Legality of Emus on Consoles *feather split*

A tutorial on how to make Retroarch emulator work on the Xbox One.

https://translate.google.com/transl...m/tutorial-retroarch-web-xbox-one/&edit-text=

Yesterday we informed you that a web version of the famous emulator/API RetroArch that uses the libretro project to emulate dozens of consoles and older computers through their respective coreswas already available. The version web is a first release that works under HTML5 and Javascript and that us allows (or rather us will allow in its future version stable) play to all our roms of our consoles old favorite using Dropbox for this.

For which not know RetroArch is a program that uses its interface to configure and launch roms with different cores (of the project libretro) that contain the information to emulate different computers. Is capable of emulating PlayStation, NES, Super NES, Game Boy / Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Genesis, Sega CD, Master System / Game Gear, Arcade, Virtual Boy, PC Engine, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Wonderswan Color / SwanCrystal, Nintendo 64, Wii and GameCube with Dolphin, and probably others are currently developing is. As can see all a jewel.

Us it have state testing from yesterday and then you will be guided step by step so it can use in yours Xbox, but have that reiterate that is is of a first release and that the emulation is something slow and the sound is locks in Xbox One, something that hope is solve with following versions. Yesterday contacted with one of the developers of libretro and us commented that the engine of javascript of Microsoft Edge left much that wish, although in the PC works quite well as others browsers as Google Chrome (the best for them).

@libretro On Xbox One SNES and Megadrive run ok, but with problems "run very slow emulation and sound". Gamepad run but dont best config :)
Follow
libretro @libretro

@EleazarRobaina I guess Edge just sucks then in terms of their Javascript engine compared to Google Chrome, on which it runs good on.

Tutorial
Step 1: need a has of Dropbox, roms of SNES / Megadrive and a PC / laptop to load the roms. Open the browser in the PC and enter the following address https://bot.libretro.com/web/

Step 2: select at the top the emulator to load (2010/Genesis Plus GX snes9x) and look forward to the "Run" button to stop charging.

Step 3: Once loaded the core down to bottom website and click on the button Dropbox where will lead us to a page where we will introduce our data to link our account.

Step 4: linked once our Dropbox account and shows us the sign that is all OK Click on the "Add Content" button (no matter that it comes out as not selectable) and opens us the examiner of files where we will select our roms that are automatically loaded into your Dropbox account. Can upload roms manually through the web page of Dropbox whose route is applications / RetroArchSync (if have problems in locating the simplenmente id to files recent).

Step 5: we are going to verify that it works correctly in the browser of the PC and the roms are in the cache of your browser. Clikeamos in Run and should exit the menu main of configuration of RetroArch.

Press the key "x" to select Load Content and then another time for select Select File and should of see them roms that have loaded previously to our has of Dropbox (if have loaded roms directly via web in the page oficiald e Dropbox will have recharge it page for again to sincornizar with Dropbox returning to perform them first steps for this). With the key "z" back to back.

By selecting the rom to load with them arrows directional and by pressing the key "x" will charge the rom and us will charge the emulator and can play.

Step 6 Playing with RetroArch Web in our Xbox One: Open the browser Microsoft Edge and enter the url https://bot.libretro.com/web/. Once we have loaded at the top select the emulator Snes9x 2010 and looking forward to to stop charging the Run button at the top.

Step 7: once the Run button has stopped loading (download the core) click the Dropbox button on the bottom and insert our Dropbox account and hope the synchronization that can last several minutes.

Step 8: If we have followed all the steps above and we have uploaded roms to our account Dropbox from your PC now simply click the Run button to launch RetroArch. Can use the pad directional to move us by the menu of RetroArch and the buttons B (for select) and to to return back as you teach in them steps 5 and 6.

6YWMCBA.png

Nesbox where in brief is you will give support to OneDrive and where the rom of demonstration runs of wonder in Xbox One. Any doubts that have comment on it and see if you can help.

Brilliant...is full screen possible?
yes, they are just showing the entire dashboard because they pressed the big X button in the middle of X1's gamepad -it happens with whatever game you are using app, TV, etc. But if you press A on the emulator screen, it goes full-screen.

yes, they are just showing the entire dashboard because they pressed the big X button in the middle of X1's gamepad -it happens with whatever game you are using app, TV, etc. But if you press A on the emulator screen, it goes full-screen.

Thought so but i noticed it was on the home screen for every picture so i wasn't sure why that was.

Win64e10, a Nintendo 64 emulator, hasn't been vetoed and is fully playable on the Xbox One --it's an universal app.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/p/win64e10/9nblggh4r9nw (store webpage)

6rTerEU.jpg
njjRRtR.jpg
kE4IypG.jpg

v2.1.0.0 1. Add support for Xbox One. 2. Remove virtual control support for PC and tablet. 3. Recover to original render mode for boosting up performance. v2.0.0.0 1. Overhaul of UI. 2. Fixed crash of several games, including Mario Cart 64. 3. Remake of video to support multiple screen resolutions. 4. New buttons layout. 5. Hide buttons. 6. Integrate Xbox One/360 controller. 7. Integrate HID controller including MOGA. 8. Fixed saving/loading of games. 9. Support Continuum mode 10.Integrate OneDrive for Import/Export. 11.Add many config options. v1.1.1.0 1. Integrate dynamic recompiler. 2. Build app for x64

It shows up as 7.69 british pounds. I was hoping it was free to at least give it a try.

