Oculus Connect 3

eastmen

Legend
Supporter
Today was the keynote.

So touch is coming out Dec 6th its $200 with 1 camera. Another camera can be purchased for $79. 2 cameras is enough for 360 gaming , 3 is recommended for room scale. IT will ship with Medium , unspoken and sports challenge

They showed off a inside out tracking system prototype

http://uploadvr.com/hands-santa-cruz-inside-out/

it requires no external tracking at all but includes positional tracking. So you will be able to move in the game world. unlike gear vr and daydream.

Oculus Announced Asynchronous Sapcewarp. With Nvidia and AMD's latest driver optimisations they are reducing the minimum spec to an i3 6100 and a gtx 960. Also the FX 4350 and up are now supported.

Asynchronous space warp is basicly a positional ATW

Last edited:
in the "gameplay" videos (including arktika video) i keep seeing "jitters" in oculus touch tracking. i wonder why.

in the "gameplay" videos (including arktika video) i keep seeing "jitters" in oculus touch tracking. i wonder why.

I don't get jitters with touch when two cameras are in front of me. If I put one camera in each diagonal corners from each other I will get jitters. Your body will block the controller sometimes from view. That is why they want 3 for room scale. Fine motions break down

http://radeon.com/en-us/cyberpowerpc-vr-ready/?sf38080955=1

$500 rift PC . RX 470 graphics and an AMD FX™ 4350 processor.

$699 rift PC It boasts our Radeon™ RX 480 graphics card, quad-core Intel Core-i5 CPU, 8GB of RAM, a 1TB hard drive, a DVD-RW optical drive, Windows 10, a WiFi USB adapter, keyboard and mouse, and a striking black tower with accented red lighting

The playstation 4 + VR is $800 if you buying from the ground up. PS4 Pro is $900. For $1,100 you can get the first bundle with a rift. For $1,300 you an get the second bundle which is much faster. The price factor is getting smaller and smaller at this point

Basically it buffers 2 previous frames and try to synthesize a new frame from them according to current head movement if the computer is not rendering fast enough @ 90Hz.

Having to pay another $79 for a 3rd camera to have a usable roomscale solution is a joke (oh and use another usb connector on your PC.. Valve truly did it right with the light houses

two camera's with touch is as good as two light houses on the vive. I own a vive and you get wobble with just 2 of the light houses. I'm waiting on the option of a third.

I will agree the price is too high and they should have just put 2 cameras in the box from the start

Touch Battery life With Haptics 20 hours without 30.

Not bad at all Its double A batteries so enloops here I go

two camera's with touch is as good as two light houses on the vive.

IIRC, the Vive's light houses use sweeping lasers on a 120º "fov". Oculus' 3 camera limitation seems to be because the cameras' fovs and resolutions are rather low.
Which is stupid, IMHO.

Regardless, I doubt two cameras on oculus are the same as two lighthouses. The lighthouses reportedly had a 0.3mm error on a 15m*15m room, IIRC.

IIRC, the Vive's light houses use sweeping lasers on a 120º "fov". Oculus' 3 camera limitation seems to be because the cameras' fovs and resolutions are rather low.
Which is stupid, IMHO.

Regardless, I doubt two cameras on oculus are the same as two lighthouses. The lighthouses reportedly had a 0.3mm error on a 15m*15m room, IIRC.

Your right that the maximum range for Touch will be smaller than light house. I am talking in a typical 8x8 space it will be largely the same.

The lighthouses introduce their own wobble which I believe will be fixed in a new model of them.

Oculus says 1 camera for seated , 2 in front for 180 degree , 2 in opposite corners for 360 degree and 3 for room scale.

I've used 2 cameras to play games like fantasic contraption with touch and it works in a 8x8 room as well as the vive.

Between the 3 free games and the awesome looking Robo Recall which is also free, it looks like I'm not going to have to buy any games for about the couple of years! (I already have a backlog that includes The Witcher 3, Assassins Creed Syndicate, Tomb Raider, Eve Valkyre and Farcry Primal).

Really can't wait for Touch!

I worry about the future of any of these multiplayer focused PC VR titles. So far it feels like the community is too small and play sessions too short to keep the games alive after the initial release buzz. You join to play something, find no one else is playing, and then you jack out of VR.

I think multiplayer VR content desperately needs some sort of service-wide shared lobby/hub so that people can be given a better opportunity to cross paths with other players. Perhaps within that hub you could provide a combination of basic games, creative tools, and traditional media to keep people engaged while they wait for game servers to queue up, and/or hang out after they've played something. Some sort of combination of Bigscreen, Rec Room, and Tilt Brush/Medium, albeit built into the Oculus Home or SteamVR launch environment.

Very good point. Has anyone ever done stats analysis to know minimum population you need to be able to realistically maintain online games of a certain size?

Back