Bioshock Collection (free for existing Steam owners)

I thought all titles in the bioshock collection were remastered
bioshock infinite is not available for free
my bioshock is the original retail (the one in the tin, bought second hand ) and i can only get the upgrade if I provide 2k with a receipt from 9 years ago which i dont have

2 posts from the comments :

looking at the comparisson videos, it has barely been touched. this is one of the most minimalistic "remasters" i have ever seen

Nothing about the titles are remastered, they're just the original PC titles maxed win 1080p for consoles

Bioshock Infinite is not being remastered on PC. They've stated this since the first announcement. The remastered versions on consoles are basically the PC versions.

BTW - the remastered versions are live on Steam now. Installing as I write this. Can't wait to play Bioshock 1 again.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
I now see Bioshock Remastered on my Steam Games list.

Well, finally had time to fire up the port. Haven't played it yet as I just wanted to note that it's not off to a good start.

If you have a controller plugged in, you can't use the mouse in the menus until you disable the mouse through the menus. Ugh.

Also it has a pretty crappy Windowed mode implementation. You can't even move the window, so for me, it's stuck in the upper left hand corner instead of the center as I prefer. Since I have a large monitor (49") that means I actually have to move my chair to the left in order to view it well. Which also means shifting my keyboard and mouse, etc. whenever I play the game. And then shift everything back after I play the game. What a royal PITA.

Oh and the graphics options are basically non-existent.

So far, whoever ported this to PC from console isn't leaving a good impression. Here's to hoping the in game graphics will make me forget about those issues.

Edit - Aliasing in game is pretty bad. Sigh.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
I can't imagine they would have ported from PC to Console for BioShock Original, then added the ReMaster treatment to the Console base, and finally port that from Console back to PC.

I can't imagine they would have ported from PC to Console for BioShock Original, then added the ReMaster treatment to the Console base, and finally port that from Console back to PC.

I just installed Bioshock 1 the original to see how things compare and it is drastically different.

There's actual graphics options (shadow maps, post processing, shaders, real time reflections, distortion, global lighting, actor detail, texture detail, etc.) that you can enable or disable on a case by case basis. All of that is just missing in the remaster. I guess if someones PC isn't up to running the remaster, they'll just have to run the old version which actually has graphical options...erm...except I don't think you get the old version for free when you buy the remaster.

You can also drag the window when in windowed mode, unlike the remaster.

If they did just re-use the PC engine and not port the PS4 or XBO engine, then whoever did the remaster really F-ed things up royally.

All that said, the graphics are noticeably upgraded.

Regards,
SB

Test drive lemans and iron storm disagree
never underestimate the stupidity of devs

Ps:
Reading Buddha's post it seems I'm much better off sticking with the originals.

Last edited:
Test drive lemans and iron storm disagree
never underestimate the stupidity of devs.
Never underestimate the influence of the people actually paying the outsourced development company ("Blind Squirrel") to make some new budget money grab.

I think it's fairly hard to complain about something they are freely giving owners of the original releases! I have them downloaded but haven't tried yet.

Last edited:
It's interesting that Bioshock Remastered needs ~4x more disk space than the original release. It's larger than BS2R. BS2R is <2x larger than BS2.

Played it for a few mins. Got past that first failing underwater tunnel. It looks like many textures are much higher resolution now, but the game definitely still has that 2007 look. I never liked the cartoon-ish animation of the NPCs.

I suppose it's obvious that this is mostly meant for console people because all of the prompts are gamepad buttons. Maybe it's a bug.

I couldn't find any evidence that the D3D10 water effects are still there. No ripples were visible in any puddles I ran across. I don't remember exactly where the effects were present though.

It's interesting that Bioshock Remastered needs ~4x more disk space than the original release. It's larger than BS2R. BS2R is <2x larger than BS2.

Textures and shaders are significantly upgraded as is the lighting. I'm guessing the bulk of the increased size is going towards textures. Which also makes sense when you consider the download size pre-install. For Bioshock the original it was slightly over 5 GB. For Bioshock remastered it was ~12.5 GB. Install sizes after extraction is 5.7 GB versus 21.1 GB respectively.

I'm going to have to play the original a bit more to see the NPC models were also updated. A lot of the level geometry seems to be the same.

Also need to play the original a bit more to see if the scale is off like it is in the remaster. Some things are so large that it feels like you're a child running around. Toilets feel like they are about chest high. A newspaper machine is so tall you can't actually look at the newspaper inside of it, and you'd have to actually reach up above your head to put a coin in the slot.

But either way, as I said, textures and shaders are massively better than the original. So I'm willing to put up with the 2 steps forward, 1 step backwards nature of the remaster on PC. Not being able to drag the window is really getting on my nerves though. I think this may be the first game title where I've run into that.

Regards,
SB

Original bs1 is 5.5gb, original bs2 is 9.5gb

ps: could anyone post some comparison shots in the screenshots thread (or here)

Textures and shaders are significantly upgraded as is the lighting. I'm guessing the bulk of the increased size is going towards textures. Which also makes sense when you consider the download size pre-install. For Bioshock the original it was slightly over 5 GB. For Bioshock remastered it was ~12.5 GB. Install sizes after extraction is 5.7 GB versus 21.1 GB respectively.

Whoops, need to make a correction. Looking at my download history in Steam, it appears the download size of Bioshock 1 is actually 3.7 GB.

Regards,
SB

It certainly has nicer textures in many cases. And some added details. But unless you do side by side comparisons, I don't think it's different enough to really notice.

I think the FOV is narrower, even on "expanded", than the original game's unlocked FOV mode.

Also, my prompts aren't Xbox controller prompts anymore. It switched to keyboard keys for some reason. It's weird because I never had a gamepad connected to this PC.

Last edited:
Does bs1 remastered still support eax ?
ps: i noticed your bioshock 1 is version 1.1 I had to stick with 1.0 because 1.1 ctd's

Back