Sony Playstation Meeting September 7 2016 [PS4 Slim, PS4 Pro, Rumors, Speculations, and News]

For me, it really comes down to my tv. My tv isn't that old and I don't want to replace it. It's 1080p and obviously not hdr. I kind of feel like I'd be missing out on too many of the advantages of the console. Spending money to upgrade just for a more stable framerate or maybe true 1080p just isn't worth it to me. PS4 Pro is actually more enticing for me because I don't have a playstation 4, so it would just allow me to play some of the games I'd like to play and haven't been able to. Scorpio will have to demonstrate some pretty meaningful improvements at 1080p for me to jump in. I'm not 100% sure that it will. But if I had a 4k hdr tv (or monitor), I'd probably be pretty excited about these boxes.

1.In theory, HDTV owners should benefit MORE in every single game on the pro.Games should have better graphics and framerate than anything 4K.The resolution and HDR is what is supposed to "wow" the 4K users.make no mistakes here
The "problem" is that devs can decide themselves how they'll use the additional power present in the pro.

2.The scorpio,while more powerful than the pro, is in fact the same mid-gen upgrade. It serves the exact same purpose as the pro. Its a given that games running in "4K" mode should have a better Image quality on Scorpio(or high end PC). However, I wouldn't be so sure that games in 1080P mode will look that much better on Scorpio.
A. Games still have to run on the Xbox one.
B.3rd party Devs are not going to put much time in yet another "mode".Forget it.

Exlusive games will shine and run better on both consoles so will some of the 3rd party games and IMO this is all that matters.

PlayStation Blog has a FAQ up about the PS4 Pro.

I'm curious as to whether or not the display in PSVR has any support for HDR. I'm not sure if that's been mentioned one way or the other yet (but then again I assume if it did support it they would have mentioned that at the meeting).

Which also happens to address my above question:

Also, the PS VR headset does not support HDR features.

Judging by this painfully boring PK (the silence in the auditorium was deafening), there seems to be virtually no reason to buy the bloody thing unless you have a 4K TV or maybe VR. Yeah, Shadows of Mordor supersampled. Iirc, SoM had pretty damn good image quality anyway.

I thought it was pretty much understood that the reason the Pro exists is because of PSVR and it's only an incremental upgrade in order to sell the system at a decent price point when combined with the price of the PSVR?

I guess the question is why didn't Sony spend more time on that message at this press conference with the PSVR coming in Oct? And I think we all know that's because they don't want to piss off their current user base by stating or implying that the regular PS4 and the new PS4 Slim won't be sufficient to provide what Sony believes is an optimal PSVR experience.

I thought it was pretty much understood that the reason the Pro exists is because of PSVR and it's only an incremental upgrade in order to sell the system at a decent price point when combined with the price of the PSVR?

Actually that's a good point...at £700 that's quite a nice VR setup I'd say!

Well the descended into a fanboy jizz fest quickly. :yep2:

Beyond3D Console Forums: setting the standard for logic fail on the interwebz.

1.In theory, HDTV owners should benefit MORE in every single game on the pro.Games should have better graphics and framerate than anything 4K.The resolution and HDR is what is supposed to "wow" the 4K users.make no mistakes here
The "problem" is that devs can decide themselves how they'll use the additional power present in the pro.

that's also my opinion, because PS4 Pro will be more about "smart" 4K than native 4K, at least that much I got from the conference.

I enjoy watching gaming news journalists finally understanding those mid-gen upgrades are not going to provide their stupidly hyped generational leap. Some are even showing signs of the stages of grief. A fertile imagination is beautiful until facts destroy dreams. The leaks were credible.

Next step will be when Eurogamer starts making comparative videos between PS4 Pro and Scorpio. We still have to suffer another 12 months of people making shit up.

Next step will be when Eurogamer starts making comparative videos between PS4 Pro and Scorpio. We still have to suffer another 12 months of people making shit up.
I'm sure DF are in an absolute fervour about the combinations of face offs they'll be able to do.

Was expecting the PS4 Pro to feature also an UHD Blu-ray drive. Though I don't own a 4K TV, it would've been nice for future proofing.
I'm not sure 4K streaming services are really an an alternative to 4K UltraHD Blu-ray discs. At least where I live, even 1080p movies are better available on discs if you want to watch something that's not at least a year old movie.
What recent 4K blu-ray movies are also available for streaming, for example in US? Is Revenant available, Deadpool, Martian...?

Right now, most of the 4K HDR streaming content appears to be shows that Netflix funds, so their exclusive shows.

I think they night have to pay additional for 4K streaming rights.

