Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be gone, SvcHost.exe!

Outside of the initial upgrade and an instance of my Lenovo laptop getting way behind on patches and suffering some user profile corruption issue (might be related to a few ancient apps I installed, but who really knows) Windows 10 has been nothing but good for the five machines in the house running it.

Comptelrunner.exe is the one that keeps destroying my frame rate, eating my battery, and making everything feels soooooo slow.

I murdered it ages ago but every time there's an update that requires Windows to be restarted, Microsoft revive it again!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Eventually managed to get all of our PCs at work updated with the 'Anniversary' edition though I've been frustrated that it seems to have botched the localisation settings on most of them for some odd reason or other.

The upgrade flat out failed on one of the PCs after repeated attempts and it took all sorts of fun and games to fix the system - the boot sector somehow became corrupted and I ended up having to burn a DVD to successfully run the setup - memory stick installation just wouldn't work after Windows update repeatedly failed! Luckily, a clean install eventually fixed the problem and it wasn't too inconvenient when we finally got it done as most of our software on that PC was old stuff running in a virtual machine which was untouched.

I have left feedback for Cortana when prompted to do so - I questioned the stupidity of making installation of Cortana compulsory on a PC which didn't actually have a microphone!

I had my very first Windows 10 wipe-and-reload moment yesterday and it went flawlessly. It probably isn't what you're thinking though: this was the Anniversary build on my 950XL (phone for those who don't know) that somehow lost its marbles. Started the morning like many others: listening to the Skeptics Guide to the Universe podcast over bluetooth in my car. During my 45-minute commute I was interrupted by two phone calls and seven text messages (from five different senders, none of which were the same people calling me) which is radically out of the ordinary. Every time a text or phone call comes in, the BT interface has to "switch over" to the interactive voice activation piece rather than the simple A2DP audio stream. After the very last text message, my audio stream stopped streaming. I was 30 seconds from the company parking garage, so I figured it's been a week since I last rebooted, so a reboot was in order.

Got into the office, plugged in my continuum dock and headset, and my Gadgets device connection menu didn't pop up (W10 integrates a Gadget app, which monitors device connections and can be tailored to prompt you with a device-specific action menu.) Whatever, Continuum still worked, so I started my regular suite of apps -- Outlook, calendar, Edge, Pandora, Skype for Business and the messaging app. Despite gadgets not popping up, it all seemed to work.

I disconnected for lunch, ran to the nearby sandwich shop, and noticed the phone was no longer responsive to the power button. I did the long-press for 10 seconds to reset it, and began to wonder what was going wrong. It seemed OK until I got back to my car, at which point it would no longer recognize the BT connection. I deleted the connection (both in the car and in the phone) and tried to re-establish; it would attempt but never actually pair correctly. I started playing the podcast through my headphones, it stopped about five minutes in and then would not seek, would not play, and in fact the whole podcast app just stopped functioning .Other audio sources began to play but skip, and finally I gave up.

Hit the reset function from the system menu, phone wiped itself, reloaded, all my apps came back, my start menu layout never changed, my background art re-applied, all my text / MMS messages restored including inline photos, all my downloaded podcasts and offline maps and high scores in my games all persisted on the SD card and were re-linked to their constituent apps. Probably twenty minutes after I initiated the reset, the phone was back in 100% working order. I've been abusing it all of today, and it hasn't skipped a beat. I did have to re-enroll my RSA soft token with our InfoSec group today and had to re-enter my password to Gmail and my corporate email accounts -- although it maintained all the unique configurations for both of those accounts, just not the passwords.

I presume, at this point, it was a software failure which caused the meltdown. But the reset function worked as advertised, and perhaps even better than I had expected. I never had to link it to a PC for any of this to work, it was all OTA on my home wireless.

So, still pretty happy with Win10. Yeah, it went dork-mode on my phone for no apparent reason IMO, but the recovery was REALLY painless.

I have an interesting issue that occurred this morning. I did a clean install of Windows 10 on my wife's machine a couple months ago with no issues. This morning I updated her video card drivers and somehow Windows 7 loaded up after a restart.

I don't know how the hell this happened and it's left me bewildered, because when I did the fresh install, it was on a freshly formatted hard drive. It doesn't make any sense.

Is there Windows 7 installed on some other hard drive?

Oh lord, now that you mention it, I did hookup my wife's external hard drive via USB. I only thought that it housed pictures, but now you got me wondering. I'll have to go check, but man does this piss me off.

To add a bit a finality to the saga, I think her hard drive and/or master boot record got corrupted.

I'm chalking this up to "time for an upgrade" conversation and finally update her machine.

Is there Windows 7 installed on some other hard drive?

Yeah that was my first thought as well as I have had the same once or twice. I just added an SSD to my system with a fresh install of Windows and then left the old hard drive in there as is. Early on (maybe when I still had Windows 8) I've had once or twice that it spontaneously started booting up from the wrong drive. I just unplugged the old drive's sata, rebooted and then afterwards add the drive back in. But then 6 months later or so it would happen again. Hasn't happened since I got Windows 10 at least though as far as I know (which I got on day one).

Yeah that was my first thought as well as I have had the same once or twice. I just added an SSD to my system with a fresh install of Windows and then left the old hard drive in there as is. Early on (maybe when I still had Windows 8) I've had once or twice that it spontaneously started booting up from the wrong drive. I just unplugged the old drive's sata, rebooted and then afterwards add the drive back in. But then 6 months later or so it would happen again. Hasn't happened since I got Windows 10 at least though as far as I know (which I got on day one).
My wife's PC was doing something similar too. Super weird.

