Best water rendering effects *spawn

Yup.

Oh, I also liked water in Tomb Raider: AOD. The water mesh was quite low in polygons, but I liked the way it looked/moved, as well as the refraction and reflections:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep that's it so good :D

Same area I was thinking of too, it's the first area after the intro level, the warp zone area.

Very nice AOD, water surface looks really nice.

But water has no static!
It does if you put a toaster in it ^^

This is my favourite water in all games. The water surface is not super amazing, but it feels very artistic.

A bit too "gel" like on the surface, and not really any refractions/distortion effects on surface, but the overall effect when you dive (then it has distortion) in the water is really amazing especially for that time, 2001 game on 2000 hardware :D

They did the little particle effect/water splashes in a really interesting way.

Last edited:
BF4 water is very nice, I didn't take many screens specifically for it though.

28130497250_c806087d73_k_d.jpg
28294012681_2bc5c6ed12_k_d.jpg

It reacts pretty nicely to character and vehicle movement too, lots of waviness. Also looks better with the anti-pee filter ;)

Why do I sometimes feel like I was the only person who noticed the original FEAR's impressive 3D water tech used in a few specific places?

AFAIK neither FEAR 2 or 3 featured this anywhere. The limited use of it in FEAR 1 probably meant it might've been too CPU intensive for it's time when running AI, large amounts of physicalized objects all at once. It would explain why it was kept to small little areas.
Damn. I am just seeing this for the first time. Somehow I failed to notice this when doing a run through of the game 1.5 years ago and paying attention to its rendering tech (it also has lit particles among a lot of other cool tech, like ray marched volumetric lights and merged 1st and 3rd person assets + animations).

Visually, not technically. Except physics really haven't improved.

Like Sea of thieves up there, the water looks like jelly.
are you a sailor? Assassin's Creed (4 specially, I think) water is also good, for instance, and the effect doesn't look jelly-like to me in that game.

On a different note, water effects aside...

Is The Witcher 3 the model in the effect of wind? TW3 is amazing. It manages to make the wind visible, it actually transmits cold and hostility while everything shakes.

Have you ever experienced the uncanny valley effect... with (virtual) water? :-/ It happened to me a long time ago while watching a video showing water in the first Gears of Wars, IIRC. They were shooting at the water and I felt so uncomfortable...

Have you ever experienced the uncanny valley effect... with (virtual) water? :-/ It happened to me a long time ago while watching a video showing water in the first Gears of Wars, IIRC. They were shooting at the water and I felt so uncomfortable...
your experience seems a very personal one. Water in games, whatever the quality, gets into my nerves, as if it feels real, if the character I am playing is drowning. In that sense I had a lot of FEAR when playing Skyrim and started swimming in the deep. There were fish that could bite you and in the water it is very hard to spot them. Fear is the word, the same fear I feel IRL when it comes to the sea or deep places....

Some 2D games are more about hurting your character if you touch the water.. I think the reason for that is that water is dirty because water is where the fishes fuc*. :LOL:

your experience seems a very personal one. Water in games, whatever the quality, gets into my nerves, as if it feels real, if the character I am playing is drowning. In that sense I had a lot of FEAR when playing Skyrim and started swimming in the deep. There were fish that could bite you and in the water it is very hard to spot them. Fear is the word, the same fear I feel IRL when it comes to the sea or deep places....
Well, I understand that feeling. As much as I love the sea, I don't feel comfortable if I can't see what's below me. That is why despite liking lakes I wouldn't swim in them... or despite liking swimming in the sea, I would feel uneasy swimming in the deep sea.

However, I don't feel the same in videogames, so what I said in my previous post is a different thing, as you noted. :)

Some 2D games are more about hurting your character if you touch the water.. I think the reason for that is that water is dirty because water is where the fishes fuc*. :LOL:
Le lol! XD

Back