Fallout 4 PC discussion

I
Yes, there'll be a point where you have to pick who to work with and you'll antagonise at least one other faction who you spurned. I sided with the Brotherhood because of their shiny toys (and because they did seem like an organisation who could help the Wasteland) and that was actually pretty good. I've also seen the Institute play through (ManyATrueNerd on YouTube) but my next play through will be siding with the Railroad.

I'm curious about post-completion differences between the factions. I have the guide, perhaps I should RTFM! :yep2:
I sided with the railroad and found that even the baddest BoS in power armour could not withstand my stunning supersledge.

I

I sided with the railroad and found that even the baddest BoS in power armour could not withstand my stunning supersledge.

I know, I inadvertently one-shotted (friendly fire, friendly fire!) plenty of BoS paladins during the chaotic fight in their play ending through. I've not played Fallout 4 for a few weeks since completing that play through but I was so powerful there was very little that I couldn't one shot and so much could barely damage me. I wasn't even crazy high level, around 60 or so? :-|

I've got a solid save point before I hit the teleporter thing; I'm gonna try at least the BoS and Minutemen endings because I've heard good things about both. If I still want more, I may try out the railroad and institute endings.

Isn't there also an ending where BoS, RR and Institute all do a group hug of some sort?

I wanted to unite the minutemen and BOS in a joint attack against the Institute but that isn't an option as far as I know. So I took the minutemen for no particular reason.

I've one the main quest now (or like month ago) on two characters, for one I went with BoS for final solution, on the other with Minutemen. Next time I'll likely pick Institute, just because I don't like Railroads ideals.
Though probably I'll wait 'till the modkit is released and we get some proper mods before next playthrough

I've one the main quest now (or like month ago) on two characters, for one I went with BoS for final solution, on the other with Minutemen. Next time I'll likely pick Institute, just because I don't like Railroads ideals.
None of the factions are ideal and it's nice that there is no perfect ending - unless you really happen to agree with the ideals of one of the factions.

I have difficulty with the Institute because...

.. the reason the people of the Commonwealth fear them is they kidnap people and replace them with synths. No explanation is ever given to justify these actions - unless it's in some obscure conversation tree I never found.

Warming up this thread again...

First, I'm not a fan of the BoS final solution. I'm playing through the second half again, this time I'm siding with the Railroad just to see. At some point I want to go axe-murder all the BoS jerks for sending me off to kill the person they want you to kill towards the end of their questline. That, and I want to watch the blimp burn :D

Now, for the warmup reason: did any of you buy the season pass or planning to before March 1st? The DLC teasers I've seen this far haven't completely made up my mind yet, but I'm thinking of plunking the $40 for the season pass before it gets more expensive...

I purchased the season pass yesterday, I know I would've bought it later anyways, so might as well get it before the price goes up.
$30 not $40, at least in the U.S.

Every one of the faction endings involves going on a murderous rampage. The writing involved is just bad.

Fallout 4 - Beta Update 1.4 Is Available

Bethesda has released new beta patch v1.4 for the PC version of Fallout 4. According to its changelog, this update packs general stability and performance improvements and brings a number of fixes. Below the fold an overview of changes.

New Features

• Support for add-ons
  • Additional art customization added to Workshop:
  • Super Mutant clutter including meat totems, meat bags and meat cart
  • Raider clutter including raider poles, cages and tents
  • Abstract and portrait paintings
  • Variety of new signs
  • More metal and wood doors variants
Fixes

• General stability and performance improvements
  • During “Getting a Clue” quest, Kellogg’s desk will remain a working container
  • During “Rocket’s Red Glare”, resolved issue where companions could not be dismissed after completing the quest
  • Fixed an issue with “Kremvh’s Tooth” quest item not spawning properly
  • Settlements under attack will now display an updated message with the results of the attack if player does not respond
  • Fixed an issue with screen effects not clearing away properly after using a scope
  • Fixed an issue with trying to sprint while in third person with a minigun equipped
  • Rank 4 of Demolition Expert perk now properly increases the area effect of explosives
  • The Scrounger perk now includes additional common ammo types
  • Fixed an issue where Calvin Whitaker would disappear in Vault 81
  • Fixed an issue where Ninja and Sandman perks combined would apply the incorrect damage bonus
  • Fixed an issue where Rank 3 of Grim Reaper’s Sprint did not fill critical meter properly
  • Fixed an issue with key cards not spawning correctly in Vault 75
  • Fixed an issue where enemies would stop spawning during “Airship Down”
  • Being in first person while wearing power armor and quickly switching weapons will no longer cause the Pip-Boy to be stuck
  • Fixed an issue with the autosave counter getting incorrectly reset
  • Fixed issue that would cause the Pip-Boy menu to turn invisible while swimming
  • Fixed an issue where scrapping larger quantities of a single item would inadvertently scrap a legendary item
  • Fixed issue where exiting workbenches would cause third person to stop working properly
  • The Scribe can now be assigned consecutive settlements properly
  • Fixed issue with duplicating scraps shipments
  • Fixed issue with vendors not properly exchanging caps after several consecutive transactions in a row
  • Fixed issue with the quicksave and autosave message persisting through loading screens
  • Fixed an issue where updating to the latest patch would cause Options settings to reset back to default (Xbox One)
  • Fixed an issue with loading save with a placed object in water, not properly floating

Any of you playing the DLC?

