Nintendo announce: Nintendo NX

Status
Not open for further replies.
32GB to me means it's a handheld. I don't think (even) Nintendo would risk launching a home console with 32GB unless they're planning on completely screwing up digital distribution. 32GB eMMC + SD card makes sense for a handheld.
IMHO 32GB wouldn't be enough even for a handheld, as these should last quite some years and even mobile games sometimes exceed 1GB.
there is still the rumor of cartridges, maybe you can burn downloads on these. Premium price empty cartridges FTW, wouldn't be that different to memory cards from Sony.

IMHO 32GB wouldn't be enough even for a handheld, as these should last quite some years and even mobile games sometimes exceed 1GB.
there is still the rumor of cartridges, maybe you can burn downloads on these. Premium price empty cartridges FTW, wouldn't be that different to memory cards from Sony.

You can get a 128GB SD card for cheap, and if you're willing to pay for it you can even find a 512GB card for $150.
32GB are there for OS and a couple of games that you might want to try out before getting the SD card. The 2nd-gen Vita has 1GB eMMC for the same purpose, and that's not even enough for many single games.

You can get a 128GB SD card for cheap, and if you're willing to pay for it you can even find a 512GB card for $150.
32GB are there for OS and a couple of games that you might want to try out before getting the SD card. The 2nd-gen Vita has 1GB eMMC for the same purpose, and that's not even enough for many single games.
512GB should be enough for a stationary console, especially if it's that easy to swap "drives".

A 6" handheld with 720p resolution ? So size-wise like an Amazon Kindle PW. Why would you buy this, apart from really really interesting exclusives (= Zelda), in the era of 5+ inch iPhones and Android Phones. And via a docket station I'm supposed to watch upscaled 720p games running at (let's hope so) 60 fps ?

Sorry Nintendo, not interested. Don't think the NX will be a huge hit.

What the NX has that phones don't is controls - it's a real handheld console. For those wanting a handheld console, the choices are Vita, 3DS and NX, so it has some merit. I just think those wanting a handheld console aren't that numerous, but 3DS still continues to do okay in Japan and I think Nintendo are pretty myopic when it comes to business decisions, seeing no further than their front yard.

Because it has buttons and sticks which mobiles thoroughly lack...
Besides it will allow you to play games ! And not just any game either ! Nintendo games !
CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT ?!
;)

Why would you buy this, apart from really really interesting exclusives (= Zelda), in the era of 5+ inch iPhones and Android Phones.

Anyone who wants to actually play decent videogames and not only casual F2P cash-grabs (save very rare exceptions) will want a handheld console and not an Android/ios device.

For all intents and purposes, high-profile gaming on either ios or android has pretty much stagnated and never left its embryonary state for the past 4-5 years, both for the lack of interesting titles and non-existence of a standardized control scheme for gamepads.

A 6" handheld with 720p resolution ? So size-wise like an Amazon Kindle PW. Why would you buy this
Yeah. This sounds like an utter piece of crap TBH. "But it runs Nintendo games!" just isn't a convincing sales argument, because other games are fun too and don't need a ridiculously overpriced, underpowered brick to run.

Typical 1920x1080 24' monitor is 92ppi.
1280x720 6.2' is 236.87ppi.

Handheld gaming console does not need more. Native Vita games look very nice even without AA.
Very high res needed only for text and such.
Though 720p would be disappointing on a tv.

You don't look at the same distance to a 24" monitor as you would look at a handheld console..
But yeah, 237 ppi is great for a gaming handheld. It's about the same density as a 10.1" tablet at 1080p, which is quite the sweetspot even today.

I doubt jagginess on that screen will ever be a problem if they adopt some cheap post-processing AA.
If the developers are forced to render below 720p then that's another story.. but that mostly depends on how powerful the thing will be when running PS4One ports (if ever...).

That's better than the base 3DS which came with 4 GB of internal storage (everything was stored on the SD card). Most people replaced the SD card immediately.

Hopefully, Nintendo will provide a better way to transfer data when replacing your SD card. Wasn't too bad for me as I had a Windows machine I could use to do that, but not everyone has that capability.

Regards,
SB

Latest + recap Emily Rogers leaks, notably:

- Region free
- 2 USB2 and 1 USB3
- 32GB + sd cards
- Kind of noisy cooling
- No camera nor micro built in
- Thickness: 14-15mm
- Shoulder buttons
- Battery life not great
- Share button
Grain of salt, not final specs etc.

Ugh. The mere thought of Nintendo going with tegra, and OLD tegra at that for a home console is giving me a bad case of the hives. No way I'd waste money on a piece of shit like that. If this is the direction they're gonna go, then goodbye, Nintendo. It was a nice 30 years, for the most part anyway.

IfN4oTF.png

A gaffer, jaxapollo, made this. Kind of cool to give an idea what the actual console might look like as opposed to all these drawings IMO.

In general, about the NX, I dont know what the hell Nintendo is thinking, again.

They need to take my idea for several years of a 150 bucks Android mini-console type thing, probably with mobile chipset :p...heavy focus on retro gaming but also around a TF or something for Nintendo flagship 3D titles.

Ever since I first heard of the possibility of breakaway controllers I've been wondering about ergonomics, and that image there just makes that even more of a concern. How do you even use the D-pad comfortably when it has to compete with space for the analog pad? If the breakaway controllers are made comfortably large it would make the whole NX absolutely gigantic. And the top corners of each controller are sharp, in that render. Not comfy! If Nintendo rounds them off, the device will look cobbled-together when joined up - which in fact is exactly what it is. So - job done then? Lol.

Then there's the issue of where to put index finger buttons so they're usable in both separated and joined-up mode. Perhaps if you push them in sideways? Would feel odd in breakaway mode, so a button which could be pushed in sideways when joined up, and downwards when split apart... *shrug* If they go that way it would complicate things mechanically.

Then there's the issue of reliability... Having pieces come off and snap back together sounds like a recipe for mechanical failure and breakage. If you drop your NX to the floor, will the locking mechanisms be wrecked by the impact? If not - how big and heavy would they have to be to withstand everyday bangs and impacts, kid treatment and so on?

...Oh, and I just realized; the colored buttons for each controller are mirrored for each player. Hella confusing. So either you disregard colors in games and just go for position in the diamond formation, or you have to fight your muscle memory every time you need to press a button depending on which controller you're using at the time. :p (If the buttons on the left controller are mirrored compared to the right controller to match positions when in breakaway mode, they become basically unusable when joined up, as they will...well... Be mirrored. :p But maybe you're not supposed to use all buttons when in joined mode. But that's typical Nintendo dumb, so I guess that's how it could be.)

I'm thinking Nintendo may have to drop colored buttons if this is the way the device will work. Or, indeed any icon or markings on the buttons, other than perhaps an arrow.

This design just creates tons of issues for Nintendo that may be as bad, if not worse as anything regarding the wuu.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back