Is pushing console games to double the frame rate on PC always feasible?

SeeNoWeevil

Newcomer
What with the release of FH3 on PC, a game that exhibits many problems when pushed to 60fps on high end systems. Are there elements of the consoles that can be heavily used that just can't be pushed to twice the speed on high end PCs? Maybe around asset streaming?

FH3 on PC has multithreading issues that limit it from hitting 60+ fps on PC. In terms of GPU power it's more than possible to hit 60 in most setups. I'd say the only limit right now is time and money spent on the PC port of the game/engine.

FH3 is having optimization problems that's all, It is not using CPU cores effectively which makes the game CPU bound, in contrary to other effective releases such as Quantum Break and Gears Of War 1 which managed to double and triple frame rates at higher quality graphics quite easily. Asset streaming can be pushed to twice speeds by using SSDs or faster HDDs, or by piling assets in the huge capacity of VRAM that high end GPUs often have.

FH3 is having optimization problems that's all, It is not using CPU cores effectively which makes the game CPU bound, in contrary to other effective releases such as Quantum Break and Gears Of War 1 which managed to double and triple frame rates at higher quality graphics quite easily. Asset streaming can be pushed to twice speeds by using SSDs or faster HDDs, or by piling assets in the huge capacity of VRAM that high end GPUs often have.
I never hit near 100% cpu usage on a 4790K, but large frame drops still occur. Even dropping to 1024x768 and lowest settings does little to prevent them. I don't think I've ever seen a game perform in such an odd way.

Back