Tim Sweeney says photorealism may be achieved at 40 teraflops

lol @ 30fps.

As an artistic endeavor I don't see why game studios shouldn't have the freedom to "stylize" or not. They have art directors for a reason. One of the great things about games as a medium is the freedom to do whatever you want. Not sure why everything should look realistic.

Btw ff xv duscae demo is seen in 6inch screen, already looks photo realistic.

Not the characters, but the food and the world.

30fps is just terrible. It's shit. At best, it's tolerable, but certainly no more than that.
Just like how 60fps is shit compared to 120/144fps but carry on crying about something that been a standard for consoles since 1995 mainly because of how consoles work. 30fps look's fine to me if its locked but i guess 40m PS4 owners & me are just idiots, I remember when people played games for fun, gameplay & story but now it either cryisis 3 graphics or GTFO!!!.

It's posts like this make wonder how many here are just kids since anything game wise form the 80's & 90's is shit.

Just like how 60fps is shit compared to 120/144fps but carry on crying about something that been a standard for consoles since 1995 mainly because of how consoles work. 30fps look's fine to me if its locked but i guess 40m PS4 owners & me are just idiots, I remember when people played games for fun, gameplay & story but now it either cryisis 3 graphics or GTFO!!!.

It's posts like this make wonder how many here are just kids since anything game wise form the 80's & 90's is shit.
And you are...?

Just like how 60fps is shit compared to 120/144fps but carry on crying about something
You lost me right there. Nobody's "crying" about 30fps. You don't HAVE to settle for 30fps, even on consoles. And 120+ fps is only a marginal improvement over 60, whereas 60 is a huge upgrade over 30. So why don't you take a long walk off a short pier and cool yourself off a bit okay, mkay?

From Towards Bidirectional Path Tracing at Pixar:

http://blog.selfshadow.com/publications/s2016-shading-course/pixar/s2016_pbs_pixar_notes.pdf

Rendering is now a sampling problem, as shading and lighting are physically based. But this does not mean that everything must become photorealistic and absolutely physically correct. The goal is still to render visually pleasing images, so being physically based should not prevent artistic creativity. There are just a few rules we need to keep in mind when bending reality. If there is no way to correctly sample a hack, it might not be a good one.

I've been thinking about this issue. The key is defining photorealism. True photorealism could be defined as a real-time game with no difference to a live filmed video that a trained individual with excellent eye sight could discern. I think this will be impossible to achieve until we reach a couple hundred teraflops in a GPU. However, there are also varying degrees between the center of the Uncanny Valley (in which characters just look obviously spooky and fake) to characters (and to a lesser extent enviornments) that are so well rendered that they take some effort to discern as not a live action video by a non-expert.

My thinking is that RIGHT NOW with a high end video card (such as a GTX 1080) if a game was made at 1080P and targetting 30FPS in an enclosed environment (lets say a large house) and the developers had a huge budget a game could be made that could confuse people for a short period of time.

Rendering a photorealistic facsimile of Capain Jean-Luc should be the turing test of photorealism. If you can't tell the difference between the real and rendered balding pate then photorealism has been achieved.

picard_meets_bane_by_zaempera-d66fs3p.jpg

Back