"Yes, but how many polygons?" An artist blog entry with interesting numbers

More Rise of The tomb raider ingame polycounts.( with low poly hair)

Different outfits for lara.

Sorry too lazy to apply the textures lol

Outfit 1

198.651 polygons

X70GQR7.jpg

outfit 2

199.445 polygons.

uPdzadl.jpg

Sorry I don't have acces to the Xbox 360 version of the game.

Maybe you have access to other games from Xbox 360 games? Like Battlefield Hardline, Alien Isolation, Metro Last Light, Crysis 3 or Assassin's Creed Rogue?

Resident evil 7 biohazard teaser beginning hour

"Family Man"

121.782 polygons

x6HxGWF.jpg

GmSb7A0.jpg

Np63Sjz.jpg

nFIZcpw.jpg

I find weird that they have modelled the full body considering that most of it is covered by clothes.

CCatVzW.jpg

Practically all the methods of creating clothing for a character require an underlying body model. Doesn't matter if it's a completely artistic approach or if you use some sort of simulation (Marvelous Designer), you still need a foundation. You don't have to include this actual model, you don't need to texture it or rig it, but it will still be a great help.

Looking at the screenshots, it seems like it's a generic body, so it's probably only included in the base asset but it's not part of the runtime version.

Thats a lot of polygons. The model doesnt look as interesting as someone would expect from such a high geometry. It is kinda overkill. But still the game manages to run at 60fps which is impressive

The high polycount probably helps when the body parts are being rotated/stretched/moved around.

The high polycount probably helps when the body parts are being rotated/stretched/moved around.

And since it's resident evil, add "chopped off, blown away, burned to a crisp" to the list of actions.

It's good that current gen asset is roughly 5-10 x of previous gen in poly count, maybe we'll get 1 million poly character next gen after all if the leap is similar:). God have mercy on what Team Ninja would do with their DOA beach babes.
Next gen cutscene models would just be straight up CG wont it?

Great job EsppiraK, keep up the awesome work. Do we have the polycount of Venom Snake from MGS: V? I'm surprised how dense those RE7 characters are.

Hello guys!
First of all I want to say thanks to all contributors on this thread.

Currently Im working on an article about the evolution of game graphics for PlayStation consoles.
Right now I have managed to research the polygon counts of quite a few famous characters. But still some are missing, as you can see on the attached PDF-file.

Could you please help me out?

Attachments

• Polygon Count.pdf
    27.4 KB · Views: 15
Back