Gaming Services - Steam, Origin, Xbox

As somebody just getting back into PC gaming now that I've got the hardware to do it, can somebody be kind enough to give me a nice little FAQ about what I will need and how to go about actually getting and playing the games I want?

I've got Steam and have been playing Civ V, and I'm sure that'll be fine when Civ VI launches next month as well. But for Battlefield 1, is it true I'll need to install an EA Origin client? If so, will that Origin account use the same username and password that I use on XB1 for EA Access or is it totally separate? (Same question with Ubisoft and uPlay, I guess?)

For Gears 4, I'll need to buy it through Xbox in order to get crossbuy/crossplay, but is it even possible to buy it through Steam?

Finally, where are all these great PC deals I always heard about on the console forums about why digital only games for consoles were so overpriced? I've looked at a couple of games that I've already played on XB1 (and 360 as a matter of fact), just to see if they look noticeably better with the new hardware and Borderlands is still $19.99 and GTA V is still $59.99 (both on Steam). Is there someway to get notified of deals or sales, am I just "doing it wrong"?

Thanks

But for Battlefield 1, is it true I'll need to install an EA Origin client? If so, will that Origin account use the same username and password that I use on XB1 for EA Access or is it totally separate? (Same question with Ubisoft and uPlay, I guess?)

Yes.

Should be the same account logins as well.

For Gears 4, I'll need to buy it through Xbox in order to get crossbuy/crossplay, but is it even possible to buy it through Steam?

Digital purchase for crossbuy i.e. purchasing physical for Xbox obviously doesn't give you PC version.

WinStore on PC only (for the moment at least - hard to say).

Finally, where are all these great PC deals I always heard about on the console forums about why digital only games for consoles were so overpriced? I've looked at a couple of games that I've already played on XB1 (and 360 as a matter of fact), just to see if they look noticeably better with the new hardware and Borderlands is still $19.99 and GTA V is still $59.99 (both on Steam). Is there someway to get notified of deals or sales, am I just "doing it wrong"?

Steam sales? Keep a wishlist.

Steam sales? Keep a wishlist.

In addition to that keep an eye on the Humble Bundle site as well. They also do sales of games that are in the Steam store at roughly the same discounts.

And that's besides the weekly/monthly Humble Bundles where you pay whatever you want to pay for what is in the bundles. Have gotten some great deals through that on games I otherwise wouldn't have bothered to get.

Regards,
SB

Is there someway to get notified of deals or sales, am I just "doing it wrong"?

www.isthereanydeal.com

Search for the game and it'll tell you the current price on several e-stores, as well as the minimum price it was ever sold at (sales included). The minimum price will be a good indicator for how much the game will cost during the next sale.
You can also register in the website and request e-mail notifications for sales on specific games.

There are so many stores nowadays, that almost all high-profile PC titles are constantly on sale in one store or another.
Don't buy anything at Steam's non-discounted prices. Even if it's a game that just got released and you're eager to get it, stores like www.greenmangaming.com usually have site-wide discount coupons of 10% and up.

I don't think I ever paid full price for a PC game. Not during the last 5-6 years, at least.

I'll pay full price on certain titles if I really want to reward the developer. Especially indie developers without a publisher as I know all the money (minus the Store cut) is going to the developer.

Regards,
SB

Thanks to everybody that replied.

I realize there won't be any sales for Gears 4, as I'll have to buy it through the Xbox store, but what about B1 and CivVI? Should I expect that there will be sales around launch day on new release titles as long as I'm paying attention, or is that like searching for unicorns?

So, as suggested, I just checked out IsThereAnyDeal.com and found Borderlands GOTY for 7.49 at Gamestop. But it says on the ITAD website to make sure to "check DRM". How do I do that, exactly? And why does it matter?

So, as suggested, I just checked out IsThereAnyDeal.com and found Borderlands GOTY for 7.49 at Gamestop. But it says on the ITAD website to make sure to "check DRM". How do I do that, exactly? And why does it matter?

I don't have any gamestop result for borderlands goty. Did you mean Gamesplanet? That one is a Steam Key from the UK that AFAIK should work anywhere.

DRM is the.. specific digital rights management system that game is using. It's the backend that will certify that your game is legal. It could be Steam, EA Origin, Ubisoft Uplay. Or it could be GoG meaning there's no DRM and you can just play by running the executable.

Some people don't like to use different DRM services. Many people avoid buying games that use Origin and will only buy keys for Steam, for example. I think that's a bit of a regression because competition is always welcome, and I buy the game I want to play with the lowest price, regardless of its DRM.

Also, you should verify DRM localization in some stores because sell keys that can only get unlocked in certain regions. For example, Nuuvem sells many keys that can only get unlocked through an IP coming from South America (it's a brazilian store).
Pretty much any store will put out a warning in the game's webpage if the key being sold has a location restriction.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have any gamestop result for borderlands goty. Did you mean Gamesplanet? That one is a Steam Key from the UK that AFAIK should work anywhere.

Thanks, so I don't really have to worry about DRM as long as I don't mind having to run Origin instead of Steam, for example. Just pay attention to region.

This link shows me Gamestop has a PC download for Borderlands GOTY for $7.49

https://isthereanydeal.com/#/page:game/info?plain=borderlandsgameofyearedition

Clicking on the gamestop link brings me to their page that shows the same info

http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/bo...7&sourceID=cVR20kC0FGg-lJ6vg18An9Zj0SYhrwwk0g

Thanks

I didn't get that link when I searched for the game, probably because I'm in Europe.
Though if it's a US store and you're in the US, it seems pretty safe to me.

Thanks

Go to key-sites and buy the keys there.

Are any of them legit other than CD Keys?

If you're talking about g2play/kinguin, the answer would be "it's complicated".
Publishers hate them but they seem to be legal enough to never be brought down..

I guess what he wants to know is if he uses them will he run into any problems

Pretty much only if he unknowingly buys stolen keys and the developer ends up disabling those keys. Alternatively, it's possible that if he buys from a skummy store like G2A and the keys were bought with stolen credit cards, a charge back from the legit owners could cause his key to become disabled as well. Although G2A would be more than happy to offer "insurance" since they know most of the keys sold there aren't legitimate.

Regards,
SB

Back