PS4 Pro Official Specifications (Codename NEO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I took their HDR announcement is that they will support HDR 1080p signal on PS4 and PS4 Slim. It is only the PS4 Pro that will support HDR 4K signals.

So if MS wanted they could add HDR for games on the fat XB1 too?

Tommy McClain

Not necessarily. They may be using a different IC to output HDMI that is not as programmable.
this was what I was looking for! Thanks and makes sense.

So if the PS4 Slim does not support 4K output, this is really a dead in the water console with everyone moving to 4K, making Neo the only obvious choice for future purchases with newer TVs.

edit: PS4 Slim confirmed does not support 4K.

Also, from the other thread, it officially does NOT support UHD 4K BluRay playback.
That single one assures that I won't fucking buy one. I mean... Seriously, Sony? What the fuck.

I knew Cerny was fucking high as a kite during the event (he sounds like the worst reefer addict every time he speaks publically), but during design of this thing as well? And Sony Pictures had no say either...? I suppose the 3 pennies they could save on not including this feature outweighed the massive consumer benefit of including it.

Or perhaps the intent is to simply kill off physical format movies completely through slow suffocation and force everyone to go streaming instead... *shrug* Gods know I would save absolutely massive amounts of shelf space getting rid of my disc movie collection... (And spend roughly a billion dollars re-buying everything digitally... *facepalm* NOT gonna happen, I think!)

Kinda surprised. Was it that hard to implement?
Supposedly the drive needs some minor modifications to the optical block but as far as I am aware this is not expensive. The bigger expense would be an additional DSP on the drive controller for the move from 25 to 33 per layer. Sony said the iMLSE technique is very processing intensive. So much that they couldn't implement it until a few years ago.

The biggest unknown I think is the licensing costs, because sony isn't the only member of bluray, owners of high profile h265 and all the audio formats might have been asking a lot?

It's definitely weird. But the absolute focus on games was a good move for the PS4, maybe they continued the same philosophy.

How much does it add? A few dollars.
Does it help gaming? Nope.
Skip it.

Must have been a difficult decision for Sony, but launching in 2016 for 399 with a 4.2TF console when the competition is at 1.4TF for 349, the decision is rather easy to justify.

One thing that sucks is they don't get 60fps Elderscrolls, Fallouts, MassEffects, Witchers, etc. They have to settle for downsampled 1080p or 4K. At least with PC you have options to go for higher framerate. Though I guess they have their hands tied otherwise anything that effects gameplay even in single player might create animosity among the early adopters who probably have the highest software attachrates. But without the ability to access higher frame-rates they aren't really effectively combatting the threat of PC gaming.

One thing that sucks is they don't get 60fps Elderscrolls, Fallouts, MassEffects, Witchers, etc. They have to settle for downsampled 1080p or 4K. At least with PC you have options to go for higher framerate. Though I guess they have their hands tied otherwise anything that effects gameplay even in single player might create animosity among the early adopters who probably have the highest software attachrates. But without the ability to access higher frame-rates they aren't really effectively combatting the threat of PC gaming.
That's not true, the games are detecting if you are in 1080p or 4K, and they change the game rendering for each resolution. The only exception is multiplayer games, they must have the same frame rate between PS4 and Pro for competitve multiplayer fairness.

That's not true, the games are detecting if you are in 1080p or 4K, and they change the game rendering for each resolution. The only exception is multiplayer games, they must have the same frame rate between PS4 and Pro for competitve multiplayer fairness.
Didn't they mention downsampling for 1080p displays?

Didn't they mention downsampling for 1080p monitors?
They said it's up to the devs. It's one way to do it. There were a few interviews with devs after the conference. They talked about downsampling being not ideal, and it's better to detect and render in 1080p with better visuals and/or better frame rate. Except for competitive multiplayer games, obviously.

I knew Cerny was fucking high as a kite during the event (he sounds like the worst reefer addict every time he speaks publically), but during design of this thing as well? And Sony Pictures had no say either...? I suppose the 3 pennies they could save on not including this feature outweighed the massive consumer benefit of including it.
I don't know the finer details of implementation for the standard, but for the overall architecture Cerny directed the peculiarities of the optical drive could have been abstracted. It might be an accounting or market positioning decision, or something off about the situation around the console. I don't know if Cerny would have the authority to push the overall strategy at the corporate strategy level. As for Sony Pictures, I thought they financially don't have as much to be proud of and it's possible they wouldn't benefit enough to offset the burden put on gaming--which is one of the few bright spots for Sony overall.

If Cerny did nix the drive and the movie division protested, he'd have a firm record of success to push back with.

I could swear the OG PS4 has HDMI 2.0.
I dunno. They shipped with 1.4. Unless they are specifically meant to be upgraded. I guess we should wait on more details

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder how that will work for games that drop from a target frame rate like BF1 that's aiming for 60, but suffers drops. I assume the restriction won't apply and on Pro the drops should be less frequent if not eliminated.

I could swear the OG PS4 has HDMI 2.0.

It was definitely 1.4(b?).

I suspect that what Sony will be doing is re-configuring the HDMI chip in the old PS4s to communicate using HDMI 2.0a protocols but restrict the formats they send out to never exceed the actual bandwidth limitations of the physical interface.

An interesting snippet from Eurogamer's coverage:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-three-hours-with-playstation-4-pro

Speaking to developers on site, several aspects of the checkerboard technology came into focus. Up until now, we've seen it as a software post-process upscale, but in actual fact, it's one of a number of new custom features backed into the PS4 Pro's GPU and as such comes with zero cost to game developers. We also understand that while it is a hardware feature, game-makers do seem to have a certain level of control - which may perhaps explain why different games exhibit varying levels of artefacting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back