Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2016 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
They briefly mentioned HDR in the previous Forza article and (surprisingly) said it didn't offer that much in this title. Obviously the TV used is as important as the feature itself when it comes to HDR though. I'm sure it will offer huge advantages in many other titles.

I think for games released now the hdr is all about contrast, for movies it's contrast and a much increased colour space so the change is even more pronounced.

I assume games can target rec2020 or DCI P3 but I believe the current HDR titles are not and just bumping the contrast and brightness.

They briefly mentioned HDR in the previous Forza article and (surprisingly) said it didn't offer that much in this title. Obviously the TV used is as important as the feature itself when it comes to HDR though. I'm sure it will offer huge advantages in many other titles.

In the slim thread they are commenting that the HDR implementation for video playback it´s bogus at the moment, I wonder if that happen as well for games.

I still remember the launch of the One that was plagued with many issues like crushing blacks and a not too smooth scaler, I reckon

Well, i hope they sort it out asap

Holy shit are some people actually expecting games that run at 900p/30fps on XB1 to achieve 4k/60fps on Scorpio...

You better pray they bin off those shitty Jaguar cores then but even with Zen I don't see many 4k native 60fps AAA games on Scorpio. Developers will push visuals as usual and games will be 4k / 30fps with the usual drops to 25fps.

I guess both MS and Sony should publish blue books or white papers every time they announce a new console. Not on the products but on the conferences themselves so that all the descriptors used during the announcements can be clearly defined to discourage overzealous interpretations.

Last edited:
I wonder what the chances are if FH3 is not coded differently for the PC.

As in, the esram calls are remapped to VRAM on PC. Could that be a possibility for the stuttering??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember when I wrote this earlier in the thread?

I was just throwing darts, I didn't think actually think I could be onto something. It may also explain why I don't have excessive stuttering, I'm running DDR4, but it's not OC and I only have 8GB which may not give me the bandwidth required.

Does bring into question on whether you can just using esram pointer flipping within the GPU as well, if the MC is doing nothing, I'm confused as to what's going on. I'll call in @mrcorbo to see his thoughts on the users post
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/t...rformance--Stutters--and-FPS-Fluctuation.aspx

Last edited:

Full 1080p cutscenes, solid 30fps, vsync applied, more shadows, better AO, better specular reflections, motion blur enabled 100% of the time. Unfortunately it has the same controller lag issue as XB1, and the same AA solution.

Last edited:

Full 1080p cutscenes, solid 30fps, vsync applied, more shadows, better AO, better specular reflections, motion blur enabled 100% of the time. Unfortunately it has the same controller lag issue as XB1, and the same AA solution.
Ugh. That's unacceptable. Deal breaker for me.

Didn't care about more shadows, AO or reflections and MB...o my. They had one job.

And they fixed the input lag on X360!! They must have copy-pasted and quickly adapted the XB1 flawed engine. Those lazy developers.

I was just throwing darts, I didn't think actually think I could be onto something. It may also explain why I don't have excessive stuttering, I'm running DDR4, but it's not OC and I only have 8GB which may not give me the bandwidth required.

Does bring into question on whether you can just using esram pointer flipping within the GPU as well, if the MC is doing nothing, I'm confused as to what's going on. I'll call in @mrcorbo to see his thoughts on the users post
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/t...rformance--Stutters--and-FPS-Fluctuation.aspx

Any game, Xbox One port or no that exceeds the GPUs local VRAM budget is going to see performance tank.

My own opinion is that you are seeing a game designed to run at 30fps not being happy to be asked to run higher than that but that, given enough time, Playground will sort it out. To me, the game actually feels smoother running at 4K, where it manages to stay steady around 50fps with dips to 40 than it does at 1080p where it manages around 70fps with dips to below 60. It really, really hates when it fluctuates around that 60fps mark.

I don't understand how an AAA game can be released in 2016 with this much controller lag. Isn't this one of the most basic aspects to get right in a game? The ability to control it properly?

PSN: ddeiana

New Gaf thread (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1293305) seems to show aniso filtering issues on the PS4. Old habbits and all that.

