Sony Playstation Meeting September 7 2016 [PS4 Slim, PS4 Pro, Rumors, Speculations, and News]

I did quote you. It looks like you edited your post and removed that statement.
I didn't. You quoted the article. I put them in block quotes to make it more apparent because you're too quick on the trigger finger to even read the article linked.

Edit: if for any consolation, I do apologize for not block quoting it to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions-remotes-selectors-cameras/fmp-x10

46 mbps videos available apparently.

Overpriced Sony streaming service to a device that looks like PS4 and no UHD in PS4. Coincidence? ;)
The sony pictures 4K service was created because there wasn't any at the time, and they needed something. I read it will be merged with Ultraviolet, now that it offers high bitrate 4k. The device would basically become an ultraviolet player, I guess?

I didn't. You quoted the article. I put them in block quotes to make it more apparent because you're too quick on the trigger finger to even read the article linked.

You're exhibiting some weird sense of pride. It was originally something not quoted and thus attributable to you. Perhaps you should just admit your post was originally malformed and that caused some confusion. Moving on.

You're exhibiting some weird sense of pride. It was originally something not quoted and thus attributable to you. Perhaps you should just admit your post was originally malformed and that caused some confusion. Moving on.
Agreed. Amended above. Moving on.

the difference between plasma and dlp grayscale is that plasma is usually limited by phosphors and dlp is limited by resonance frequency of micromirrors where they are easy to drive. This sets the available # of subframes per frame, and the two levels become X "bit equivalent" . BTW , JVC's LCOS is said to be PWM like DLP, and ferroelectric LC can be faster than micromirrors.
ah, I didn't know. seems you have quite some inside knowledge of that tech. thanks for sharing and welcome to Beyond3D :)

with HDR, the range should be linear and not log, hence it should be less of a problem, right?
I also wonder if back projected might be more suitable for HDR.

Are the LCOS able to get proper blacks and cover a big range? DLP might have a frequency limit, but if it works, it works nice. From the high level I know about LCOS is that these are like LCDs, but with reflectivity instead of transparency, hence I wonder if these can be really driven to reflect 0%.

(...) these are like LCDs, but with reflectivity instead of transparency, hence I wonder if these can be really driven to reflect 0%.

Actually very different from direct view LCD-s , since you don't need viewing angle in a projector, in a small angle is much easier to have great contrast (JVC's numbers are true 70.000:1) there is high temperature , and this high temperature in effect works like overdrive in ordinary LCD-s , except it's much better because no hysteresis ( T-off is also MUCH better not just T-on). So in fact LCOS can be close to 0% (crossed polarizers are pitch black), and DLP suffers because of stray light ( ~2000:1 ) . Checked last day, the DLP chips that can be modulated at real high rates are over 2000 USD. In displays you need non-linear gamma.

Is there (non-streaming) high-bitrate video available any where of the 4K content from PS4 Pro?

Without having even looked, I would expect it to be available on the PlayStation Store or some Sony marketing site. But that might make too much sense to have it be reality.

I love the clusterfuck happening.

Recent interview with Ito confirms supporting UHD bluray was adding costs which would have prevented them from reaching their 399 price point, and same reason for putting a 1TB instead of a 2TB. It is also very clear the choice of 4.2TF plus custom hardware instead of 5.5TF was to reach the 399 price point and to launch a year earlier. This was pretty much the criticism against PS3 (expensive bluray, year late, expensive 60gb, huge power-hungry console).

How many will switch platform over this? The drama is such an overblown reaction. :LOL:

"I wont buy PS4 pro because it doesnt have UHD blu-ray, because gaming consoles are meant to watch movies on" - random guy on vgchartz

I can't argue with that logic, but I still wanted a UHD-player in the PS4 so I wouldn't have to buy another player...
If one manages to get nearly 90% of their console usage to be just playing games, I'd be seriously impressed in this age. Have my friends list is watching Netflix, TV, Hulu, Twitch, YouTube, etc.

That being said this whole debacle would be reversed if Sony shipped the same feature set at Xbox One Slim with the new PS4. I think they would have unprecedented demand IMO. I think many people counted on it having seen MS offerings come out first.

Ah well. It may just be faux outrage, much like Apple never including a SD memory slot, as price point is king and Sony may have dodged a huge bullet by saving costs there. But we will only know in hind sight.

Not hard for them to release a PS4 UHD model if they wanted to get into that market.

I love the clusterfuck happening.

Recent interview with Ito confirms supporting UHD bluray was adding costs which would have prevented them from reaching their 399 price point, and same reason for putting a 1TB instead of a 2TB. It is also very clear the choice of 4.2TF plus custom hardware instead of 5.5TF was to reach the 399 price point and to launch a year earlier. This was pretty much the criticism against PS3 (expensive bluray, year late, expensive 60gb, huge power-hungry console).

How many will switch platform over this? The drama is such an overblown reaction. :LOL:
SONY has used TSMC 16nm but still make PS4 Pro with more power than PS4 OG. They can't push PS4 Pro to 5.5 TF unless SIE uses more power efficient architecture instead of GCN 1.1 based (which is for fully backward compatibility).

As for the lack of UHD-BD support, IMO SONY just wants to makes their profit as big as possible, since PS4 Pro already has 3X GPU performance of xb1s.

But it is interesting that SONY chooses 1TB HDD + common BD drive instead of 500 GB HDD + UHD-BD drive (cheaper 500G HDD may compensate for expensive UHD-BD, which may only cost 15.5 dollars more).

It could be just a stupid licensing fee they don't want to pay. BR is ~$10 already (+tax), not sure, but UHD might be some extra cost.

SONY has used TSMC 16nm but still make PS4 Pro with more power than PS4 OG. They can't push PS4 Pro to 5.5 TF unless SIE uses more power efficient architecture instead of GCN 1.1 based (which is for fully backward compatibility).

The pro is basically using an underclocked 480 (which is Polaris) with custom modifications on top of it. Not GCN 1.1.

From the official FAQ
Q: How does PS4 Pro compare to the standard PS4?
PS4 Pro is significantly more powerful than the standard PS4 model. PS4 Pro’s advanced graphics processor unit incorporates many features from AMD’s latest “Polaris” architecture, as well as some fully custom hardware innovations, and is considerably more powerful than the GPU included in the standard PS4.

Sony has access to every ps4 usage metric from their users. For example, the ratio of usage for video watching versus gaming, down to the split of video streaming versus Blu-ray viewing. They must be confident with the choice to not include a UHD drive.

If their numbers show limited disc based access, the perceived value for their target user should not be greatly affected to exclude the drive.

Clearly the focus is ultimately to increase 4k adoption.

The issue with UDH BluRay is pretty simple. People who don't care about it will be the console anyways. People who do care about it, however niche, won't. The question is how many people is that? I'm definitely not one of them. I'll never touch a disc again. In other markets where streaming is less viable, it could be more of an issue. Overall, I don't think it'll have a large impact on their business.

iPlayer typically doesn't stream movies from my experience. And you need a License, although I guess they can't really enforce that overseas. ;)
I assumed it was any sort of content rather than exclusively movies - traditional TV programming is the greater majority of streamed content on Netflix. :yep2:

Back