I wonder if this is the reason for a similar issue that my main rig exhibits sometimes. I have an SSD as a boot drive and a 2TB HDD for bulk storage. As far as I can remember, it began to occur after I migrated to my first SSD (I was already on Win 8). Before that, with an WD Raptor HDD as a boot drive I never had this bug -- all on the same mobo.

Last edited:
I think.... I think.... probably... the Oct 18 update fixed my USB 3.0 HUB! So now all of the ports on my PC are functional! Suddenly I felt my PC run 10x better! :D
Btw, yes, my PC do run better, but it is probably because I just upgraded my PC to 16GB of RAM from the 8GB before. Since I use APU, only 5.9GB was usable previously (2GB for VRAM). Just in time to anticipate the higher RAM usage with the svchost thing being dropped. Right now my RAM usage is around 7GB, so obviously 5.9GB is not enough. The biggest offender probably the gazillion tabs I opened in chrome.....
Also I was rather surprised to find out when I changed my mainboard that I didn't have to reactivate Windows 10!

on "settings" and "activation"

what it sai
Also I was rather surprised to find out when I changed my mainboard that I didn't have to reactivate Windows 10!
ys about your activation?

is it "license tied to your MS account" or "Hardware upgrade blahblah license" ?

Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account.
Since this is from Win8 to win10, I suppose it became digital license.

I setup a beta test of my ReadTheIngredients UWP/UAP using the HockeyApp beta system. Seems like a decent setup for betas. If you are interested, PM me an email address to send the invite to.

Looking for a bit of advice, has anyone got a clear understanding of how Win 10's permission work with respect to reactivation and account association?

My little brother has 2 potential issues.

1) His PC hard drive died the other day. PC was Win 7 upgraded to Windows 10, but he never set up a windows account and only ever used his previous(offline) windows login. When he gets a new hard drive does he reinstall Win7 (from CD) and wait for the upgrade again or can he do a fresh install of Win 10 from USB but authenticate it with his Win 7 key?

2) This is the more involved situation, the simplified version is thus: He has his mate's PC, which his mate no longer needs and wants to sell to my brother. This PC was built with Win 8 (retail CD not OEM) upgraded to Win 10 and is associated with his mates Windows account. Now his friend has lost the original CD and my brother wants to do a fresh install on the PC. Is there any way to transfer the ownership of Windows from one live account to another? Or is there any way to rebuild the PC without the original CD/ authentication code and remove the windows id from his mates account? Would his mate have had the authentication ID emailed to him once the system was upgraded to Win 10?

I have to admit I find the whole authentication process since Windows 8 baffling, even more so when you add in all the gray areas that aren't officially supported but seem to work.

Any advice welcome :)

Looking for a bit of advice, has anyone got a clear understanding of how Win 10's permission work with respect to reactivation and account association?

My little brother has 2 potential issues.

1) His PC hard drive died the other day. PC was Win 7 upgraded to Windows 10, but he never set up a windows account and only ever used his previous(offline) windows login. When he gets a new hard drive does he reinstall Win7 (from CD) and wait for the upgrade again or can he do a fresh install of Win 10 from USB but authenticate it with his Win 7 key?

2) This is the more involved situation, the simplified version is thus: He has his mate's PC, which his mate no longer needs and wants to sell to my brother. This PC was built with Win 8 (retail CD not OEM) upgraded to Win 10 and is associated with his mates Windows account. Now his friend has lost the original CD and my brother wants to do a fresh install on the PC. Is there any way to transfer the ownership of Windows from one live account to another? Or is there any way to rebuild the PC without the original CD/ authentication code and remove the windows id from his mates account? Would his mate have had the authentication ID emailed to him once the system was upgraded to Win 10?

I have to admit I find the whole authentication process since Windows 8 baffling, even more so when you add in all the gray areas that aren't officially supported but seem to work.

Any advice welcome :)
1) reply to 2

2) afaik, from Windows 10 on -maybe 8 worked that way too-, as long as your little brother uses the same computer in both cases -buying it or reinstalling in his previos PC-, AND if he has an ISO from where to perform a clean installation, he is going to have the same license for that PC, so he should be fine.

-New Windows 10 update, spring of 2017
-Focused on 3D
-Paint3D confirmed
- 3D printing
- PowerPoint 3D
-Microsoft Edge 3D
All of this for Hololens , of course
HP, Dell, Lenovo, Asus and Acer are going to start offering new VR glasses compatible with W10 starting at 300€
Cvs9fFzWcAEO_bV.jpg

-Surface Book is now more powerful, with a faster processor, 30% more battery and 2x graphics performance
-Surface Book i7 will get 16 hour battery life.
-Surface Book i7 is coming in November, pre-order opens Oct 26 for $2,399.

-Nuevo producto: Surface Studio
an all-in-one computer- 28-inch display, quad-core i7 processor, Nvidia GTX 980M...63% more pixels than a 4K TV
Pre-orders for Surface Studio start today. It starts at $3,000

28-inch PixelSense display, a 3:2 aspect ratio and a resolution of 4,500 x 3,000 (192 PPI).

Intel Core i7 processor and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 980M portable GPU

Surface Book is now more powerful, with a faster processor, 30% more battery and 2x graphics performance

The dGPU in the Book's keyboard is now a GTX 965M, a full GM206.
Weird that they didn't go with GP107 or Polaris 11

Both the new Book and Studio are using old 28nm GPUs. This is certainly odd considering they're both premium devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back