PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Scorpio could indeed sway people to pick up consoles en masse. At 4.2TFlops a PS4 Neo won't give any graphical improvements other than resolution at 4K. However, at 6-7 TFlop the Scorpio could potentially have a graphics advantage.

Here I was thinking the Scorpio was going to be 6TFlops, not 7, anyway, I disagree. Neither the Neo nor Scorpio will have a graphics advantage unless they forget 4K. Will a 6TFlops Scorpio be able to render PS4 level graphics @30fps in 4K....I seriously doubt it would. For the Neo and Scorpio to be successful at being stronger consoles they need to move away from native 4K rendering and look at 1440p or lower and spend the extra resources on higher framerates and better graphic fidelity.

I think people are going to realize that the PS4 NEO offers almost nothing unless they have a 4K television. Then it will offer a higher resolution image. If they have PSVR they will get a doubling of frame rates and perhaps comptibility for PSVR 2 that will have a higher resolution display.

This is where we question 4K in general. I think 4K should be an option, but not the be all and end all. I think the Neo could potentially offer 2 options for the Neo-mode. They could offer an upscaled 4k version of the PS4 original, maybe with a more solid framerate. Option two would be better graphics and higher framerate but at 1080p only. Yes of course there will be advantages when using PSVR, with higher framerates etc.

I propose that Sony should cancel the NEO all together and wait until they can launch the PS5 with a 10-12TFlop GPU. This will allow for 4K gaming with some graphical boost.

When do you think Sony could release a PS5 that has 10-12TFlop GPU? Is this achievable within the next 3 years? I would seriously doubt that. I do agree though that to see true 4K gaming with a proper graphical boost, we will need in excess of 10TFlops for that to happen, I just don't see that happening anytime soon.

I expect the PS5 to release at the end of 2019 or at the latest, early 2020, but would seriously doubt they would be able to get over 10TFlops.

I would die for a console focused on upscaled 720P or 1080P. A PS5 focused on this resolution could create some awesome graphics. However, it won't happen.
Once again. As nice as a supposed supersampling console would be (render at 4k, output at 720p/1080p?), the main reason it doesn't happen is capitalism. Growing number of ever advancing TVs at ever growing resolutions need to be sold. Capitalism is evil. Power to the people. Next!

8x to 10x per generation.
3x per mid-gen.
1.4x per year is a good average.

GPUs increase by 3x every 2 nodes.
We get two node jumps every 3 or 4 years.

15TF in 2020 doesn't sound that far fetched on 7nm?

And again, nothing has changed for those gamers that for whatever reason want to stick to a 6+ years cycle. Neo comes out this year, and in 3-4 years you'll still get the 'real' new generation with the PS5 or whatever.

But in the meantime you and everyone else have the option for a half-gen refresh that you can simply ignore, like many of us will, while enjoying your original PS4.

I really don't understand the hostility.
It does change it for me. Mid cycle upgrades are things I never worried about before and never asked for. Now I am thinking about upgrading and I even wonder if devs will be squeezing as much as possible out of the console as they used to when the specs were fixed.

It does change it for me. Mid cycle upgrades are things I never worried about before and never asked for.
Then ignore it.
Now I am thinking about upgrading and I even wonder if devs will be squeezing as much as possible out of the console as they used to when the specs were fixed.
they are still competing with other devs for PS4 owners' money. And the techniques used to get the most from Neo will apply to PS4. The only time PS4 will be dropped for optimisation is if the market shows gamers want Neo and PS4 software sales dive off a cliff. Until then (which isn't going to happen), PS4 will be targeted like any other console.

3x per mid-gen.

If a console comes out in 2020 (assuming PS5) I wouldn't be surprised if it's more around 12Tflops. Remember to get a 6Tflop console Microsoft had to wait until fall 2017. I think 15Tflop for console would be pushing it even in 2020.

Then ignore it.
Human psychology doesnt work that way.
Many products we wouldnt care about if we didnt know they existed
they are still competing with other devs for PS4 owners' money. And the techniques used to get the most from Neo will apply to PS4. The only time PS4 will be dropped for optimisation is if the market shows gamers want Neo and PS4 software sales dive off a cliff. Until then (which isn't going to happen), PS4 will be targeted like any other console.
Not convinced

Human psychology doesnt work that way.
Many products we wouldnt care about if we didnt know they existed
Well then your argument is against capitalism. ;) If Sony introducing Neo is able to get people like you who wouldn't buy a new console to buy a new console, they're job is done. If you can't resist that, you'll be doing your part for the economy. :D

Not convinced
Why? Explain the reasoning for devs not working hard to get the most from PS4 when it's the dominant platform.

3x per mid-gen.

Fabrication and investment into said infrastructure costs, complexity etc are factors here not being counted for. May not exactly hit the timelines you are proposing here. IIRC we are now hitting the harder part of fabrication.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well then your argument is against capitalism. ;) If Sony introducing Neo is able to get people like you who wouldn't buy a new console to buy a new console, they're job is done. If you can't resist that, you'll be doing your part for the economy. :D
Thats a dominant but flawed impression of the economy which goes against even its own interpretation.
Why? Explain the reasoning for devs not working hard to get the most from PS4 when it's the dominant platform.
When there is pressure and only one option, there is only one guaranteed outcome. When there is an additional option there are more outcomes.
Even if the PS4 vanilla is not squeezed into the maximum, it will still be a dominant platform together with PS4 Neo.

720P is MORE than enough resolution to show a photorealistic image.

I watch every television show and movie on a 720P display and every live action television show looks fully realistic with actors who look "alive" and not like animated characters. Upscaled to 1080P, the 720P image would look even better.

Please don't taunt me by saying the WiiU is the solution for what I want. The WiiU does NOT have the processing power to produce near photorealistic games. However, a PS5 with a 10-12TFlop GPU could produce AMAZINGLY photorealistic games at 720P and 30FPS. They could look VERY CLOSE to a live action television show like, "The Walking Dead."

Even a 4.2TFlop PS4 NEO could produce a GREAT looking 720P 30FPS game, but targetting 1400P and 60FPS would eat up ANY extra graphical power.

babcat, your passion for photorealism has to be so consuming, you just have to wait for it, it won't happen overnight.

7 days to go... Curiosity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back