Sony Playstation Meeting September 7 2016 [PS4 Slim, PS4 Pro, Rumors, Speculations, and News]

that's also my opinion, because PS4 Pro will be more about "smart" 4K than native 4K, at least that much I got from the conference.
then again they are pushing their tv's too. Consoles have always been marketed with buzzwords and things that are technically possible but not a core component.

Its a bit annoying but nothing we can do about it.

that's also my opinion, because PS4 Pro will be more about "smart" 4K than native 4K, at least that much I got from the conference.

And my recent experience of building a 4K gaming PC to hook up to my TV, is that a good 1440p upscale is indistinguishable from native 4K in most games. I was running many games in 4K at 60Hz now I've just set all games to 1440p at 60Hz. I simply can not tell the different at the distance I sit from the TV and the PC runs cooler.

Scorpio may (and we'll see what the reality is) take the technical highground with native 4K but the perceptible different is going to be way less than 1080p vs. 900p which was only really visible in a few games where the aliasing and post effects couldn't hide some tell tale signs. Of course if you're sitting on top of your 4K TV then you probably will see a difference.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-three-hours-with-playstation-4-pro

Time for predictions again! The secret sauce is a 4K-HDR version of the Amiga Blitter. :yep2:
I've got a scheme!
6-13.gif

Polaris just launched what 2 months ago on the pc and its coming out in a nov console
You got it backwards. Mark Cerny, our supreme ruler, designed Polaris and beyond, and let AMD use only the polaris part of his silicon masterpiece. He could have launched PS4 Pro months ago, but decided it wouldn't be fair to his inferior competition. PS5 is already done, according to rumors.

I have a i7 3770 with 32 gigs of ram and a radeon r9 290 .... so I do care a lot lol
:LOL:Mate, I was gonna preempt your predictable reply by writing (since you're so predictable)
eastman : "I have a more powerful PC"
OK fast forward to
scorpio launch
eastman: scorpio is the most powerful console in the universe
mirroreastman: But my PC is better
eastman: Doesnt count

repeat Ad infinitum

Sony was pretty adamant that PS4 Pro would not offer an advantage in multiplayer over core PS4, I'm not sure what MS would do but this isn't a reason to buy a PS4 Pro instead of a core PS4.
Huh? you might wanna read my post again, its ps4 vs xb1
though of course the ps4pro will have an advantage over the ps4, sony saying otherwise is them BShiting

:LOL:Mate, I was gonna preempt your predictable reply by writing (since you're so predictable)
eastman : "I have a more powerful PC"
OK fast forward to
scorpio launch
eastman: scorpio is the most powerful console in the universe
mirroreastman: But my PC is better
eastman: Doesnt count

repeat Ad infinitum

I have always been pc first even when I was little. My nes , genesis , super nes and so on were always more about playing with friends or having something to play when my father was using the pc for work.

Lately the console have been about multiplayer with my friends who aren't interested in pcs . However now with MS opening up live it will become really easy for my friends and I to play even when I'm on pc. I've already started playing my games strickly on my pc. Gears of war 4 will be the biggest test so far.

I'm excited for Scorpio because my friends will have a pretty good experience for a low price. Yes I will buy a $400-$600 vega early next year to go with a new zen or cpu and I will drop $1,500 or so on a new pc. My friends wont do that. But at $400-$500 they can get a premium console experience with scorpio

I heard some cable service up in Toronto is now regularly broadcasting the Mapleleafs and Raptors games in 4K HDR. But you need a fiber service and the signal is sent by IP.

If they did that down here in the US, I'd go buy a 4K HDR TV right now.

But you have to be careful, HDR is very much in flux. The UHD products require HDR10 support, which is some kind of metadata system to convey to the display how to display the content. Dolby has a proprietary system called Dolby Vision which enthusiasts say is much better because the design is dynamic. But some TV makers like Sony and Samsung have declined to license it. Sony just put out a $6000 65-inch TV and it doesn't have DV. Then there is a Dynamic version of HDR10 which is suppose to be coming.

On top of that, HDMI 2.1 is suppose to be imminent so probably good idea to wait for that before buying displays, players, AVRs, etc.
My place has the fiber service, and yea the TV is delivered through IPTV and through phone wires (same as internet), but it runs parallel so doesn't affect internet or vice versa.

You can get 4K sports channels but you have to pay extra for them of course (and have the TV...) haha. No HDR advertising for it.

My place has the fiber service, and yea the TV is delivered through IPTV and through phone wires (same as internet), but it runs parallel so doesn't affect internet or vice versa.

You can get 4K sports channels but you have to pay extra for them of course (and have the TV...) haha. No HDR advertising for it.

Hmm, okay, maybe they're "ready" for HDR but not using it yet.

I thought it was the same company Rogers but it's actually Bell CA which is touting an HDR-ready 4K DVR:

http://www.bell.ca/Fibe-TV/HD-PVR-Receivers?EXT=FTV_Off_URL_4K_bell4K_Acq_180116#4k

You got it backwards. Mark Cerny, our supreme ruler, designed Polaris and beyond, and let AMD use only the polaris part of his silicon masterpiece. He could have launched PS4 Pro months ago, but decided it wouldn't be fair to his inferior competition. PS5 is already done, according to rumors.

