Sony Playstation Meeting September 7 2016 [PS4 Slim, PS4 Pro, Rumors, Speculations, and News]

Any word on whether I can just take my 2TB HDD out of my original PS4 and simply swap the Pro HDD with it? Cause of course I'm buying it.
Probably not because the OS should be slightly different between the two.

In a FAQ, Sony has stated that for cloning the content of your previous console all you need to do is connect them through the ethernet cable.
Unless your 2TB disk has less than 1TB of content, I don't see how you're going to transfer your content directly..

Any word on whether I can just take my 2TB HDD out of my original PS4 and simply swap the Pro HDD with it? Cause of course I'm buying it.
Yeah, that dawned on my yesterday. I can see myself having to backup up to a couple of 1Tb HDDs, migrating the 2Tb HDD from the PS4 to the Pro, restoring everything then popping the Pro's 1Tb drive in the PS4, then restoring mostly everything there.

Simples. :runaway:

Unfortunately I think the best we can hope for is a link option to directly transfer :(
Firmware 4.0 is coming tomorrow:

Data Transfer to new PS4

In order to make it easier to get all of your data from one PS4 to another, especially useful if you’ve upgraded your system to PS4 Pro, we’ve added the ability to transfer data over a wired LAN connection. You can transfer games, user info, and saved data. Of course, you can re-download content and transfer saves through the cloud, but the LAN transfer should be much faster and easier.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/12/ps4-system-software-update-4-00-out-tomorrow/

I just hope an external backup can be recovered on a different PS4, because I want to put my SSD in the PS4 Pro, and put the pro's 1TB back in the old PS4 to sell it. The full switcheroo.

Otherwise it's going to be a tedious process:
Copy through LAN
Backup on external drive
factory reset SSD in PS Pro
Recover the backup
factory reset 1TB in Old PS4

If I can do the backup on the old and recover on the new that would save me at least the copy-through-lan part.

I did a backup to external drive on old PS4 and then restore on new PS4. That went really easy. You can now also transfer from one PS4 to another. Only just lifting a HDD and putting it into another PS4 is not yet possible, because the machine id is included in the file encryption or something like that.

And no, on PS4 you can swap your internal drive about as easily as you can hook up an external one and install games on it on Xbox One. Personally I'm fine with this setup, but for some the option would have been nice I figure (options are generally nice).

I plan to upgrade (obviously :)) and I think I'll get an ssd. 1tb is getting as low as $200 now days. Overkill, by why not :p

one thing I will say. If a dev wants to sell copies they will implement a touched up 1080P mode and actually promote the game with the game running in the best looking mode@best framerate (which should always technically be the 1080P)
I would be fine with games having options like tomb raider (4K HDR,1080P+unlocked framerate or 1080P 30fps best graphics) but never cross the line of giving consumers too many individual options like on a PC that would just be stupid.

It also makes sense why they didn't talk so much about it @ the conference if Sony wants to sell 4K screens.

Last edited:
one thing I will say. If a dev wants to sell copies they will implement a touched up 1080P mode and actually promote the game with the game running in the best looking mode@best framerate (which should always technically be the 1080P)
I would be fine with games having options like tomb raider (4K HDR,1080P+unlocked framerate or 1080P 30fps best graphics) but never cross the line of giving consumers too many individual options like on a PC that would just be stupid.

It also makes sense why they didn't talk so much about it @ the conference if Sony wants to sell 4K screens.

I honestly thought this gen we'd start to see toggle switches in games to switch between performance and pretty. Hopefully they will allow a bit of a mix - I'd quite like 1080p with HDR

I honestly thought this gen we'd start to see toggle switches in games to switch between performance and pretty. Hopefully they will allow a bit of a mix - I'd quite like 1080p with HDR
Please no, that would be a huge mistake. I don't want to spend more than one minute in the options menu of a console game, let alone testing how it runs and go back to the menu to switch things up over and over and over again.
I want to put in a disc PLAY and enjoy the xperience.And I don't think 1080P and HDR is a thing.

You'll need that 4K money but I doubt its worth upgrading till next gen so who cares about HDR other than people who already have one? And even they may end up playing the HD mode if it got things like better framerate lol

Please no, that would be a huge mistake. I don't want to spend more than one minute in the options menu of a console game, let alone testing how it runs and go back to the menu to switch things up over and over and over again.

I want to put in a disc PLAY and enjoy the xperience.

But you can/could? there would be a default and then the option to change - hardly a pain. Think of The Last of Us remaster which ahd the 30fps lock and better looking shadows...it's nice to have the option, all I'm saying is have a couple options to select from.

I want to put in a disc PLAY and enjoy the xperience.And I don't think 1080P and HDR is a thing.

You'll need that 4K money but I doubt its worth upgrading till next gen so who cares about HDR other than people who already have one? And even they may end up playing the HD mode if it got things like better framerate lol

there is no reason graphics options alter your pickup and play experience, the default can be whatever the dev believes is best based on the connected TV but other options do not alter your experience but do cost the developer time and effort to implement.

anything can have HDR I would assume only at this time its only new tv sets built for 4K accept and can show it.

The Xbox One s will upscale output to 4k and include HDR, the upcoming Battlefield 1 which is supposed to have HDR support if extended to xbox will be 720 title with HDR upscaled and outputted to the TV at 4k.

Every PS4 gets HDR and both original and slim output a max of 1080p so Sony must be sure that HDR will be transported correctly with that signal?

Back