PS4 and XB1 Slimification comparison *spawn

Knock Knock, What an utter failure the Durango design was (in competitive terms), Wasn´t the massive ESRAM and fewer logical units bound to skrink better?

is the ps4 slim capable of hdr and uhd playback ? The size difference could come from supporting those features on the xbox .

Knock Knock, What an utter failure the Durango design was (in competitive terms), Wasn´t the massive ESRAM and fewer logical units bound to skrink better?
3/4 numbers there are generated by a pair of callipers. 1 number is a photoshop counting method against something else as reference.

I think we have the ballpark, but there are a few points of failure in the guestimation process, namely what we reference to, lenses used to take the photo etc.

We are talking about < 2mm cumulative reduction difference. So if XBOS was 12 * 20 = 240, and it actually turned out to be 11*19 = 209.

Right? So since Xbox is locked. It's just a question of how far off we are with Slim calculations. 2mm is a reasonable margin of error with the photoshop method

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I made an overlay.
die_comp5upuc.jpg

psd http://rgho.st/7l6PCRm2r

http://www.realmodscene.com/uploads/monthly_09_2016/post-78495-0-26507900-1472750880.jpg
https://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/XboneS-Eurogamer.jpg

Certainly those figures are surprising, but I'd like to see accurate micrometer measurements for both. Esram should be about 40 mm^2 (or that kind of ballpark) on 16 nm, meaning X1 is rather large even without it and especially so considering its smaller memory interface.

Makes me wonder if anything else has been integrated into the SoC.

Unfortunately on my way to a family beach trip. But was thinking to could be fun to bring back some high school calculus here.

X*Y = area.
Where X,Y > 0
Then the constraint...
I assume it's about the number of nodes that can fit in a mm2
Some form of x*y*transistors per MM = transistor count of chip.

Derive and solve for min/max and see what you grt

Trying to get an idea of how big a new, slapped in video decoder block might be, but can't find anything useful.

On top of all Kinect and HDMI passthrough / overlay stuff, X1 is probably carrying a lot of extra bulk now that has absolutely nothing to do with the 32 MB esram pool. I never was sure what that extra chunk of esram and associated logic was for.

Can the S do passthrough / overlay on 4K through its HDMI in, or has it more sensibly stuck to 1080?

Trying to get an idea of how big a new, slapped in video decoder block might be, but can't find anything useful.

On top of all Kinect and HDMI passthrough / overlay stuff, X1 is probably carrying a lot of extra bulk now that has absolutely nothing to do with the 32 MB esram pool. I never was sure what that extra chunk of esram and associated logic was for.

Can the S do passthrough / overlay on 4K through its HDMI in, or has it more sensibly stuck to 1080?
HDMI passthrough is on chipset. Chipset is the same. Stuck on 1080.

That block of SRAM and associated logic between the cores. Presumably it's something to do with Kinect. But what?

They clearlrly went from stacked gpu to single layer.

:D ...how bad you are against skiddies.... Spes Ultima Dea, remember :p

OT: the block in chip's image is attached to the memory bus, it seems.
So it can be:
ARM processor for security (supposing it is using ARM for security, of course)
Any extra processor/stuff not yet embedded in GPU design (Kinect)

The 2 MB of ESRAM are likely for safe storage of... something, be it a secure copy of hypervisor's memory mapping or the Kinect fast processign stuff. Or what the ARM security processor may need, of course, not to be kept in main memory.

Last edited:
Why would you want an XB1S upscaling the PS4 content rather than the television set itself?
User doesn't understand lag, or he values running ps4 through his Xbox. 2 games at once type of thing. Waiting for multiplayer to happen on Xbox, playing single player on ps4.

Back