It shows up as 7.69 british pounds. I was hoping it was free to at least give it a try.
If you go to your W10 Store and perform a search it should be there in your local currency. Still, while it is listed, trying to purchase it doesn't work anymore. I tried like 10 times now and I can't.

Good thing tho, it's not cheap. But I would just LOVE to play Diddy Kong Racing and F-Zero, and Ridge Racer on the Xbox One, on a proper modern console, and I can''t. :cry:

I managed to purchase it, and it's working on my Xbox One. :smile2: I am not a preview member, so it works for average users. In order to purchase it you need to go to the Xbox One store, there you use the search function (magnifying glass icon) and search for Win64e10 , and there it is. :cool: It also appeared now in my PC, and I downloaded it to my PC too.

Seems like it works from the xbox one store.

I honestly don't see this lasting though. I mean what's the difference between this and the nesbox app?

I honestly don't see this lasting though. I mean what's the difference between this and the nesbox app?
this one isn't free. That's the only difference I see. Thus maybe Nintendo are ripping off the benefits.

p.d. Uploading the Diddy Kong Racing, F-Zero, Ridge Racer, Castlevania and many other roms to my Onedrive account :D -I have just used 1GT out of my 1TB of space I have there, dunno why, I never paid for so much space.

video:

seems kind of buggy. not sure if it's worth money right now.
The sound sometimes accelerates for no apparent reason, but the "bug" that is seemingly a plague in every single universal app emulator I've played is that in some games, if you press the B button, the emulator goes back to the main window, so you can't use that button to play games. I dunno why that happens but it occurs in most universal apps I've tried where B is like in menus, to go back, but it shouldn't happen when you are playing.

F-Zero ran perfectly, though, as long as you don't press B. That issue didn't happen in Diddy Kong Racing, it's odd.

Another issue I found is that it doesn't seem to use X1's HD to save data, so your progress is lost? Gotta investigate that. Plus Roms where imported and downloaded but they weren't there the second time around I restarted it -I didn't sign in into Onedrive, but still, roms seemed to have downloaded (edit: they are in X1 HD, downloaded from the get go, but at times they didn't seem to work..)

Hopefully the author improves Xbox One code in that sense

Last edited:

The thing is, Microsoft didn't really say why it was denied on the XBO. Only that it was denied because it was applied for all regions. The implication there being that it might have been approved in select regions. But what makes it appropriate for one region and not another? The content? Unlikely, IMO. There's apps in there that allow you to download pirated media directly onto the XBO. Why is that related? Well Microsoft has closer ties to the Music and Movie industry than they do to Nintendo. And it isn't like Nintendo can sue them assuming the app uses clean code.

I commented in another thread, that Microsoft needs to let developers know more detail on why their app submissions get denied. The wording that the NESbox dev got was very vague.

Regards,
SB

Save states and the like work well. The controls too, no problem in that sense --don't press B except if you want to create a save state, switch games, go to the main interface of the app, etc.

Castlevania ran the best for me, with some sloppy sound, but framerate was solid. Settings button is for PCs, don't work on Xbox One and the emulator freezes if you use it..

Diddy Kong Racing and Castlevania 64 running on my console.

2z66kya.jpg

9h12ls.jpg

The thing is, Microsoft didn't really say why it was denied on the XBO. Only that it was denied because it was applied for all regions. The implication there being that it might have been approved in select regions. But what makes it appropriate for one region and not another? The content? Unlikely, IMO. There's apps in there that allow you to download pirated media directly onto the XBO. Why is that related? Well Microsoft has closer ties to the Music and Movie industry than they do to Nintendo. And it isn't like Nintendo can sue them assuming the app uses clean code.

I commented in another thread, that Microsoft needs to let developers know more detail on why their app submissions get denied. The wording that the NESbox dev got was very vague.

Regards,
SB

Yeah it sounded like it wasn't approved because it of some technicality in the submission process more so than it was an emulator..

Yeah it sounded like it wasn't approved because it of some technicality in the submission process more so than it was an emulator..
Well, it seems that is has been pulled from the xbox one store. It works for those of us who purchased it already. So I won't remove it, just in case. My only worry now is that I would want to get updates, just like in the Windows store, because the emulator still needs some work --Ridge Racer doesn't work for me, for instance. And now it seems unlikely.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-09-27-n64-emulator-pulled-from-xbox-one-store

What I don't understand is why it isn't removed from the W10 store, because it's their store. I can understand that an emulator downloaded as an exe from a webpage is not the same, but if it is in the Windows store, why not on X1 store? It's unfair, really, to console users.

What I don't understand is why it isn't removed from the W10 store, because it's their store. I can understand that an emulator downloaded as an exe from a webpage is not the same, but if it is in the Windows store, why not on X1 store? It's unfair, really, to console users.

Emulators (paid and free) have been available on the Windows store for years. This is pretty clearly not a matter of Microsoft as a company universally opposing emulators but them or their XBox division not wanting them on XBox One. There are some decent possible explanations for why MS would care about one and not the other.

Back