rendering, just as the WiiU and Wiipad.

Exactly what I was thinking - imagine a Mario game like this!

The problem is, I can easily make it white and keep it white. But PS won't start counting down.

But when PS start tracking it with the countdown, it always become red again in a few secs.

If it does indeed need to be in precise xyz position, Sony need to add better UI to explains that.

Because currently its super baffling. I already got the borders white. Why the heck it doesn't start the countdown.

I've had no such calibration screens - no countdowns at all? The only confusion for me has been the Move setups - which seems to be, hold move and press at button - but it's not 100% clear.

Danganronpa VR and Harmonix Music VR demo are surprisingly fun! :D

Yeah, I really enjoyed the Harmonix Music thing - especially drawing in 3D space...can imagine sticking on some nightclub music and spending a while on that!

---------------------------

Overall for me I'm loving it, unfortunately I got a little sick feeling when playing Rigs & Battlezone but I'm hopeful it will wear off. I'm still making my way through the demos, Rush is awesome (not read much here about it so thought I would!). Also DC VR with a wheel - so great! Really liked the platformer and hope we see more like it. I also had a play on Mantis Burn racing via the PSVR and it was better than I expected - much like playing a on a projector really.

I really hope there is a future for VR gaming, it's really great - even the Mrs enjoyed her time with it (the shark thing and Harmonix)...to me this is the natural progression of gaming.

non native games (looks blurry and pixelated, atleast compared to text when i hold PS button)
Summer Lesson
Driveclub VR

Native (looks sharp and less pixelated, atleast compared to text when i hold PS button)
Rez
Until Dawn
Job Sim

it is region locked. Try

- use game from region 1, and DLC from region 2.
- buy region 2 digital content from region 1 account.

You said digital content - not DLC.

I can buy any content from any region and play on any account on my PS4.

I see you mention the language thing - I guess that's correct, you buy once on Xbox (apparently). Also, not quite sure how (with my UK account) I can buy stuff from other regions - I don't see how on the store.

I can see my confusion is from your use of 'region locked' - forever 'region locked' has meant a game from one region is locked to only play on hardware from that region.

Last edited:
Man I just played Thumper again - that game gets me every time with how awesome it looks. My son was completely mesmerized even watching the normal TV output. But in VR ... wow. And playing it there - just brings home that gameplay in VR is generally superb thanks to the extremely low lag.

Edit: that mid level 3 boss ... [emoji44]

Also watched some 2:35 : 1 or whatever on Netflix and that gives a really nice cinema feeling. I bet it beats a fair number of projectors ...

Man this thing makes me feel like I stepped into the future.

Last edited:
You said digital content - not DLC.

I can buy any content from any region and play on any account on my PS4.

I see you mention the language thing - I guess that's correct, you buy once on Xbox (apparently). Also, not quite sure how (with my UK account) I can buy stuff from other regions - I don't see how on the store.

I can see my confusion is from your use of 'region locked' - forever 'region locked' has meant a game from one region is locked to only play on hardware from that region.

I never said hardware region locked. I said digital region locked.

Even you can install and play Physical region 1 disc on region 2 account.

And the region lock is not just the DLC. It's for all digital content. Including full games.

That's why I said digital region lock.

I think you got confused with PS4 set as "primary". Because setting ps4 as primary ties your license to the hardware. Thus allowing you to play any digital games and any dlc from any regions.

PS hardware is not region locked.

Back