John Carmack on VR development: "We are coasting on novelty"

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
None that I play. I think the problem is with locomotion and human input, which cockpit sims pretty much have solved already.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-10-10-john-carmack-says-vr-is-coasting-on-novelty

I tend to agree. Not many VR games seem to be made to play for longer than what a technical experience would provide.

Take away space and racing sims, and what VR games are out there (or in development) to deliver a "full game" experience?
Honest question.

Well you have dragon front which is a ccg come to life. You have edge of no where and chronos and even feral rites. With touch it looks like we will get a few more games oh and mine craft.

Resident Evil 7 will be fully playable in VR too. We will get good stuff for sure. There are already a bunch of titles showing where VR makes a big difference ...

It's a shame that resolution is where it is, as one generation I'd love to be VR by default is strategy games. I know there's a few examples, like Airmech VR.

I'd love for Civ6, City Skylines or Planet Coasters to in VR.

It's a shame that resolution is where it is, as one generation I'd love to be VR by default is strategy games. I know there's a few examples, like Airmech VR.

I'd love for Civ6, City Skylines or Planet Coasters to in VR.
Never thought of that, any articles/reviews of people using VR for that kind of games ?

Never thought of that, any articles/reviews of people using VR for that kind of games ?
I've used big screen to play Civ5 but the text is way to small.

I don't think larger resolutions is going to fix right away. Games need to be designed with VR in mind and text needs to be blown up. Even on a Note 5 screen text is way to small

I suspect that much like FPSs, those sorts of overheard tabletop/RTS style games will require a lot more fiddling than one might initially think to work comfortably in VR for long sessions. Everything from orientation of the landscape/board to neck and arm fatigue become non trivial UI design elements to deal with. With a monitor you have your game map at an arbitrary angle (overheard, 3/4, isometric, etc) but always comfortably at eye-level and completely natural feeling. In VR however, having a large map in front of you at a tilted angle like that can actually produce vertigo as your main focus and point of spatial reference is an uncomfortably steep surface. Conversely, if the map is oriented on the same plane as your floor/desk, you may run into the issue of constantly wanting to bend your body/head/neck downward in order to hover over the game board - not a very comfortable position to maintain for long sessions. Undoubtedly these games will get made for VR, but I'm quite sure at this point that it's going to require a significant re-engineering of how the UI (and possibly gameplay) works in a way that's totally bespoke for VR.

Back