Post Xbox One Two Scorpio, what should Sony do next? *spawn* (oh, and Nintendo?)

It's a general thread about Scorpio in the sub-forum Console Industry. Discussing price is legitimate imo.

This is the thread that exists for this purpose. Your 2 posts have been moved here to the proper discussion.

With Scorpio a year away and a confirmed spec of 6TFLOPS on the GPU which is ~4x the gpu power of the current One, this is a good 4:1 match to the jump from 1080p to 4k, whereas the PS4 Originals higher specs of 1.84TF would need something on the order of 8TF's to provide uncompressed 4K graphics. Obviously PS5 will output native uncompressed 4k games but MS have a great angle to attack the PS4 pro on it's 'reconstructed' 4k output even if the checkerboard technique produces comparable results to native 4k.

Do you know that both Halo 5 and Gears of War 4 use some kind of dynamic resolution and render at 1080pr?

By your logic (4x more flops), those Scorpio titles will continue to use the same dynamic res, like maybe from 1440p to 4K. Hence not native 4K.

You can't ironically compare proven facts (4 Pro tech & games) with marketing promises.

I don't think that makes sense, no. 16 doesn't suddenly become more than 4 greater than 12 because 16 is 8 X 2 while 12 is only 4 X 3.

The only advantage I see is relatively easy port work for devs who choose to just take their existing XBOne game and scale 4X to get the Scorpio version.

That's exactly what I meant. Whereas existing One games should be an easy port from 1080P (assuming they run at 1080p), Sony customers will have to wait till PS5 to get unrestricted 4K.

It's all relative as Mr Einstein once said.

4x the FLOP performance. But with many 3rdparty Xbox One games running at 1600x900, multiplying it by 4 equals 3200x1800. That is 1800p shy of 2180p (aka 4K).
I would look more towards the Scorpio achieving a certain spec on this particular Southernisland/Polaris/Vega hybrid architecture rather than the relative difference between XO and Scorpio.

That's exactly what I meant. Whereas existing One games should be an easy port from 1080P (assuming they run at 1080p), Sony customers will have to wait till PS5 to get unrestricted 4K.

It's all relative as Mr Einstein once said.
Putting it another way, MS customers have to wait until Scorpio before getting true 1080p res...

Putting it another way, MS customers have to wait until Scorpio before getting true 1080p res...

Lol that meta. But very true.

Though the idea of straight multiplying out FLOPS to performance is probably not accurate.

XBO also only has 16 ROPS, esram, DDR3. Etc. List goes on.

I don't think with Scorpio they are going to drop the ball on proper design, and just increase the FLOPS if they are aiming for 4K native. The whole pipeline needs to be improved everywhere.

Could explain why with 3rd party games a lot of lower than 1080p. Multi platform games are designed to run on a variety of hardware and XBO can really be anemic in some areas.

Last edited:
agree with you there.
is it simply less flops when it doesn't reach 1080p and ps4 does.
how much if any will the efficiency in newer gpu make.
I've not really thought about it until now as as far as I was concerned 1080p -> 4k is what I'm expecting, but would there be enough changes to possibly do 900p -> 4k, how much more grunt would that take?

I think it's pretty much a given 1080-4k, until given other reasons to believe differently

Okay, change it to XBox console customers. This is a bit silly. What exactly is the purpose of this thread? If just a comment on marketing... :confused: We've already got talk about 'uncompressed pixels' versus 4K native rendering, XB1 versus 4Pro, in various threads.

This isn't really the biggest advantage in my mind. The big advantage is that Microsoft is putting out a console (Scoprio) that will be able to take over the base target spec one day and maintain forward compatibility. I really don't see that happening with PS4 Pro unless the developers do a lot of magic/hold back PS5 games.

I think if you buy a Scoprio you are going to be good for at least 7 years (probably 1-2 more years where Xbox One is still base target spec and at least 4-5 where Scoprio is base target spec).

With PS4 Pro who knows...it could be as few as 3-4 depending on when PS5 drops.

Last edited:
With PS4 Pro who knows...it could be as few as 3-4 depending on when PS5 drops.

3-4 years from now 7nm, next gen memory(hbm2 cheap enough for ~16GB?), possibly new cpu and gpu architectures etc. are available. To me that would be perfect time to do yet another hw bump be it continuation of current generation or even starting a new generation of consoles. Being optimistic perhaps even ssd or intel xpoint like technology could be available to allow for improvements on storage access speeds.

My expectation is that whenever there is a chance to ~double the compute power with same power envelope&price there is good incentive for console manfacturer to consider/do upgrade. This allows to keep the higher price point for upgraded model and to drop price, size and power requirement of older hw.

Last edited:
3-4 years from now 7nm, next gen memory(hbm2 cheap enough for ~16GB?), possibly new cpu and gpu architectures etc. are available. To me that would be perfect time to do yet another hw bump be it continuation of current generation or even starting a new generation of consoles. Being optimistic perhaps even ssd or intel xpoint like technology could be available to allow for improvements on storage access speeds.

My expectation is that whenever there is a chance to ~double the compute power with same power envelope&price there is good incentive for console manfacturer to consider/do upgrade. This allows to keep the higher price point for upgraded model and to drop price, size and power requirement of older hw.

My point was that Scorpio is being built with forward compatibility in mind where as PS4 Pro is not.

The point is that Sony may have shot themselves in the foot with the Pro.
Why? Products sell based on perceived value and marketing. If 4Pro is a good enough product at a good enough price and is well marketed, it could do well. You're saying the 'angle of attack' for MS is to poke holes into 4Pro's 4K rendering. Well if it looks good on screen, Joe Gamer won't care, especially if more affordable or having value elsewhere. MS certainly haven't got a easy, unassailable victory and PS4Pro certainly isn't dead thanks to Scorpio's paper specs. Also moving this to the existing 'what should Sony do next' thread (where this point has already been raised, I believe ;)).

This thread is going round and round in circles. It's like watching a bunch of goldfish who have forgotten they've argued this over and over.. :rolleyes:

My point was that Scorpio is being built with forward compatibility in mind where as PS4 Pro is not.

I don't understand what you mean by this. Maybe you can give more details why ps4 pro is (significantly)less forward compatible and why those differences spell doom for sony? There already is ps4 and ps4 pro showing sony can significantly improve performance while still keeping it (mostly) compatible. Why cannot sony do that again if and when ps4 pro was possible?

Last edited:
I don't understand what you mean by this. Maybe you can give more details why ps4 pro is (significantly)less forward compatible and why those differences spell doom for sony? There already is ps4 and ps4 pro showing sony can significantly improve performance while still keeping it (mostly) compatible. Why cannot sony do that again if and when ps4 pro was possible?

We suspect (not proven) because its called 4Pro, that when PS5 comes out, the 4Pro will not be able to play PS5 games. As in the expectation is that 5 will be a new generation. Though we expect ps5 can play games backwards compatible though.

Back