Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

So this means we'll have to be pretty careful with the lenses, because they aren't easily replaceable. Otherwise, the unit seems to be very nicely put together!

iFixit have their teardown up: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation+VR+Teardown/69341

On the OLED RGB display:

And on the right is PS VR's AMOLED display featuring a hexagonal subpixel matrix, consistent with other Samsung-made OLED displays found in their flagship smartphones.And because we know you can't see those subpixels we've included a magnified view of the OLED panel.
Although there is only an 18% increase in pixel density, the pixels on the headset display seem tiny due to its unique subpixel matrix

NBtsXw1UmMlrtUrX.standard

On the lenses:

These are 14 mm thick conventional lenses, with no Fresnel stepping, and a smooth dome shape. That means the lenses are quite a bit thicker than the Fresnel lenses in the Vive and the hybrid Fresnel lenses of the Rift.

5QRKDdF1iVCNdVW1.standard

They can be scratched. I got some tiny scratches from my glasses touching the lenses (don't notice them while gaming fortunately). So if you have glasses be a bit careful.

They can be scratched. I got some tiny scratches from my glasses touching the lenses (don't notice them while gaming fortunately). So if you have glasses be a bit careful.

ah... i already got my glasses touching it repeatedly :(

i wonder, can i train my eyes by playing without glasses (the muscles should be working hard to bend the lenses to focus right?)

Finally success calibrating the LED !!!!!

the trick is

---> PSVR must stay in the same tilt and in the same distance

this sounds weird but... i use my nipples to make sure it keep "lined up". and then stick the PSVR to my chest, stabilizing it.

the trick is

this sounds weird but... i use my nipples to make sure it keep "lined up". and then stick the PSVR to my chest, stabilizing it.
That doesn't sound weird at all. I welcome our future of nipple based calibration. [emoji15]

Reactions: scf

the trick is

I'll try using a tripod, must find a way to attach it.

I actually spent almost no time on calibration ...

I wonder if there's actually a bunch of Psvr with factory defect?

I think giant bomb also have a hard time calibrating the LED.

So, fellow B3Ders, do the calibration. Report your result.

Something like : headset drifts, calibration hard to complete.

Or

Headset works fine, calibration easy to complete.

I do know that sometimes my headset becomes unstable, and then I need to restart the PS4 (something with the camera stream becoming laggy or something like that).

Some of the issues are always a factor - the Move depth tracking is a weakness in particular, but it is really only a problem when you are not using it (holding it still). Otherwise it works just fine.

If you do calibrate, I hear PS Camera only uses the left camera for tracking the headset and you should focus on that one when calibrating.

Full power cycle also can help. That has typically solved most of my issues.

i don't remember calibrating the LEDS, i just had to stand there in the field of view of the PS camera, nothing more. Where do you calibrate LEDS ? did not find anything in the menus.
PSVR seems to work fine.
Only thing i noticed is in driveclub, the view is not ultra stable in the car's cockpit when the car is not moving, there's always a slight movement even if i stand still, like if i was some kind of drunk.
does not happen outside the car.

i don't remember calibrating the LEDS, i just had to stand there in the field of view of the PS camera, nothing more. Where do you calibrate LEDS ? did not find anything in the menus.
PSVR seems to work fine.
Only thing i noticed is in driveclub, the view is not ultra stable in the car's cockpit when the car is not moving, there's always a slight movement even if i stand still, like if i was some kind of drunk.

Haven't seen that option either. My impressions:

- The max 3 meters from the camera is annoying. I refuse to shuffle around my furniture, so I put the camera on the side table. Maybe the PS VR has been developed with Japanese livingrooms in mind ? It also applies to the headset cabling. Just fits.
- Headset sharpness is the same as a projector, not very sharp, but sufficient.
- Bluriness when you watch fast moving objects (e.g Rigs)
- Batman Arkham is the best game for me. Specially because they use the move controllers.
- Driveclub VR is sick in VR. You play one second and you realize racing games will never be the same.
- Loving the attention for detail in EVE and Rigs. You select a female character and yes when you look down (as a male) they are there ;-)

PSVR seems to work fine.
Haven't seen that option either.
Settings > Devices > Playstation VR > Adjust Tracking Lights

Mine is rock solid, I did the calibration multiple times, and it was locking easily. The first time I had trouble finding the orientation, it was very sensitive. I might have rebooted after the 2.0 update, I don't remember.

For the record, my setup have very low intensity lighting, a projector lens in the field of view, no direct sunlight, camera at 6ft distance and 3ft from the floor, pointing perfectly level. I only play sitting. Camera framing as recommended in the "headset position" part of the calibration.

They should give a trophy for doing the calibration without any retries. It's like a mini game. :runaway:

Last edited:
I also find that sitting works best. Standing I seem to be too close to the camera.

Back