PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like it. 350W PSU or thereabouts, with a system TDP of 250W.

Assuming the rumoured 4.2tf/2.1GHz Jaguar and nothing else in the box to use any more power I think that a touch high.

OG PS3 had 380W but used 210W max and quickly lowered.
OG PS4 had 250W and used 150W max.

So for me with the above specs I'd say no more than 300W PSU with max 170W power consumption.

Assuming the rumoured 4.2tf/2.1GHz Jaguar and nothing else in the box to use any more power I think that a touch high.

OG PS3 had 380W but used 210W max and quickly lowered.
OG PS4 had 250W and used 150W max.

So for me with the above specs I'd say no more than 300W PSU with max 170W power consumption.

Supposing that's true, then they made a mistake in designing Neo. With only 20W more TDP than OG PS4, they had to increase the height by 3cm and weight by 10lbs to accommodate that?

I think once they chose to go with the 'big box' option, it behooves them to utilize the full TDP potential of it. As in something above 200W.

Supposing that's true, then they made a mistake in designing Neo. With only 20W more TDP than OG PS4, they had to increase the height by 3cm and weight by 10lbs to accommodate that?

I think once they chose to go with the 'big box' option, it behooves them to utilize the full TDP potential of it. As in something above 200W.
You're all forgetting the third parameter - noise. There's power/heat, size, and noise. Yes, with an increase in size over PS4 they can accommodate more heat so more power than PS4, but at the same noise output.

Imagine PS4 launched in 2012 with the normal version and also a Silent version. What would the difference be in the Silent model to enable that? Think large, chunky, probably 'expensive amp' looking console with a price premium to cover bulky, silent dissipation of 150 W heat, no (like the big-ass XB1!)?

So we may yet see that the changes in size aren't just to enable an increase in power but also to reduce the noise profile of the device.

As Shifty Geezer says it could just be for more silent operation like OG One. If this Foxconn leak is correct with the height it will be near identical to the OG One at ~8 cm so not that big.

As Shifty Geezer says it could just be for more silent operation like OG One. If this Foxconn leak is correct with the height it will be near identical to the OG One at ~8 cm so not that big.

You're all forgetting the third parameter - noise. There's power/heat, size, and noise. Yes, with an increase in size over PS4 they can accommodate more heat so more power than PS4, but at the same noise output.

Imagine PS4 launched in 2012 with the normal version and also a Silent version. What would the difference be in the Silent model to enable that? Think large, chunky, probably 'expensive amp' looking console with a price premium to cover bulky, silent dissipation of 150 W heat, no (like the big-ass XB1!)?

So we may yet see that the changes in size aren't just to enable an increase in power but also to reduce the noise profile of the device.

I think Sony has shown they're not afraid of a little noise and heat, unlike MS who are deathly afraid of another RROD debacle. That's because Sony is more in tune/concerned with the implications of having a larger and heavier console, the costs of which extend all the way down to retail. They're not likely to prioritize sound, that's not their M.O.

As far as I can tell the noise of OG PS4 varies on the build quality. I wouldn't say mine is loud at all. If Neo can be as loud as PS4 but bigger I'd find that very acceptable.

if this is also one of their UHD players perhaps this as you say noise is a focus. A good size also would make it fit with being more powerful compared to the PS4.

4.4Tflops sounds about right.

I'm not even concerned about wether they have a new game to show this off....BF1 running at 1440p @60fps would be pretty sweet.

I think Sony has shown they're not afraid of a little noise and heat, unlike MS who are deathly afraid of another RROD debacle.
PS4 had plenty of failures too. Let's not perpetuate that biased fallacy. And Sony has also shown they like quiet as well as being willing to engage in loud, while we certainly know people don't like loud consoles on the whole even if they're willing to tolerate them.
That's because Sony is more in tune/concerned with the implications of having a larger and heavier console, the costs of which extend all the way down to retail. They're not likely to prioritize sound, that's not their M.O.
How can Sony have an MO for 'mid gen premium consoles' when this is their first? We've no idea exactly where they're positioning Neo. Is it a monster gaming platform for gamers, or a 4K 'only does everything' machine for gaming and (silent) media consumption? The possibility exists for both, so the explanation for the significant size increase cannot be categorically attributed to high power alone yet.

maxresdefault.jpg

:)

PS4 had plenty of failures too. Let's not perpetuate that biased fallacy. And Sony has also shown they like quiet as well as being willing to engage in loud, while we certainly know people don't like loud consoles on the whole even if they're willing to tolerate them.
How can Sony have an MO for 'mid gen premium consoles' when this is their first? We've no idea exactly where they're positioning Neo. Is it a monster gaming platform for gamers, or a 4K 'only does everything' machine for gaming and (silent) media consumption? The possibility exists for both, so the explanation for the significant size increase cannot be categorically attributed to high power alone yet.

Any of their consoles that weren't slim revisions since PS2 have at least been, er, audible at a distance. None as quiet as Xbone.

The possibility for both exists, but I just don't think the quiet option is the likely one.

4.2TF would show confidence. A steady personality. Fearless. Secure about who they are.

Was the XBone's 1.3TF also a show of confidence? How about the Wii U's 3-core 1.3GHz CPU?

What does "confidence in a lower spec hardware" lead to, in the console market?

The possibility for both exists, but I just don't think the quiet option is the likely one.
4.5kg weight implies a very substantial cooler though, so I don't think it'll make a whole lot of noise. The system won't have an enormous TDP, so if cooler is upwards of 1.5kg of the total mass (doesn't seem unreasonable; could be even more actually), you should be able to get pretty much silent running.

Was the XBone's 1.3TF also a show of confidence? How about the Wii U's 3-core 1.3GHz CPU?

What does "confidence in a lower spec hardware" lead to, in the console market?
I was joking. References to self-help relationship advices.

but... PS2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back