What are your future platform purchase plans post E3 2016?

What hardware platform(s) will you be investing in in the next 18 months?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes
7847068342_9aca0a51c5_z.jpg

Tommy McClain

I'm hungry.

Regards,
SB

PC, PSVR and Neo for me. I recently invested in a new PC which may mean I buy some things on Steam rather than PSN but PSVR is really where my interest lies.
my wallet is getting nailed hard. I've set aside the money for a 1080, but I just can't pull the trigger. The amount is just so vast. At my age and my family situation, 2 toddlers, I just don't see how I can be setting aside that amount for limited gaming time.

It's killing me. I'm 80% there with my PC. Rift, Gsync Monitor, and CPU. Just waiting on that monster GPU. I'm almost tempted to just ride it out with xbox one for 5 more years, but it's certainly obvious won't be getting another console.

my wallet is getting nailed hard. I've set aside the money for a 1080, but I just can't pull the trigger. The amount is just so vast. At my age and my family situation, 2 toddlers, I just don't see how I can be setting aside that amount for limited gaming time.

It's killing me. I'm 80% there with my PC. Rift, Gsync Monitor, and CPU. Just waiting on that monster GPU. I'm almost tempted to just ride it out with xbox one for 5 more years, but it's certainly obvious won't be getting another console.

If you can't wait the 1070 is a good compromise. If you can wait, I'd wait until AMD releases more (well any) of their lineup and then see where the prices for various performance categories end up. And then choose a price and performance level that you like. If AMD are competitive and continue with aggressive pricing, Nvidia may potentially lower prices somewhat. If they aren't then nothing changes and all you've lost is a little bit of time (or a lot depending on when Vega makes it to the public). :)

Regards,
SB

If you can't wait the 1070 is a good compromise. If you can wait, I'd wait until AMD releases more (well any) of their lineup and then see where the prices for various performance categories end up. And then choose a price and performance level that you like. If AMD are competitive and continue with aggressive pricing, Nvidia may potentially lower prices somewhat. If they aren't then nothing changes and all you've lost is a little bit of time (or a lot depending on when Vega makes it to the public). :)

Regards,
SB
I made the stupid mistake of buying into g-sync =(. It's amazing but I locked eco-system which I didn't want to do. But I totally hear you. I have an SLI mobo and trying to determine if it would be wise to buy another used 660 SLI and hope that G-sync works away the micro stutter. I would be close to 970 performance, but we're talking at a fraction of cost.

Bumping this in light of new information and to comment that I ended up selling my XBOne to a friend at the trade-in price and getting an XBOne S after all. Net cost to me was $150 to add a UHD Blu-ray player + 4K streaming box plus the MS store tossed in Watch_Dogs (the least unappealing of the options for a free game) and a $50 store credit as well.

MS has the most friendly upgrade path forward looking and backwards. I am also tempted to toss the D1 XBO in light of a XBO S. Need that Kinect adaptor though.

But still contemplating if going pure PC is better. I do enjoy couch gaming a lot more than we'll ever before. I suppose it would be effortless to buy a long enough HDMI cable to push to a 4K tv and resolve those issues.

Honestly don't know. decisions decisions. Not sure how much I want to spend on gaming at my age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My vote remains unchanged. PC. Neo and PSVR. PSVR is pre-ordered for day 1, Neo will be too. The PS4 will be heading to my office.

I don't remember what I said but the lack of UHD BR really dampens it for me.

The HDR games would really have to blow me away, especially enough for me to buy a UHD HDR display.

Andrew House was on CNBC saying the number one use of the console was games followed by streaming video. Use of packaged media on their consoles was way down in comparison.

IThe HDR games would really have to blow me away, especially enough for me to buy a UHD HDR display.
HDR is a much bigger deal than 4K. You need to head down to a local electronics store where you can see HDR in action but I do fear overuse in games and lots of contrived environments. Remember bloom and lens flare? Dear God. :runaway:

I don't remember what I said but the lack of UHD BR really dampens it for me.

The HDR games would really have to blow me away, especially enough for me to buy a UHD HDR display.

Andrew House was on CNBC saying the number one use of the console was games followed by streaming video. Use of packaged media on their consoles was way down in comparison.
Andrew house is probably dead on correct about that.

Except no one wants more devices on their console/tv stand than there needs to be. Even if you don't use it often, it's nice to not have to get a full other device just for 4K BR, even if money is no object, people do appreciate efficiency.

HDR is a much bigger deal than 4K. You need to head down to a local electronics store where you can see HDR in action but I do fear overuse in games and lots of contrived environments. Remember bloom and lens flare? Dear God. :runaway:

Yeah but the HDR situation is unsettled. This is the first year they've pushed HDR content. So there are some really bright TVs now.

For UHD Blu Ray, they approved HDR10 and Dolby Vision. At AVS Forum, people say DV is much better. However, Samsung and Sony won't license DV. Plus HDR10 is getting an extension to support dynamic display of HDR like DV.

It remains to be seen which HDR format will win out for content.

That's why I haven't jumped in yet. That and it would help if they broadcast any 4K shows.

No plans. I haven't turned on my xb1 in months.

If the Xbox S gets bitstream out for UHD BR and it reviews well, I'll pick one up for UHD BR playback. I was hoping Neo would be that as I mentioned before, I have way more faith in Sony executing a top notch BR player (PS3) than Microsoft but lolz happened so here we are.....

As for games, my PC is so far ahead that the rare gaming I do now, I rather use that. I haven't seen any compelling VR software yet that even excites me to demo VR never mind consider a purchase.

I did just realize that Star Citizen may actually come out within a year or two. My kick starter will finally arrive.
I suppose I have to go PC.

I will TIV my OG XBO for a S though. $179 CAD for a player is a decent price. I just need to shop around for a TV.

I do have to somewhat support VR gaming. My oculus is doing nothing.

No plans. I haven't turned on my xb1 in months.

If the Xbox S gets bitstream out for UHD BR and it reviews well, I'll pick one up for UHD BR playback. I was hoping Neo would be that as I mentioned before, I have way more faith in Sony executing a top notch BR player (PS3) than Microsoft but lolz happened so here we are.....

As for games, my PC is so far ahead that the rare gaming I do now, I rather use that. I haven't seen any compelling VR software yet that even excites me to demo VR never mind consider a purchase.
Bitstream out on audio you mean? Or are you looking for a specific codec? Pretty sure XBO does bitstream over HDMI and toslink.

I think he's most likely looking for BitStreaming of Dolby Atmos used on most (all?) UHD BluRays.

Yeah but the HDR situation is unsettled. This is the first year they've pushed HDR content. So there are some really bright TVs now.

It's so weird, they're pushing these standards with PS4, PS4 Pro, Xbox S, but the TV situation is not close to settled. I think this is worse than when HDTV was just getting started, because at least then you knew what you wanted.

As of now there is no inexpensive (by my definition, not "hey it's only 1k" ), 50"+, HDR+4k+low lag TV's. And it's kind of a complex situation. I paid something like $400 for my 55" 1080P (on a holiday sale, lots of discounts etc) and it's a brand known for decent quality I mean I suppose if you aren't a videophile which I'm not.

And then to top it off they're unclear on the 1080P enhancements.

Anyways I know I've been in this thread before, but my current plans are pretty unchanged, so far no S, holding out for Scorpio next year. On the Pc side I've now got a pretty good PC rig, with a i5 6600K, 16 GB RAM, and a RX 480. So far VR hasn't enticed me to spend the $ though. I've got a Gear VR now that my phone supports it, and the little I've messed with it was pretty terrible.

Back