I bought the Season Pass while it was still $30 USD, and fired it up a few nights ago to play The Mechanist DLC. I loaded up a savegame from before I decided which faction to end with, and played thru just the DLC content and nothing else for three nights. The whole thing is perhaps four hours of content, less if you just smash straight through it. Overall I felt the quality was "OK"...

I'm level 55 and haven't done ANY of the robotics perks, my character is more of a ranged sneak setup. With my modded Experiment 18A weapon and my modded Instigating Gauss Rifle, most of the robots can be dealt with one or just a few shots. Still, they can be challenging as they tend to come in high quantities and zerg-rush you.

I made my way to the final showdown, and now I've become stuck -- actually, one of the final boss robots is what became stuck, and since I can't kill it, I can't proceed to the next cutscene. Up to this point, I haven't modded or created a single robot outside of the mandatory items required to move the story forward.

I know more DLC is coming for the Season Pass holders, so I'm not unhappy with the purchase. I just hope this DLC isn't indicative of the thoughtfulness being put forth for the future expansions...

Finished it yesterday, probably about 4 hours to complete, did't really pay much attention to the time.
Like you said, it was OK, thankfully I didn't experience any bugs like you did.
I will say, those exploding robots were a pain in the ass.

Warmup round two: Anyone playing the Far Harbor DLC?

I eventually got "unstuck" from the prior DLC, not sure exactly what happened there. Anyway, last DLC was ok at best. I felt it was short all the way round: content, story and additional play time were all served up in minor doses. The end result of being able to build your own robots was neat for a while, but ultimately wasn't something I found amazingly useful.

The new Far Harbor DLC appears to be far more of everything. As has been mentioned in other online reviews, the fog isn't really a barrier to entry. I've given it a few hours of playtime so far, and I'm liking what I see.

I just started a fresh game, only problem is, I can't get F4se to work, just returns to desktop and it's logs don't give any clues on what's going on. Luckily I would only really need it for the achievement mod, but IIRC there was some other mod I kinda liked that used it, too.

Warmup round two: Anyone playing the Far Harbor DLC?

I eventually got "unstuck" from the prior DLC, not sure exactly what happened there. Anyway, last DLC was ok at best. I felt it was short all the way round: content, story and additional play time were all served up in minor doses. The end result of being able to build your own robots was neat for a while, but ultimately wasn't something I found amazingly useful.

The new Far Harbor DLC appears to be far more of everything. As has been mentioned in other online reviews, the fog isn't really a barrier to entry. I've given it a few hours of playtime so far, and I'm liking what I see.

I finished the main quest of Far Harbor, liked it. But I liked the previous short DLC, so... I didn't care about the robot, mais I liked the story, cause in the end she ended up recognizing me as the silver shroud, and is a ally now, so it's cool.

NVIDIA Reveals ‘Vault 1080’ Fallout 4 Mod Packed with Next-Gen GameWorks Tech [geforce.com]

Vault 1080 is an official NVIDIA mod, and as such packs a serious technological punch. Volumetric lighting features extensively – in ways not seen in the standard game – while shadows are more realistic and velvety than ever. This is thanks to HBAO+ and its control of ambient occlusion, which creates authentic depths anywhere a light source is blocked, no matter how small or fleeting.

You’ll also see those lovely godrays whenever you do find the sun, plus weapon debris and new meshes and materials.

But this is not just about looks. Vault 1080 uses its terrifyingly realistic light and shadow as the core of its experience. It’s a dark and ominous journey before you even head below ground, as you travel to the ruins of a fog-shrouded church through hostile marshland. Once in you find the entrance to Vault 1080 and its dark, intimidating tunnels. Tunnels that are, inevitably, full of twisted dangers.

This is a big mod – equal in size to the other vaults spread across the commonwealth – with its own brand new questline. And it’s a Fallout vault like you’ve never seen before.

It’s certainly taken its toll on its occupants. They’ve become a congregation that embraces the darkness and sickness, and they’ve done it – so they believe – to survive. They’re not the friendliest bunch. But is the whole thing built on lies? The truth is deep within Vault 1080, through a whole lot of fearful mystery. Find it and decide for yourself whether the monsters deserve their salvation… or not.

Discover what awaits you in Vault 1080 by downloading the new NVIDIA mod at Bethesda.net for Fallout 4, which is now available on PC.

Available from Bethesda.net on 2nd September. PC only I'm guessing.

:runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway:

Oh I'm such a dolt. I went looking for 10 minutes to no avail, why couldn't I find it?!?

And then I actually READ the last portion of the post -- 2nd September. Duuuuhhhhh.

I can remember I was excited when nVidia did something similar for one of the UT games. They designed some custom maps that took advantage of PhsX, IIRC. There was one with tornadoes and a sandstorm, another with collapsing floors, etc. I had a GTX 8800 at the time, to give a rough idea of the era.

Then there was Creative, before that, with those awesome EAX effects for the original UT that you could enable by downloading a custom patch.

Well, if Fallout 4 GOTY gets a big discount I'll be extra tempted now.

Back