Middle Generation Console Upgrade Discussion [Scorpio, 4Pro]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the success of the PS4 showed that games really are the most important thing.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268781

AMD had this slide

AMD-Vega-1H-2017-900x501.jpg

And now we know why Scorpio is launching in 2H 2017...

I'm absolutely loving my XBO since I set it p as my all in one box. I hope they keep HDMI in and One guide and the OTA antenna adapter.

The XBO OS bogs down a little bit sometimes, with all Scorpio's juice it would be nice to make it smoother.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268781

AMD had this slide

AMD-Vega-1H-2017-900x501.jpg

And now we know why Scorpio is launching in 2H 2017...

I'm absolutely loving my XBO since I set it p as my all in one box. I hope they keep HDMI in and One guide and the OTA antenna adapter.

The XBO OS bogs down a little bit sometimes, with all Scorpio's juice it would be nice to make it smoother.
Wait... That slide makes Scorpio definitive vega?

There could be a lot of reasons why it would be 2H 2017. Not everything has to be architecture based.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait... That slide makes Scorpio definitive vega?

There could be a lot of reasons why it would be 2H 2017. Not everything has to be architecture based.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt that slide makes it Vega . however I dunno what they would be waiting on till Q4 2017 to launch with Polaris that is avalible now. Even Zen is ready for Q4 2016 according to AMD.

Waiting on Vega makes sense since there will be other improvements to it that can help with 4k

Yeah, Scorpio will presumably have a lot more CU's than Polaris 10, right?

I mean if AMD was ready with a 14nm finfet GPU with more 4th gen GCN CU's than RX 480, regardless what you call it, they'd have launched it on the desktop, rather than sitting with nothing to compete with Nvidia's high end for many months.

Yeah, Scorpio will presumably have a lot more CU's than Polaris 10, right?

I mean if AMD was ready with a 14nm finfet GPU with more 4th gen GCN CU's than RX 480, regardless what you call it, they'd have launched it on the desktop, rather than sitting with nothing to compete with Nvidia's high end for many months.

I'd think it would have more of everything. And yes AMD would release even a Polaris with more CU's and Rops if it was avalible right now.
The rx 480 with half the rops keeps up with the 390. So it would be interesting to see what happens with double the rops on Polaris . I would wonder even if they increased the Rops further. Of course the design needs balance so everything will be tweaked higher. But I doubt we see a super clocked GPU before we see a wider one

Do when no which generation of GCN the Zen APUs will use yet?

It tends to lag a little bit, iirc. Zen APU will hopefully be Vega generation, but could end up being Polaris gen.

Hopefully Scorpio will use the latest and greatest. (Hopefully Neo is doing too!)

What would be nice is if you could boot up the Scorpio to ONLY function as a PC with ALL the resources devoted to Windows 10 (or any other OS you wanted to install). Or, on the other hand, you could boot up to function in console mode. If a console was made this diverse, it would outsell all the competition.

What would be nice is if you could boot up the Scorpio to ONLY function as a PC with ALL the resources devoted to Windows 10 (or any other OS you wanted to install). Or, on the other hand, you could boot up to function in console mode. If a console was made this diverse, it would outsell all the competition.

even better, if it can switch back and forth between fullblown windows mode and xbox mode (maybe by hibernating whichever goes unused).

gaming console, Gaming PC, media center, rendering computer, etc, whatever only need one thing: Xbox One Scorpio.

but in the far future where everything is available in UWP, i guess fullblown windows mode will no longer be needed. Most people doesnt need to have the high customisability of full blown windows for most of their needs (ms office, media consumption)

It tends to lag a little bit, iirc. Zen APU will hopefully be Vega generation, but could end up being Polaris gen.

http://videocardz.com/62250/amd-vega10-and-vega11-gpus-spotted-in-opencl-driver

SI: TAHITI
CI / GFX7: MILOS, KRYPTOS, HAWAII, NEVIS, PENNAR, BONAIRE, Kabini
VI / GFX8: ICELAND, TONGA, CARRIZO, BERMUDA, racerx, FIJI
GFX81: AMUR, STONEY, ELLESMERE, DERECHO
GFX9: GREENLAND, RAVEN1X, VEGA10, VEGA11

The OpenCL driver shows GFX8.1 for Ellesmere (Polaris 10) and 3 others: Amur, Stoney and Derecho. Stoney is probably from Stoney Ridge (duh) and "Derecho" must be Bristol Ridge. They both have hardware H265 acceleration and AFAIR they also have AMD's 2nd-gen color compression, just like Polaris. Amur was the codename for a 20nm APU was cancelled in 2015.

GFX9 is Vega 10, Vega 11, Greenland (which should be on a Zen 16-core + 2-stack HBM2 + quad-channel DDR4 behemoth APU for HPC) and Raven1X.
I'd say Raven1X is probably what we'll be seeing in consumer Zen APUs.

http://videocardz.com/62250/amd-vega10-and-vega11-gpus-spotted-in-opencl-driver

The OpenCL driver shows GFX8.1 for Ellesmere (Polaris 10) and 3 others: Amur, Stoney and Derecho. Stoney is probably from Stoney Ridge (duh) and "Derecho" must be Bristol Ridge. They both have hardware H265 acceleration and AFAIR they also have AMD's 2nd-gen color compression, just like Polaris. Amur was the codename for a 20nm APU was cancelled in 2015.

GFX9 is Vega 10, Vega 11, Greenland (which should be on a Zen 16-core + 2-stack HBM2 + quad-channel DDR4 behemoth APU for HPC) and Raven1X.
I'd say Raven1X is probably what we'll be seeing in consumer Zen APUs.

Cheers! I hope you're onto something there.

From the architecture thread, it appears that after improvements in geometry pipeline and colour compression, it's the ROPs that are most in need of an overhaul and I was hoping Vega (GFX9 as you say) would bring that.

I hope those HPU APUs come to the high end consumer market. You could build some ballin' small form factor PCs with them. Was actually hoping that's what Scorpio might be, but the Scorpio render and BW figures put the kibosh on that.

So do you guys think 60FPS will be more or less a standard for Project Scorpio? Assuming Zen based CPU cores and rendering techniques like checkerboard rendering, temporal reconstructions, dynamic resolution and/or sub-4K rendering like 3200x1800 upscaled to 4K I guess its possible? Its supposed to be a premium product after all.

Sure. But are devs going to target 60FPS in most cases? I guess thats a "who knows, we have to wait and see" kind of thing.

Nobody but devs know and devs aren't talking, but I can tell you this for certain. Devs are lazy bastards. True fact. :yep2:

So do you guys think 60FPS will be more or less a standard for Project Scorpio? Assuming Zen based CPU cores and rendering techniques like checkerboard rendering, temporal reconstructions, dynamic resolution and/or sub-4K rendering like 3200x1800 upscaled to 4K I guess its possible? Its supposed to be a premium product after all.

No. Similar to neo I expect whatever the fps on the base version (Xbox One) to remain the same in terms what the developers target. It's the resolution that will be the difference.

This is not the thread for what should MS do next or how should MS react to Sony.

60 fps could bring new bugs, need more testing => no.
Some games probably will. Creation Engine used in Fallout 4 and Skyrim had no problem supporting 60fps. And Todd Howard mentioned 60fps and also mentioned VR during the E3 Scorpio dev video. If a game engine can support VR it is probably competent at running at 60fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back