[Edit: aniso filtering issues on X1 also? Oh my! 360 the texture filtering master?!?!]

Disappointing texture filtering and high input lag. Ehhhhhhhh.

Tempted to get the 360 version just to see what the old box can do.

More editing after more watching: the game does actually look jolly nice on PS4 to be honest. If it'd come out a year ago it'd probably have done a lot better than it will. That input unresponse though...

Last edited:

This is probably the most demanding race in the game, the framerate drops massively at the beginning. My CPU never exceeds 65% on any one core and dropping to 1024x768 and low settings does very little to improve the situation. I'm fairly sure it's not exsceeding VRAM either. 4790K, 980Ti, 16GB ram, SSD. I'd love to know what is going on here. Bearing in mind I can hold a fairly decent 60fps at or near 4K in free-roam mode and have very little in the way of stuttering. It's doing something very strange with the GPU, I don't even hear the card get under any load until very high resolutions (1800p+).

There are certain bits of the environment (water splashes/the sea) that will cause the game to crash on Ultra settings and tank the framerate if dropped to High. Disabling Shader Cache in NVCP also seems to improve stuttering.

I think it's quite telling the game has a 'framerate smoothing' option.

Last edited:

This is probably the most demanding race in the game, the framerate drops massively at the beginning. My CPU never exceeds 65% on any one core and dropping to 1024x768 and low settings does very little to improve the situation. I'm fairly sure it's not exsceeding VRAM either. 4790K, 980Ti, 16GB ram, SSD. I'd love to know what is going on here. Bearing in mind I can hold a fairly decent 60fps at or near 4K in free-roam mode and have very little in the way of stuttering. It's doing something very strange with the GPU, I don't even hear the card get under any load until very high resolutions (1800p+).

There are certain bits of the environment (water splashes/the sea) that will cause the game to crash on Ultra settings and tank the framerate if dropped to High. Disabling Shader Cache in NVCP also seems to improve stuttering.

I think it's quite telling the game has a 'framerate smoothing' option.

I don't have the game myself but if it's streaming assets from your storage medium at certain points that could be causing the hitching. I've noticed that with Gears of War 4 on PC, that performance drops massively (from 60-110 FPS down to 25-35 FPS) whenever my SSD is accessed to load in more assets. Luckily it only loads in new assets in areas specifically designed with no combat and some character exposition. But it's annoying how frequent it is. Small combat area -> non-combat area (load assets) -> small combat area -> non-combat area (load assets), rinse and repeat.

Forza won't have that luxury and thus has to load assets more frequently and in area's where it could affect gameplay.

I'm wondering if whatever technique these games are using to stream assets off the storage medium is not optimal for PC Windows ecosystem. IE - optimized for XBO, but something about it just isn't friendly with PC hardware/Windows.

Regards,
SB

I don't have the game myself but if it's streaming assets from your storage medium at certain points that could be causing the hitching. I've noticed that with Gears of War 4 on PC, that performance drops massively (from 60-110 FPS down to 25-35 FPS) whenever my SSD is accessed to load in more assets. Luckily it only loads in new assets in areas specifically designed with no combat and some character exposition. But it's annoying how frequent it is. Small combat area -> non-combat area (load assets) -> small combat area -> non-combat area (load assets), rinse and repeat.

Regards,
SB
I doubt it makes any difference but just curious if you tried comparing low setting to the one you use (assuming it is high-ultra) with regards to load in more assets and performance drop, maybe worth checking out as nothing can be taken for granted.
Although that does not help you in any way apart from curiosity :)
Cheers

I doubt it makes any difference but just curious if you tried comparing low setting to the one you use (assuming it is high-ultra) with regards to load in more assets and performance drop, maybe worth checking out as nothing can be taken for granted.
Although that does not help you in any way apart from curiosity :)
Cheers

I'll give that a try after I've finished the solo campaign. I have most assets at Ultra on a 1070 with a few on medium at 2400x1500. FPS rarely dips below 60 FPS except in the "loading" areas where nothing is happening except moving from one location to another.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back