No no no! You have it all wrong too! The firmware to upgrade is already done. It's just waiting for NSA approval because it is so incredibly powerful it might be illegal if exported to foreign countries. Also Cerney's presence is simply a hologram being beamed into our minds from the dormant telepathic processing unit included in every PS4. No one knows why it had awoken early... Maybe it is trying to protect us. Maybe we are already lost within its virtual embrace

When do I get the PC version of this checkerboarding? It sounds interesting.
Play Rainbow Six Siege. It's doing a variation of the same thing.
Rainbow Six Siege was the first game to ship with the checkerboard rendering technique.

Check out Jalal's presentation slides from GDC 2016:
http://twvideo01.ubm-us.net/o1/vaul...s/El_Mansouri_Jalal_Rendering_Rainbow_Six.pdf

You need a few extra instructions for the gradient fixup (ddx+ddy+mul). You also need to use SampleGrad instead of HW sampler gradient calculation (just like you need to do with virtual texturing or with deferred texturing). The extra cost is negligible in common case, but repeated dependent reads (parallax mapping for example) could cause a small performance impact.

Checkerboard rendering is a good idea compared to half resolution rendering, since all checkerboard samples hit pixel centers. Half of your image is perfectly reconstructed. If you use ordered grid with half the sample count, you will end up with a sampling grid of (sqrt(1/2), sqrt(1/2)) spacing. This doesn't hit pixel centers, meaning that every pixel needs to be reconstructed in a lossy way (= linear/cubic blend = blur). Both ordered grid and checkerboard have similar coverage properties (checkerboard is 45 degrees rotated). To achieve better sampling properties, a better an unordered pattern would be needed (such as n-queens, halton, etc). However this again doesn't hit pixel centers, meaning that you need to reconstruct all the pixels (= linear/cubic blend = blur).

Clever reconstruction techniques, such as neural networks show huge potential (http://www.cv-foundation.org/openac...le_Image_Super-Resolution_2015_CVPR_paper.pdf). With techniques like this unordered sampling patterns should extract more info from the scene, meaning that they would eventually result in a better end result.

And my recent experience of building a 4K gaming PC to hook up to my TV, is that a good 1440p upscale is indistinguishable from native 4K in most games. I was running many games in 4K at 60Hz now I've just set all games to 1440p at 60Hz. I simply can not tell the different at the distance I sit from the TV and the PC runs cooler.

Scorpio may (and we'll see what the reality is) take the technical highground with native 4K but the perceptible different is going to be way less than 1080p vs. 900p which was only really visible in a few games where the aliasing and post effects couldn't hide some tell tale signs. Of course if you're sitting on top of your 4K TV then you probably will see a difference.

This didn't take too long...:p

I already can't see the difference between 720p vs 1080p on my 40" TV in my normal seating distance. Ok, maybe if there is an obivous long aliased edge/line I can kinda see the aliasing. 1080p without AA is perfectly good for me. So 4K is really pointless for me. Having said that, I do see the need for more than 1080p on my PC monitor.
Anyway, if I have to chose between 1080p60, 1080p30 with nicer image, and 4K (or 1080p downsampled from 4K), the last option is definitely a no. 60 vs 30 will depend on the type of game.
What I really want is HDR! That is definitely a game changer more than increasing the resolution. I just hope there'll be a 1080p display with HDR because I don't need a higher resolution than that. Now we know that the old PS4 can be patched for HDR support, I really hope someone will make a 1080p HDR display. What will likely happen tho is HDR will be limited for high end 4K display and they will never produce 1080p HDR display, so to enjoy HDR content you'll need to buy 4K display even if the content (in this case, a PS4) can only output 1080p.
Also according to DF article that there is more custom stuff on the Pro other than the checkerboard upscaler, which will be revealed in the upcoming weeks.
As for the reveal itself, it is really underwhelming for me, considering the focus on 4K and HDR, both which I can't perceive on any of my display.
Mark Cerny voice tho... so soothing...

Anyway, if I have to chose between 1080p60, 1080p30 with nicer image, and 4K (or 1080p downsampled from 4K), the last option is definitely a no. 60 vs 30 will depend on the type of game.

Yup, if the only choice is 2K-60 versus 4K-30, I'll go with 2K-60 every day of the week without a second thought. Heck if it's a choice between 2K-30 and 1.3K-60, I'll go with 1.3K-60 (720p) every single day of the week. Especially on TVs. On a PC thankfully, my options aren't limited to those and I can have 4K-60 as well since I'll disable all the effects that I absolutely hate in games as they are counter to what my eyes expect to see out of real moving images. But on PC, I usually game in a 2400x1500, 2560x1600, or 2560x1440 window at 60 FPS. I like being able to continue to multi-task while I play my games. :)

Regards,
SB

Back