Real-time soft shadows project with OpenGL source

Mark0

Newcomer
From a link on the OpenGL.org page:
http://www.ce.chalmers.se/staff/tomasm/soft/

Our goal:
This is pretty obvious: soft shadow rendering in real time, with arbitrary shadow casters and arbitrary shadow receivers.
Or as Gollum so elegantly put it in the movie "The Two Towers": Soft and quick as shadows, we must be.
Normal/hard shadow
opengl_demo_4b_small.jpg

Soft shadow
opengl_demo_4a_small.jpg

Source available, along with two separated binary/compiled version: one for ATI, and one for nVidia.

At this time, the ATI version is significantly faster than the NVIDIA version.
Looking at the source, you could see how things are done in a slightly different way! ;)

Bye!

Hmm...the executable crashes when I try to use it. (WinXP,ATI9800Pro, Cat. 3.10, and yes, I downloaded the right version! :) )

Snyder said:
Hmm...the executable crashes when I try to use it. (WinXP,ATI9800Pro, Cat. 3.10, and yes, I downloaded the right version! :) )

open it with "right mouse button/open" instead of a double-click

tEd said:
Snyder said:

open it with "right mouse button/open" instead of a double-click

Nope, doesn't work. The last thing the debug console window says is
"Creating v-buffer render target".

I'm on XP, 9800 non-pro, Cat 3.10, and it's working for me.

Are there any settings to change the resolutions? No readme with the binaries...

Joe DeFuria said:
I'm on XP, 9800 non-pro, Cat 3.10, and it's working for me.

Are there any settings to change the resolutions? No readme with the binaries...

you can load a different map and change mouse invert with f1

tEd said:
you can load a different map and change mouse invert with f1

Yeah, I found that...but it'd be nice to be able to change the resolution or at least have a full-screen option.

Ah, well, beggars can't be choosers. ;)

Running a P4 2.2/512MB RAM/Radeon 9500 Pro w/cat 3.10 suite under WinXP Pro and the ati soft shadows 2.0 bin zip crashes on me when i double click on the game.exe files with a microsoft error report...ideas? Right click doesn't work either...i mean for an opening solution that is. Anyone know whats going on/know the solution to this/having the same probs? :?

NeoCool said:
Anyone know whats going on/know the solution to this/having the same probs? :?

I'm having the same problem here.
Running a P4 3.0/512MB RAM/Radeon 9600 Pro Cat 3.10 suite under Windows XP Pro

well...downloaded and installed version 4.1 of catalyst drivers and that didnt help the problem...anyone know what's wrong?

I think i found what is wrong,I installed Cat 4.1 and it worked out, then after a lil time it wasn't working anymore, so i realized the only thing i changed was enabling triple buffering.

Try to disable it, it works for me.

hey, that worked! in the opengl compatibility settings, i disabled triple buffering and I got the demo to work! thanks a lot man! :D

Back