Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Yet another glove implementation from SCE. Magnetic tracking of fingertips this time.
http://www.freshpatents.com/-dt20160825ptan20160246369.php

Looks very low cost to implement, it's only using a hall-effect sensor (these are like 50 cents) at each fingertip and 3 point electromagnets at the wrist. Cycling each point provides 3 distances so it's placing each fingetip in 3D space. IK resolve the rest of the hand. The wrist is glowing and has essentially the Move circuitry give the absolute 6-axis data of the entire hand.

Interesting addition in the patent is having magnetic emitters in other devices such as the Move, which can provide additional vectors to resolve.

I saw a small article on a design that puts your hand inside an exoskeleton that can give counterpressure so you get the very similar feeling to picking things up. It even has some kind of springs that make some objects feel squishy, example given was a rubber duck (was Phil Harrison involved perhaps? ;) )

This was a Chinese startup, but looked like a winner in terms of getting the concept exactly right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I saw a small article on a design that puts your hand inside an exoskeleton that can give counterpressure so you get the very similar feeling to picking things up. It even has some kind of springs that make some objects feel squishy, example given was a rubber duck (was Phil Harrison involved perhaps? ;) )

This was a Chinese startup, but looked like a winner in terms of getting the concept exactly right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There's been a few of those, you mean the Dexta kickstarter?

It's like each company is developing only one piece of the puzzle. They don't have tracking (as far as I know?) and they proposed to combine with lighthouse or STEM. That why I like that Valve decided to license their tracking, it helps everyone trying to add their own technology on top of an existing platform.

The micro-servo actuators end up very expensive. I don't know if there is any hope for proper haptic gloves at a console peripheral price.:-?

sony just increased their partnership! my country had only 3 partners, after the Hong Kong press conf, now its 11!!!!!!!!!

but when i called the partners, they say they are still waiting confirmation from sony for the quota. So they cannot accept pre order despite already listed in playstation.com

argh

I've been looking at some 4K HDR footage (walking through a huge TV store) and watched some VR footage on my phone, and while the difference in resolution is really big, VR has a much bigger impact on me. The better the resolution and colors become, the more the lack of depth is starting to annoy me. I'm feeling more and more that I am looking at beautiful (sometimes really, really beautiful) moving photos, and less actually being there. It's a weird kind of uncanny valley. Whereas watching a movie in VR, even though the image quality is basically back to SD (but with generally much better colors), it has a much bigger effect on me.

Yesterday Pre ordered Psvr before it was listed on the store. By talking to the sales agent via WhatsApp.

Today it was listed on the store, suddenly as out of stock.

And my pre order hasn't appeared on my purchase history.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Gonna contact them tomorrow. Hopefully the sales agent did not forgot to input my preorder

hurray! secured the pre order for wave 1. Guaranteed come in October but not certain date :/

and i pre-ordered even before they opened PSVR pre order, ugh

Have we heard any bundle rumors since the pro was revealed? Any further availability news for the 13th?

I am afraid stock will be very limited. I have one on pre order at two stores, incl. Amazon. However, both refuse to give any info on shipping dates. They simply don't know how many Sony will deliver on October 13.

For the PS4 Pro, it is a different story. I expect them to be widely available.

Psvr demo session was canceled in Indonesia. Sony doesn't want to tell the reason.

I'm afraid sony forgot to apply for Indonesian certification again, just like what they did with ps4 20th anniversary...

Argrhrgrggr hopefully they can do whatever they need to do fast enough. So Indonesia still on schedule for 13th October.

Any idea how they are going to prevent controller drifting? (DS4, Move, Farpoint gun) When testing DS4 or Move controller with PS4 virtual keyboard cursor seems to drift quite fast...

I suspect they will correct it using the position captured on camera and by using "inverse kinematics" or whatever the name is (not to show simulated shoulder animation / capture but to assume correct position of PS moves instead)

Any idea how they are going to prevent controller drifting? (DS4, Move, Farpoint gun) When testing DS4 or Move controller with PS4 virtual keyboard cursor seems to drift quite fast...

Virtual keyboard cursor is Wii-style gyro only, no camera tracking. With the stereo camera and also being able to track the headset, they should be able to be pretty precise. In fact, if you try the DS4 PlayRoom AR demos, you will see it is very precise indeed.

Back