But some shows are being produced with 4K content. For instance, Better Call Saul probably broadcasts as 720p or 1080i on US cable but they're producing 4K prints for possible UHD Blu Ray or 4K streaming sites. Some enthusiasts say a good 4K stream is still only about as good as a good Blu Ray, because despite the wonders of the better H.265 codec, they're constraining the bit rate. HDR content is hit or miss on whether it improves PQ.

The studios are releasing UHD BR content but not really widely. Maybe that will change this Christmas.

A USB port in the back, at last. I like putting my camera in front while I am inserting my big hard drive in the back.

29246763030_7b636d9247_k.jpg

I was hoping (waiting) that PS4 Pro would have an UHD drive for my living room and man-cave purposes. I guess it's time to shop for some good UHD blu-ray standalone players.

New models should be introduced at CES in January. Those would be second gen players.

Also new UHD TVs capable of HDR.

It's going to be interesting to see how well PS4 Pro sells. Less than 10% of North American households have UHD TVs, and not all of them are even HDR capable. Market research expects 50% UHD adaptation to happen at 2020. And these are North American numbers. FullHD TVs got popular first in North America, it took several years for other continents to catch up.

The shown PS4 Pro games used the extra hardware resources mostly to hit as close to 4K output (+HDR output). 90%+ of customers have 1080p TVs (holiday this year). Downsampling from 4K down to 1080p gives you nice antialiasing. However if that's the only difference in most games, it's going to be hard to convince most consumers to upgrade. As a gamer, I would like 30 fps -> 60 fps upgrade more. But I understand that it is hard to double the frame rate, as the CPU received only a minor boost. And unfortunately double frame rate is not as sexy as 4K :(

Which study are those numbers from?

Not to dispute it but about 10 years ago, Sony touted 1080p for PS3 and a lot of detractors said it will take forever for 1080p market penetration in the US. At the time I recall weekly ads in newspapers already touting 1080p sets, even though people on this and other forums were saying the average consumers won't be looking for 1080p.

I think 1080p sales exceeded a lot of forecasts, because prices dropped quickly. Not saying it will happen again with 4K, especially since there's not a lot of 4k content, especially live sports. But 4k TVs don't carry a huge price premium and each year the premium diminishes. I'm guessing they will move a lot of 4K TVs on Black Thursday and the Christmas season overall.

Unless you buy an HDR capable display (they're all 4k), that HDR firmware upgrade is going to do nothing for you.
O'rly. what sorcery is that? :O

My projector is processing/outputting 10bit/channel already (and I actually think most projectors are processing more than 8 bit already), while a lot of screens still do 6bit dithered magic. hence I hope there is a way to get HDR working with my existing hardware. (Maybe I'll need a firmware upgrade for my projector as well, yet you'd be right that this might be unlikely ).
Otherwise, there are exactly 0 projectors with HDR support from what I see, and they might charge insane for it, although this would be a joke (as it's HDR internally already).

So now that the storm has passed.

DF guys seem very pleased with what they saw live. Obviusly YT streaming for showing off 4K content is not the best way to show this kind of stuff.

Most games look very, very good and that rendering technique es very promising.

Lack of 4K BR was a downer but i must admit i haven't bought a BR disk in a very long time.

What worries me a little bit is the short list of patched games. Let's how it develops.

Now i'm anxious to see this connected to a 4K tv and experience it first person. Most of the journalist that went to the show seemed very impressed with the quality of the picture.

For me, it really comes down to my tv. My tv isn't that old and I don't want to replace it. It's 1080p and obviously not hdr. I kind of feel like I'd be missing out on too many of the advantages of the console. Spending money to upgrade just for a more stable framerate or maybe true 1080p just isn't worth it to me. PS4 Pro is actually more enticing for me because I don't have a playstation 4, so it would just allow me to play some of the games I'd like to play and haven't been able to. Scorpio will have to demonstrate some pretty meaningful improvements at 1080p for me to jump in. I'm not 100% sure that it will. But if I had a 4k hdr tv (or monitor), I'd probably be pretty excited about these boxes.

I heard some cable service up in Toronto is now regularly broadcasting the Mapleleafs and Raptors games in 4K HDR. But you need a fiber service and the signal is sent by IP.

If they did that down here in the US, I'd go buy a 4K HDR TV right now.

But you have to be careful, HDR is very much in flux. The UHD products require HDR10 support, which is some kind of metadata system to convey to the display how to display the content. Dolby has a proprietary system called Dolby Vision which enthusiasts say is much better because the design is dynamic. But some TV makers like Sony and Samsung have declined to license it. Sony just put out a $6000 65-inch TV and it doesn't have DV. Then there is a Dynamic version of HDR10 which is suppose to be coming.

On top of that, HDMI 2.1 is suppose to be imminent so probably good idea to wait for that before buying displays, players, AVRs, etc.

Back