Advanced Audio Technologies (HRTF, Dolby Atmos, etc) *echo*

Dolby atmos for headphones tries to do that. I think it works better than most virtual surround I've heard. Overwatch uses it on pc. Still not totally convincing. Their hrtf may work better for some people than others.

Just been playing Uncharted 3 with Sony's 7.1 headphones. The spatiality is good, but it's not applied to the background audio which is a stereo recording. Haven't heard anything able to emulate the up-close-to-the-ear experience though. I think when bullets can whiz past your ear, that'd be quite the experience.

We also had this discussion at length in the "next gen audio" thread, in the optimistic days before the consoles released with ordinary audio.

It does fairly well with height too. If Pharah flies above you, you can position her above pretty well. Same with players that are fighting on terrain above you.

Having played some Titanfall 2, it's very clear to me that any game with headphone support should have virtual stereo like Atmos for Headphones or DTS Headphone:X. Coming from Overwatch, the difference was huge. Hopefully that becomes standard in the future.

Microsoft posted survey in the Xbox Preview Dashboard asking about TV & audio setups. It did get into talking Atmos & 7 speaker setups.

Tommy McClain

I made sure to answer that I had all the top end equipment. It seemed a bit odd in the one spot when they asked about the top signal the equipment supported, as if high end AVRs wouldnt support both. I hope they dont use think amps only do one or the other. I hope they dont take the common users response as reason to not have proper audio support.

Actually I thought about doing that myself, but ended up filling it out correctly. Don't have a high end receiver(Dolby Digital/DTS with 5.1 speakers) or TV(1080p).

Tommy McClain

Well I only have a Denon AVR-X3000 setup with a 7.1 speaker setup in the Rec-Room. It's capable of doing DTS Neo:X and Dolby Pro Logic IIz and can support a 7.2 setup. It will also do 4K Ultra-HD (and upscaling) but I only have a 1080p Pannasonic Plasma so that feature currently goes unused. It doesn't handle Dolby Atmos or DTS X, but I know my next AVR absolutely will so I hedged my bets when answering the survey that way.

SideNote: In the Rec-Room the side and rear speakers are attached to the walls where they meet the ceiling at 7 feet height, so not the standard setup. However it has Audyssey DSX auto configuration so the hopefully the speaker placement should be corrected for. It was about the only way to have it setup out of the way.

Positional audio for stereo headphones is a lot more interesting to me, than a setup that requires special atmos speakers with top-firing drivers, or mounting speakers on my ceiling.

Yeah whatever benefits, I just can't see the hassle of adding more speakers. If I had a dedicated theater room, maybe I'd care more.

Well that and a lot of content I watch is TV rather than discs so pointless to have a 7 or 9 or more speaker setup.

Well I can see dead people, so... *Shrug*
:D i see them buried together, beat that!!

As I mentioned in a different thread where I praised its goods, I got the Acer Aspire R 11 R3-131T :love::love:, a laptop I am really really liking so much. And that video sounds as if you had your headphones on.

The trick is that when I go to bed I place on my belly, and the aforementioned ultrabook/tablet PC/2on1 , whatever you prefer to call it, has the right and left speakers in the front (to the right and the left respectively), below the keyboard.

Since it has the width of my belly it's placed perpendicular to my body, and the sound on the right sounds well to the right, the sound on the left sounds in my left ear. For me that's one of the best things about this humble laptop where I am writing this message, I can hear exactly from where the sound is coming.

edit: I had listened to the video you shared through my headphones a few days ago. Right now I am listening to it live on my laptop. :) For reference, the guy starts speaking in the right speaker, then he goes further and further away -both speakers-, then he comes back and sounds to the left.... Amazing tech and video

Last edited:
so atm, if I have a atmos capable avr + xbone s, I can not take advantage of atmos track when I set my audio to pcm? I know the xbone s doesn't have atmos bitstream support yet but irc, ps3 early days can internally convert dts HD to pcm and you would get the same quality.

so atm, if I have a atmos capable avr + xbone s, I can not take advantage of atmos track when I set my audio to pcm? I know the xbone s doesn't have atmos bitstream support yet but irc, ps3 early days can internally convert dts HD to pcm and you would get the same quality.

Dolby Atmos and DTS:X are object-oriented. So, instead of sounds being attached to channels they are mapped to points in space. For the XBOne to steer the sounds to where they need to go, it would need to know where all of your speakers are and then process (not just decode) the data to send the proper sound levels to each channel.

Dolby Atmos and DTS:X are object-oriented. So, instead of sounds being attached to channels they are mapped to points in space. For the XBOne to steer the sounds to where they need to go, it would need to know where all of your speakers are and then process (not just decode) the data to send the proper sound levels to each channel.

Doesn't the receiver do that?

The reason why they don't support those sound formats right now is ... they haven't implemented them? It's weird.

From what I understand, then take the source audio, mix in the notification/os sounds and then encode them into older dolby/dts formats. Seems like just a matter of implementing the new audio formats, which they seem to have no intent in doing. Can't think of a hardware limitation.

Doesn't the receiver do that?

It has a DSP to do it, though. If the XBOne had to do this on the CPU or GPU in realtime (if it were even possible) it would make disk playback a lot less power-efficient.

There's no strictly-defined speaker layout for those formats, either. I only have the two additional ceiling mounted speakers for Atmos/DTS-X and my receiver asks me to select where, of the 3 (IIRC) possible positions, I mounted them so when it wants to put a sound on my upper right at 10 degrees it knows how much of the sound to put on the Right-Front and how much to put on the Top-Center-Right and how to delay the sound to each so it seems like it is coming from the exact right spot.

Back