Nvidia Pascal Announcement

From WCCFTech: "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Performance and Specifications Leaked – Performs Similar To A GTX 960, No Power Connector Required."

WCCFTech said:
The performance of the card was tested in 3DMark 11. This is a synthetic benchmark but shows us a good comparison versus its Maxwell based predecessors. The GeForce GTX 1050 Ti scores 10,054 points in the performance preset and 3,867 points in the extreme preset. We aren’t looking at any CPU side bottlenecks since the tester used a Core i7-6700K processor. Now we cannot conclude final performance based on these numbers since there are still several weeks before these cards are launched. Also to note is that the drivers need to be optimized for GPUs to showcase their maximum potential.

For comparison, we will be using the average numbers scored by GTX 950 and GTX 960 cards. In 3DMark 11 Extreme preset, the GTX 950 scores around 2800 points while the GTX 960 scores around 3300 points. These are based on numbers from factory overclocked variants. Similarly, in performance preset, the GTX 950 scores 9000 points while the GTX 960 scores 10,000 points.
If those numbers reflect gaming performance then that's about where I expected the 1050 Ti to end up.

From WCCFTech: "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Performance and Specifications Leaked – Performs Similar To A GTX 960, No Power Connector Required."

If those numbers reflect gaming performance then that's about where I expected the 1050 Ti to end up.

Yep..that was pretty much expected. A 768 SP part with a 30% clock boost is obviously going to be close to the old 1024 SP part. And it reduces power from about 120W to 75W. GP107 is going to be a great mobile chip.

Yep..that was pretty much expected. A 768 SP part with a 30% clock boost is obviously going to be close to the old 1024 SP part. And it reduces power from about 120W to 75W. GP107 is going to be a great mobile chip.

Based on the relatively modest clocks for the 1050 Ti (for Pascal), I'm wondering if we'll see factory overclocked versions with 6-pin power connectors that add an "easy" 5-10% performance by only getting clocks up to Pascal standards. It looks like Nvidia cranked the clocks as high as possible while staying at/under 75W, but I figure it wouldn't be terribly difficult to go higher if you're no longer limited to 75W.

GP107 Die

3333_zpsw1uemc7u.png

2222_zpsg0vq26f3.png

1111_zpsl4xuzwp8.png

Might be a custom board or ES, not sure. I trust the leaked specs I saw, and they don't mention 6-pin (for reference cards anyway).

Still a 6-pin? Not good.
There's got to be at least one SKU that is at/under 75W. GM107 was way too popular for Nvidia to miss that segment.

I think the more interesting topic of speculation is whether all stock GP107 cards will be at/under 75W as some rumors suggest or if we'll see one at like 90W that gets to "let loose" and eek out all of the performance available. There's such a gap between the 460 and 470 that such a 90ishW GP107 part would probably go unchecked and be successful for Nvidia.

Looks wider than the GDDR5 chip (12x14mm). So it could be a fake based on GM107 or GP107 is just really big (~160mm²) - low transistor density on 14nm or packed something more in (>6SMs, Test-CVA for devs - GK208-style).

There's got to be at least one SKU that is at/under 75W. GM107 was way too popular for Nvidia to miss that segment.

I think the more interesting topic of speculation is whether all stock GP107 cards will be at/under 75W as some rumors suggest or if we'll see one at like 90W that gets to "let loose" and eek out all of the performance available. There's such a gap between the 460 and 470 that such a 90ishW GP107 part would probably go unchecked and be successful for Nvidia.

Yep there will definitely be some cards under 75W. It's the same as we saw with RX460. As you say that segment is very important for Nvidia and they even released a sub 75W GTX 950 to cater to it.
Looks wider than the GDDR5 chip (12x14mm). So it could be a fake based on GM107 or GP107 is just really big (~160mm²) - low transistor density on 14nm or packed something more in (>6SMs, Test-CVA for devs - GK208-style).

Looks about the same or slightly smaller to me actually. With a quick look in paint I get a rough estimate of ~80% of the size of the GDDR5 chip or ~135mm2.
It's supposed to be 16, not 14nm

AnarchX is right. It is on 14nm.

I would't say ditched but yes they have switched from TSMC. It's been reported in the press and also on this thread a few times.
Being part of the press I can only remember Samsung being confirmed to supply NVIDIA some chips, not any specifics, and personally I'd expect them to be Tegras rather than GP-anything. There was one Korean report about them being specifically GPUs, but without any actual sources, so I wouldn't count on it before some confirmation.

Well this thing will kick the bootay of RX460.

On another note, it's crazy the demand for these cards. The 1070 is still marked up and low on stock at Newegg.

Microcenter has more realistic pricing for both 1070's & 1080's ... somewhat usual since they are about $10 - $20 more.

you know they cant make many cards atm the supply is strained.
not selling much actually.

Apparently they weren't as supply strained as others though they are selling quite well, steam numbers show the same general trend as what the 970 had.

Being part of the press I can only remember Samsung being confirmed to supply NVIDIA some chips, not any specifics, and personally I'd expect them to be Tegras rather than GP-anything. There was one Korean report about them being specifically GPUs, but without any actual sources, so I wouldn't count on it before some confirmation.

I cant give you a public source that confirms it but I can tell you that they are on 14nm. They aren't Tegras..all Tegras upto Xavier are still on TSMC.
Well this thing will kick the bootay of RX460.

On another note, it's crazy the demand for these cards. The 1070 is still marked up and low on stock at Newegg.
It will definitely give RX460 some good competition and AMD will have to release the full 16CU Polaris 11 to compete.

Back